Home

Please support mflenses.com if you need any graphic related work order it from us, click on above banner to order!

SearchSearch MemberlistMemberlist RegisterRegister ProfileProfile Log in to check your private messagesLog in to check your private messages Log inLog in

Canon FD to 4/3rds adaptor
View previous topic :: View next topic  

PostPosted: Sun Oct 18, 2009 8:28 pm    Post subject: Canon FD to 4/3rds adaptor Reply with quote

I have recently been given a couple of FD Lenses and I would like to use them on my E-520. I currently use OM and F mount lenses on the E-520 but I understand that FD lenses need an adaptor with a corrective optic to reach infinity focus.

However those adaptors with no glass say it will not reach infinity and are for macro only. What does this mean by no infinity focus? Will they work right up until infinity using the distance sale on the lens? or is this affected aswell?

Is it the case that the FD lens works up till it's maximum distance as per on the lens then no further? in which case if a lens sais it will focus to 50 m on the scale can it still accomplish this?

Sorry for all the questions, but any help will be much appreciated.

PostPosted: Sun Oct 18, 2009 8:56 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Hi,

it is very easy

adapter with glass - you can focus to infinity, but you will lose a lot of quality because there is a cheap lens in the adapter

adapter without glass - depending on the original focal length of your lens you can only focus from for example 1 m to perhaps 10 m, the rest will be unsharp.
You can´t get a sharp image at infinity.

There is only one series of cams (Panasonic G1/GH1/GF1 or the Olympus Pen, all m4/3) where you can use FD lenses without losing the quality.

Samples see here
http://forum.mflenses.com/panasonic-g1-t20948,start,15.html

or you contact our member trifox, he will reconstruct the lens to another mount.

PostPosted: Sun Oct 18, 2009 9:06 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

so a 300mm lens that should focus to 50m may only reach 20m before reaching its limit?

Which leads to me another question why is it that Nikon F mount lenses can fit on EOS EF bodies without corrective optics?

The flange focal distance on a nikon is 46.50 mm and a canon EOS is 44.00 mm. An adaptor of 2.50mm can be used and works to infinity.

The flange focal distance on a 4/3rds is 38.67 mm and canon FD is 42.00mm...

so an adaptor of 3.33mm could be used to reach infinity....

so why are there no slim adaptors like th F - EF mount for FD - 4/3rds?

PostPosted: Sun Oct 18, 2009 9:48 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

qwerty3557 wrote:
so a 300mm lens that should focus to 50m may only reach 20m before reaching its limit?

Which leads to me another question why is it that Nikon F mount lenses can fit on EOS EF bodies without corrective optics?

The flange focal distance on a nikon is 46.50 mm and a canon EOS is 44.00 mm. An adaptor of 2.50mm can be used and works to infinity.

No, normally you can focus to infinity with your 300mm lens (and not 50m) and you will get a sharp image, with the adapter infinity will be in maybe 20m and sharp too, but the rest will be in every case unsharp

Sorry, for the rest of your post you have to ask the adapter and lens engineers

PostPosted: Sun Oct 18, 2009 10:27 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

qwerty3557 wrote:

There is a good reason.
Firstly, the Nikon mount has a small diameter, while the Canon EF/EOS has a large diameter. PART of the Nikon mount fits inside the Canon EF mount, so this makes it easy to produce an adapter with a difference in flange distance of 2.5mm. (a thickness of 2.5mm)

On the other hand, the Canon FL/FD mount has a large diameter breech lock mount. That mechanism adds about 4mm to the distance. e.g. The flange is 42.00mm on the FL/FD, but the back of the breech lock adds around 4mm of distance, so that the lens unmodified, cannot even be pressed flush to a 4/3 mount.
Added to this, the breech lock mount had a large diameter, so NONE of the lens fits paritally inside the 4/3 mount.