Home

Please support mflenses.com if you need any graphic related work order it from us, click on above banner to order!

SearchSearch MemberlistMemberlist RegisterRegister ProfileProfile Log in to check your private messagesLog in to check your private messages Log inLog in

Tokina 17mm
View previous topic :: View next topic  

PostPosted: Wed Sep 16, 2009 4:42 pm    Post subject: Tokina 17mm Reply with quote

A buddy is curious about this one. Any experience or opinions on it?

Thanks
Kiron Kid

PostPosted: Wed Sep 16, 2009 5:00 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

A very nice lens. About as good as the legendary Tamron SP 17mm and often a lot cheaper.

Another hint: he should try to find a Vivtar 3.5/17, that's the same lens like the Tokina and much cheaper (but they are getting more and more expensive, people have realized!)

PostPosted: Wed Sep 16, 2009 5:33 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Which one ? I have the RMC 3.5/17 but I think that there is an ATX which is supposed to be better. I think that the RMC is good but probably not great. Unfortunately I'm not sure what I can compare it with. I don't think it's as sharp as the Zenitar 2.8/16, Arsat 2.8/20 or Nikkor 3.5/20 UD (my copies of course). It is close in IQ to the Nikkor 18-55 VR kit lens. This may seem like a strange comparison (I have pics if anyone is interested) but the non-VR version of the kit lens has been highly rated at the wide end.

PostPosted: Wed Sep 16, 2009 5:43 pm    Post subject: Tamron 17mm SP, WEP 21mm and Distagon 40mm... Reply with quote

Hello:

I bought about 1989 the Tamron SP 17 mm and it has been very useful to me for photography of ruins. The quality is very good.

Earlier it was using a WEP of 21 mm (I believe) that it has form of bell. The quality of the photos was medium: it looks alike in the form to my Distagón 40 mm for Hasselblad C but the last one is something better (laughs).

Bests Regards: David.

PostPosted: Wed Sep 16, 2009 6:22 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

sichko wrote:
... I don't think it's as sharp as the Zenitar 2.8/16, Arsat 2.8/20 or Nikkor 3.5/20 UD ...

I'm selling one at the moment. Perhaps that's an alternative for your buddy...

PostPosted: Wed Sep 16, 2009 6:25 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Nice lens, works quite well, so I have two (one as backup)

PostPosted: Wed Sep 16, 2009 6:30 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

LucisPictor wrote:
sichko wrote:
... I don't think it's as sharp as the Zenitar 2.8/16, Arsat 2.8/20 or Nikkor 3.5/20 UD ...

I'm selling one at the moment. Perhaps that's an alternative for your buddy...

Nikkor UD is far better than Tamron SP 17 , truly fantastic lens for money.

PostPosted: Wed Sep 16, 2009 6:51 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Thanks for the replies. I have and use the Tamron SP 17 f/3.5 and like it. My buddy is just curious about the Tokina 17mm.

Kiron Kid

PostPosted: Thu Sep 17, 2009 1:12 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

LucisPictor wrote:
A very nice lens. About as good as the legendary Tamron SP 17mm and often a lot cheaper.

Another hint: he should try to find a Vivtar 3.5/17, that's the same lens like the Tokina and much cheaper (but they are getting more and more expensive, people have realized!)

I have a Vivitar 3.5/17 in Canon mount. S/N 378... So, you think this lens might have been made by Tokina? Does the Tokina have the "wings?"

It's a nice lens, but has noticeable barrel distortion along the edges. I've found I can live with that, though, since it's not an issue with landscapes and such, and even if one is photographing architecture, as long as straight lines aren't placed too close to the edge, it's not a big deal.

Here's a photo of my 17:

Michael

PostPosted: Thu Sep 17, 2009 2:36 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

LucisPictor wrote:
(but they are getting more and more expensive, people have realized!)

and you are not innocent! Very Happy

PostPosted: Thu Sep 17, 2009 2:51 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

Yes, it's Tokina made.

Kiron Kid (MrVivSeries1)

PostPosted: Thu Sep 17, 2009 5:59 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

Click here to see on Ebay
Tokina AT-X 17 AF pro...is that the one you mentioned?

PostPosted: Mon Oct 12, 2009 9:18 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

New to the forum although I have read it for quite a while now. Helped me out a lot! Anyways, just thought I would throw this out there since it's something I just looked into myself.

I picked up a spiratone 18mm f/3.5 and it looks the same as the Vivitar 17mm image posted above. After some digging I discovered it is indeed the same lens, just labeled a bit differently. Tokina made as well. Great little lens! Not a corner-to-corner sharp contender by any means but it handles quite well. I posted what I found about it on a blog I have started in an attempt to compile this type of information, mostly for my own reference.

Again, however, not the Tokina 17mm so I too am anxious to hear about this lens.

PostPosted: Mon Oct 12, 2009 9:34 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Welcome! Thank you for this valuable information! I guess Spiratone 18mm lenses are come from different sources. Please post picture from your lens!

PostPosted: Mon Oct 12, 2009 9:46 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

The Tokina 17mm AF goes for a hefty premium compared to the older MF Tokina 17mm. Browsing through eBay just now for 17mm's of any flavor, it appears that one can expect to pay $300 and up for a good one. I found a few that were being offered in groups of more than one item, which might be the way to go. Buy the lot, then sell off the other items, and you'll probably be money ahead.

PostPosted: Mon Oct 12, 2009 10:16 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

I have the Tokina 17 ATX - it is a very decent lens for its pedigree. Definitely not a Distagon, but no slouch. Soft on the edges right up to f8, but quite clean from then on. Some vignetting, but not serious and easily cured. Some distortion, but proper software can deal with it.

patrickh

PostPosted: Tue Oct 13, 2009 9:08 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

Or maybe wait for the Samyang 14mm? If it is good I might even sell my Zenitar 16mm. Cool

PostPosted: Tue Oct 13, 2009 5:31 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

I'll bet the Samyang 14mm will be quite a bit more expensive than the 85mm f/1.4. Sure does look a lot like the Canon FD 14mm f/2.8L. I wonder if it might be a clone of that lens.

Hmmm . . .

If it is, that would be really cool. I had a chance to borrow a 14mm f/2.8L briefly years ago. Geez, what an amazing lens it was.

PostPosted: Tue Oct 13, 2009 8:10 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Here is my spiratone 18mm I was mentioning earlier:

I added the spiratone graphic (as I often like to do) haha. And on the 14mm note, we had the nikon 14mm f/2.8 at school but strictly for studio use. But honestly, with the size of that studio, give me a break. Needless to say, I had to break it outta there and take it for a walk. It was amazing! I am interested in seeing how the samyang will perform.

PostPosted: Tue Oct 13, 2009 8:13 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Thank you David, I think I saw older model before.
Please do me a favorite and upload to Equipment Gallery too with lens name in title.

PostPosted: Wed Oct 14, 2009 8:37 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Pre-Order price for the Samyang is 260€. But they postponed the release to iron out some flaws inherent in the early versions. Cool

PostPosted: Thu Oct 15, 2009 2:39 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

Nima wrote:
Pre-Order price for the Samyang is 260€. But they postponed the release to iron out some flaws inherent in the early versions. Cool

Good news -- well about the price, at least. Lessee, 260€ is what -- about a hundred eighty bazillion USD now? Cool

Seriously, that's very affordable considering the focal length, especially if it's in the same league as the 85/1.4.