Home

Please support mflenses.com if you need any graphic related work order it from us, click on above banner to order!

SearchSearch MemberlistMemberlist RegisterRegister ProfileProfile Log in to check your private messagesLog in to check your private messages Log inLog in

Vivitar Series 1 28/1.9 vs. the Flektogon
View previous topic :: View next topic  

PostPosted: Wed Sep 23, 2009 5:30 pm    Post subject: Vivitar Series 1 28/1.9 vs. the Flektogon Reply with quote

Just received yet another M42 lens. Since the Carl Zeiss Jena 20's are getting ridiculously expensive, bought actually two Vivitars, a 17/3.5 and a Series 1 28/1.9. The 17 mm has not arrived yet. Did not really need a 28 mm, but as someone was selling this Series 1 Vivitar (serial 377xxxxx) for a bargain price at eBay, just could not resist. You know how it is. Don't tell my wife, though.

To better evaluate it, I compared it against the Carl Zeiss Jena Flektogon 35/2.4, which I like a lot.

Please note: This comparison is totally unscientific and un-everything, absolutely subjective perceptions of an amateur only. All shots are handheld. Focusing done using a calibrated split screen.

Subjective opinions:

SHARPNESS - Good
Wide open, the Viv seems OK in sharpness - which was a surprise, I expected it to be soft at f/1.9. It gets even sharper already at f/2.4, where it seems to match my Flektogon when focusing close. For inifinity shots, the Flektogon won at tests shot at f/2.4, f/5.6 and f/11.
Did not test the borders separately, but I am using a crop camera and both seem quite OK at the borders.

BOKEH - Unique
Comparing against the Flektogon, the Viv bokeh often seems busy - like a zoom effect with a bit harsh highlights, repeating in overlapping patterns. Also (IMHO) in the Vivitar shots, the transition from focus to out-of-focus areas was not as smooth as with the Flektogon.
But for some shots, all this actually created a personal look. Sometimes soft, smooth bokeh can be boring, so this lens might be the one to use for unique, dynamic bokeh shots.

I would not try to use these wide lenses for smooth bokeh anyhow. The f/1.9 speed will be used for natural light shots inside, perhaps - f/1.9 and 28 mm make this a good lens to use inside in small rooms without a flash. For smooth bokeh - comparing the apple shot with Yashinon 50/1.4, Sonnar 135/3.5 and even the Helios-44-3 - both wide lenses render a more clumsy, edgy bokeh.

COLORS and CONTRAST - Good
Both lenses have a nice contrast. Using auto WB, the Viv rendered consistently different colors than the Flektogon. The Vivitar renders warm and saturated colors, the Flektogon cool colors, maybe slightly less saturated. Copy-paste WB and saturation between the shots of the lenses in post-processing and they look the same.

HANDLING and BUILD - Good
Feels robust. The focusing motion is not even throughout the range, but I read somewhere that it is normal for this lens.

FLARE, C/A etc.
Did not test. Both lenses had a hood on, since the sun was low.

MACRO - could be OK?
I've used the Flektogon a lot with extension tubes. The Vivitar, too focuses close (less than 30 cm), and works nicely with tubes. Has even floating element correction for close focus...
Also, surprisingly, bokeh with tubes became very nice and smooth / painting-like - actually it is better than with the Flektogon. Need to test more.

TEST SHOTS

Vivitar test shots at Flickr:
http://www.flickr.com/photos/mikkokam/tags/vivitarseries12819/

--
1. Bokeh test. Vivitar renders a very dynamic bokeh. Seems like the Vivitar apple is flying 100 mph through the bokeh. More visible at full-screen than the thumbnail here, though.
Left: Flektogon 35/2.4 at f/2.4, Right: Vivitar Series 1 28/1.9 at f/1.9

--
2. Bokeh test continued. at f/2.4, the Viv settles down a bit.
Left: Vivitar Series 1 28/1.9 at f/1.9, Right: Vivitar Series 1 28/1.9 at f/2.4
Cropped:

--
3. Infinity shots / sharpness. The Flektogon was better at all test shots.
Left: Flektogon 35/2.4 at f/11, Right: Vivitar Series 1 28/1.9 at f/11
Heavily cropped and enlarged details from the center, here at > 100%:

--
4. Macro test, with a single extension tube #3. Very smooth, even more so than with the Flektogon.
Vivitar Series 1 28/1.9 at f/1.9

Last edited by mikkokam on Thu Sep 24, 2009 4:06 am; edited 1 time in total

PostPosted: Wed Sep 23, 2009 6:10 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

A Series 1 28/1.9 at a bargain price? Wow! Congratulations!

PostPosted: Wed Sep 23, 2009 6:13 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

LucisPictor wrote:
A Series 1 28/1.9 at a bargain price? Wow! Congratulations!

40 EUR. I think that is an OK deal, the lens is almost as new...

PostPosted: Wed Sep 23, 2009 7:25 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

That's a great deal!!