Home

Please support mflenses.com if you need any graphic related work order it from us, click on above banner to order!

SearchSearch MemberlistMemberlist RegisterRegister ProfileProfile Log in to check your private messagesLog in to check your private messages Log inLog in

Jupiter 9 85/2
View previous topic :: View next topic  

PostPosted: Mon Sep 07, 2009 10:14 am    Post subject: Jupiter 9 85/2 Reply with quote

My Jupiter 9 85/2 arrived today as well, i want a Leica Summilux 80/1.4 but can't afford it Crying or Very sad so i thought i would try out the Jupiter as a portrait lens until my bank balance recovers from all these manual lenses you guys are inspiring me to own....

Here it is mounted on my old SD10 body

The lens was described as exc+ from the eBay seller, but when i just took this image i saw this on the front element... Look just bellow the f8 - 16 marks and near the company logo.

Is this something i should be worried about, and if you were selling this lens would you describe it as exc+? The aperture blades are also oily, is this normal?

The lens was bought from semensky on eBay, has anyone dealt with him before??

Last edited by rpo83 on Mon Sep 07, 2009 10:48 am; edited 1 time in total

PostPosted: Mon Sep 07, 2009 10:37 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

Oily blades are normal , I saw nothing on pictures perhaps my laptop display not enough to see it.

PostPosted: Mon Sep 07, 2009 10:38 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

I'm finding it difficult to see the marks you are talking about - I'll check my monitor. I've bought a couple of items from semensky and I've been very pleased. I would certainly consider him again. As for the exc+ - I think you need to take it with a pinch of salt and look at the photographs. I bought a Nikkor 50mm, which was described as exc++, from a large UK dealer (not on the bay). It had had two dings on the filter ring. These had been repaired but not very well. Presumably one "+" for each ding.

Oil on the rings is normal for this lens - and some others. It's part of the design and manufacture. I bought a copy of this lens (this model as well) where the buyer said "he didn't think that he could see any oil". I suspected him of not being completely honest. I was right and I received a pristine lens with bright, shiny, and lightly oiled, aperture blades.

PostPosted: Mon Sep 07, 2009 10:47 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

Hi Guys,

Thanks for the quick feedback.

I have highlighted the areas in red, hopefully the image will update soon.

It looks like spiderwebs, emanating from the edge of the element towards the lens centre.

I am probably being paranoid, i only saw it once i had taken the photo, it was very hard to see with the naked eye.

PostPosted: Mon Sep 07, 2009 11:06 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

Looks like fungus to me.

PostPosted: Mon Sep 07, 2009 11:40 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

looks like fungus to me too

PostPosted: Mon Sep 07, 2009 11:47 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

Thanks guys,

Unfortunately, i knew you were going to say the dreaded "F" word Crying or Very sad

I have emailed him pics of the problem, i'll wait for his reply.

PostPosted: Mon Sep 07, 2009 11:55 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

At least it should be easy enough to clean up.

PostPosted: Mon Sep 07, 2009 11:58 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

I have never pulled a lens apart, never had the courage Shocked

From your comment, am i to assume these ones are easy????

PostPosted: Mon Sep 07, 2009 12:07 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

The front element is easy to remove - one simple retaining ring. If you have to go deeper I don't know.

PostPosted: Mon Sep 07, 2009 12:17 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Well, I also received my J9 today (with Nikon-M42 adapter included). Must be Jupiter day!

Mine is the uncoated (well, not multicoated) version, looks similar to the one in the first post except the focus ring is scalloped like old pre-AI Nikkors. The front element has a lot of cleaning arks, and there is a tiny chip out of the rear element. Not exactly as described: "en bon état-pas de griffe ni de champignons" well at least there was indeed no fungus, and the overall condition seems okay.

The multiblade iris diaphragm is quite amazing.

Fired off a couple of quick tests, soft and glowwy wide open as expected.

Also as expected, no infinity focus; it seems to go out to maybe five to six metres?

Photos once I have them.

PostPosted: Mon Sep 07, 2009 1:03 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

ChrisLilley wrote:
Also as expected, no infinity focus; it seems to go out to maybe five to six metres?

If you disassemble the lens (the optical bloc simply unscrews from the rear part), you will find a shim. Maybe you could gain a little focusing distance by removing it ...

PostPosted: Mon Sep 07, 2009 3:33 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

ChrisLilley wrote:
Well, I also received my J9 today (with Nikon-M42 adapter included). Must be Jupiter day!

Mine is the uncoated (well, not multicoated) version, looks similar to the one in the first post except the focus ring is scalloped like old pre-AI Nikkors. The front element has a lot of cleaning arks, and there is a tiny chip out of the rear element. Not exactly as described: "en bon état-pas de griffe ni de champignons" well at least there was indeed no fungus, and the overall condition seems okay.

