Home

Please support mflenses.com if you need any graphic related work order it from us, click on above banner to order!

SearchSearch MemberlistMemberlist RegisterRegister ProfileProfile Log in to check your private messagesLog in to check your private messages Log inLog in

Recommend me a basic film Camera
View previous topic :: View next topic  

PostPosted: Thu Sep 03, 2009 5:34 am    Post subject: Recommend me a basic film Camera Reply with quote

I just want a very basic film camera. I have several m42 and Nikon mount MF lenses. So would Canon be the best one to go with considering I use Canon digital now? Just want something really cheap and with metering but that is all. I will probably shoot 5 rolls a year at most so I don't want to put much into it. I just want to see how my MF lenses look on "full frame"! Smile

Thanks.

PostPosted: Thu Sep 03, 2009 5:49 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

For M42, get a Spotmatic. It's like an orgasm every time you wind the film up.

PostPosted: Thu Sep 03, 2009 6:23 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

The Praktica PLC2 or PLC3 is a more recent option. Cupog's got on up on ebay now.

PostPosted: Thu Sep 03, 2009 8:43 am    Post subject: Re: Recommend me a basic film Camera Reply with quote

tkbslc wrote:
I just want a very basic film camera. I have several m42 and Nikon mount MF lenses. So would Canon be the best one to go with considering I use Canon digital now? Just want something really cheap and with metering but that is all. I will probably shoot 5 rolls a year at most so I don't want to put much into it. I just want to see how my MF lenses look on "full frame"! Smile

Thanks.

Don't forget film P&S cameras (not zoom ones)...I have a very small collection bought for £1-£1.50 at boot sales and the lenses are very good and the more modern (around about 1980 onwards) ones are AF.

PostPosted: Thu Sep 03, 2009 9:23 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

If you want to use your Nikon lenses, none of the suggestions so far will work. And you need an optical adapter to mount M42 lenses on a Nikon cam. So I think a Canon EOS camera is the best choice. I believe it's possible to mount Nikon lenses on a Pentax K mount cam but not locked in place, and you can certainly mount M42 lenses easily, so maybe that's an alternative.

PostPosted: Thu Sep 03, 2009 9:40 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

peterqd wrote:
And you need an optical adapter to mount M42 lenses on a Nikon cam.

[...] IF you want to be able to focus at the infinity. For close-up work you'll be safe with a plain metal much cheaper adapter.

PostPosted: Thu Sep 03, 2009 12:24 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

I agree with Peter, the matter can't be explained well. On the Canon side you will have a camera that at some degree you already know and that is a great advantage by itself, on the Pentax one you'll have as well a robust and reliable instrument to work with even if working with a non properly locked lens (Nikon) could be of some concern. I'm not able to give further advice in choosing one model over another since I do not know in detail nor the Eos neither the Pentax body line-up.
Talking about the monetary aspect I think nowadays you can find a good deal even on a mid-range film Eos body.
Regards, Marty.

PostPosted: Thu Sep 03, 2009 5:13 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Since you already own a Canon digital now, I think your best bet will be to get an EOS film camera. You can buy adapters for both M42 and Nikon F that will allow you to use these lenses on an EOS SLR, and the lenses retain infinity focus.

One thing to be aware of, which I just found out about recently -- thanks to this forum -- is that some EOS cameras have issues with non-EOS lenses. Jmiro explains the situation in this thread:

http://forum.mflenses.com/help-eos-film-cams-and-non-canon-manual-lenses-t19743.html

So, if you go the EOS route, you should keep in mind the caveats that jmiro spells out.

Michael

PostPosted: Thu Sep 03, 2009 5:16 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

For 5 rolls a year.
Take a PentaxK1000.
You can use all your current lenses and Pentax K as well.
It's manual metering that works regardless of the adapter chip (it has a real focus screen you know).
Your Nikkor will mount but of course not be secure. Should not be a prob;em with infrequent use.
Under $50 for a nice one. Under $25 for a beat user.

PostPosted: Thu Sep 03, 2009 5:24 pm    Post subject: Re: Recommend me a basic film Camera Reply with quote

Excalibur wrote:
tkbslc wrote:

Thanks.

Don't forget film P&S cameras (not zoom ones)...I have a very small collection bought for £1-£1.50 at boot sales and the lenses are very good and the more modern (around about 1980 onwards) ones are AF.

I fully agree. They can be very good.

PostPosted: Thu Sep 03, 2009 6:02 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Following the link, it appears that forum member had good luck with an old Rebel XS film camera. Since those are going for under $30 on ebay, perhaps that would be a good starting point.

The K1000 is an interesting suggestion, because I brings recollection that my mother likely has a K1000 with a SMC 50 f2 and a sears 135/3.5 sitting in the back of her closet. I might ask if she would let her favorite son borrow it as she now uses a terrible polaroid digital compact exclusively.

PostPosted: Thu Sep 03, 2009 6:17 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

cooltouch wrote:
One thing to be aware of, which I just found out about recently -- thanks to this forum -- is that some EOS cameras have issues with non-EOS lenses. Jmiro explains the situation in this thread:

http://forum.mflenses.com/help-eos-film-cams-and-non-canon-manual-lenses-t19743.html

So, if you go the EOS route, you should keep in mind the caveats that jmiro spells out.

Michael

Michael, I didn't see the linked thread originally. I've read that it's possible to get around the problem easily by applying a small piece of electrical insulating tape to the rear of the adapter so that the camera contacts don't make an electrical connection with it. I haven't tried it myself.

PostPosted: Thu Sep 03, 2009 11:21 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

If you want to use your Nikons I would suggest a Nikon camera.

60.00 USD, a GREAT little camera!

PostPosted: Fri Sep 04, 2009 12:08 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

I second spiralcity's suggestion. Since you have "several" Nikon mount MF lenses, and are looking for an inexpensive body, the Nikon FG would be a very good choice...Or if you want to step-up alittle, a Nikon FM (FM2) or FE (FE2) would also be good choices, and can be had pretty cheaply.

PostPosted: Fri Sep 04, 2009 6:28 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

A M42 body can be found dirt cheap on ebay, the Nikon FG for about 60.00 USD. So both types can be found for about 80.00 to 90.00 USD or so.

That is'nt that much for two cameras that will handle all your lens needs.