Home

Please support mflenses.com if you need any graphic related work order it from us, click on above banner to order!

SearchSearch MemberlistMemberlist RegisterRegister ProfileProfile Log in to check your private messagesLog in to check your private messages Log inLog in

Tip For Loading Plastic Reels
View previous topic :: View next topic  

PostPosted: Fri Nov 19, 2010 1:53 pm    Post subject: Tip For Loading Plastic Reels Reply with quote

Here is a simple tip for loading film on to plastic reels.

http://monochromephotography.wordpress.com/2010/11/19/a-tip-for-loading-plastic-film-reels/

PostPosted: Fri Nov 19, 2010 2:24 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Looks cool.. have to try it.

And your hands have to be dry. I have tried to do it in August while sweating inside the changing bag .. total disaster.

PostPosted: Thu Nov 25, 2010 3:06 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

Hmmm ... must try that. My last 120 roll was quite a hassle to load. Thanks.

PostPosted: Thu Nov 25, 2010 5:36 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

Actually the box that he uses (for shanghai gp3) is appropriate. Now THAT film is a hassle to load because of its heavy curl. I don't use a changing bag as I have a full darkroom but I will certainly give that a try.

PostPosted: Thu Nov 25, 2010 7:11 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

The best tip I have for plastic reels is to get rid of them and buy steel ones.

PostPosted: Thu Nov 25, 2010 7:40 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

martinsmith99 wrote:
The best tip I have for plastic reels is to get rid of them and buy steel ones.

+1

PostPosted: Thu Nov 25, 2010 9:33 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

Myself, never used the metal ones, they seem to be... a learning experience Laughing and I don't need that particular learning experience Laughing

There's a variant of the plastic reel that has bigger tabs - these do something like what this tip is about. Makes loading easier.

PostPosted: Fri Nov 26, 2010 7:15 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

Nesster wrote:
Myself, never used the metal ones, they seem to be... a learning experience Laughing and I don't need that particular learning experience Laughing

There's a variant of the plastic reel that has bigger tabs - these do something like what this tip is about. Makes loading easier.

No learning required. Attach to clip and wind on.

I used to hate loading the plastic reels and it really spoiled the developing experience for me. Not an issue anymore.

PostPosted: Fri Nov 26, 2010 11:50 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

My little tip for loading film is to ensure that the direction of the coil of film finishes up in the same direction on the reel, like rewinding a tape cassette. Like this:

It took me 1.5 hours of fiddling with 120 film before I realised this and turned the film over! Smile

Martin and Ludoo - I might try the steel reels. Which make, and do they fit in a Paterson tank?

Last edited by peterqd on Fri Nov 26, 2010 12:02 pm; edited 1 time in total

PostPosted: Fri Nov 26, 2010 11:55 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

peterqd wrote:
Martin and Ludoo - I might try the steel reels. Which make, and do they fit in a Paterson tank?

You need a steel tank for steel reels. I have two Kindermann tanks I bought on ebay, Nikor tanks are very good too. People on RFF love Hewes reel, which you can buy new.

Remember that loading a steel reel is different from a plastic one: with plastic reels you use them to pull the film inside, with steel reels you push film and the reel rotates by consequence in your hand. And from time to time, give film a little tug (push+pull) to feel that it's riding correctly inside the rails. It sounds difficult but it's pretty easy once you've tried it a couple of times. As an additional bonus, steel reels use less chemistry (mine uses 240ml).