The multiblade iris diaphragm is quite amazing.

Fired off a couple of quick tests, soft and glowwy wide open as expected.

Photos once I have them.

J9 is one of the adjustable lens to reach infinity on Nikon. I remember somebody do it here.

After quick search in Google I found this.
http://www.ragarecords.com/photo/m42jupiter9nikonf.html

PostPosted: Mon Sep 07, 2009 4:18 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

rpo83

Not matter. Great portrait lens.

Oily? It's normal in pre-set lenses.

Fungus? Till I see, easy to clean.

DO it an enjoy your really first class portrait lens.

Good luck.

PostPosted: Tue Sep 08, 2009 6:17 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

I've no experience with this lens. To the people that have it, why do you like it? Sharpness, bokeh?

PostPosted: Tue Sep 08, 2009 7:09 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

martinsmith99 wrote:
I've no experience with this lens. To the people that have it, why do you like it? Sharpness, bokeh?

Perfect portrait lens, bokeh , sharpness ideal for portraits. Not too sharp at wide open but not too soft either. Stopped down pretty sharp.

PostPosted: Tue Sep 08, 2009 7:21 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

Thanks Attila - This was one of the lenses I originally shortlisted along with the Volna 3 (which I owned and then sold; a decision I regret) and the Tamron 90.

I think it would be quite different to the Tamron so I'm tempted to pick one up.

PostPosted: Tue Sep 08, 2009 8:24 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

Hello. I been lurking for the past week and have been eyeing the Jupiter-9. I read how the build quality is shaky. Is there a way to find a great one or should I just not worry about it and just buy one off ebay?

PostPosted: Tue Sep 08, 2009 8:41 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

Heezzi wrote:
Hello. I been lurking for the past week and have been eyeing the Jupiter-9. I read how the build quality is shaky. Is there a way to find a great one or should I just not worry about it and just buy one off ebay?

Welcome! Nothing wrong with built quality, Kalasnyikov built works fine everywhere take from Ebay but be sure buy SLR lens it has rangefinder version too.

PostPosted: Tue Sep 08, 2009 2:52 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Attila wrote:
martinsmith99 wrote:

Perfect portrait lens, bokeh , sharpness ideal for portraits. Not too sharp at wide open but not too soft either. Stopped down pretty sharp.

Yes, Attila once again is right.

The J-9 has a particular touch, ideal for portraits. People and animals portraits. Perhaps all class of near subjects.

PostPosted: Tue Sep 08, 2009 3:57 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Attila wrote:
Heezzi wrote:

Welcome! Nothing wrong with built quality, Kalasnyikov built works fine everywhere take from Ebay but be sure buy SLR lens it has rangefinder version too.

So why does some say that are looking for a good one? Are some better than other Jupiter-9s?

PostPosted: Tue Sep 08, 2009 4:05 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Yes, the older models are better in optical quality. The old silver SLR M39 version is likely the best, I have never noticed anybody, who had a lemon. On the other hand, I have noticed anybody, who would confirm, that at least one copy of the last model is at least as sharp as the earliest model.

I know 5 versions of SLR Jupiter-9:

1. silver KMZ (M39)
2. silver LZOS (M39)
3. black, bumpy focusing ring (M42)
4. black, notched focusing ring (M42)
5. black, notched focusing ring, MC (M42)

With a bit of oversimplification I'd say, that the newer, the contrastier, while the older, the sharper.

PostPosted: Tue Sep 08, 2009 4:26 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

no-X wrote:

1. silver KMZ (M39)
2. silver LZOS (M39)

With a bit of oversimplification I'd say, that the newer, the contrastier, while the older, the sharper.

Cool, mine is a type 3 so I should be good.

PostPosted: Wed Sep 09, 2009 5:21 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

no-X wrote:
Yes, the older models are better in optical quality. The old silver SLR M39 version is likely the best, I have never noticed anybody, who had a lemon. On the other hand, I have noticed anybody, who would confirm, that at least one copy of the last model is at least as sharp as the earliest model.

1. silver KMZ (M39)
2. silver LZOS (M39)

Are there serial numbers and dates that match the types so one would have a good ideal what they are getting? Thanks.

PostPosted: Wed Sep 09, 2009 10:51 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

All of them good I beleive.

http://www.mflenses.com/gallery/v/russian_lens/jupiter/jupiter-9_85mm_f2_m39_silver/
http://www.mflenses.com/gallery/v/russian_lens/jupiter/jupiter_9_85/
RF not SLR!
http://www.mflenses.com/gallery/v/russian_lens/jupiter/jupiter_9_8_5cm_contax/