Home

Please support mflenses.com if you need any graphic related work order it from us, click on above banner to order!

SearchSearch MemberlistMemberlist RegisterRegister ProfileProfile Log in to check your private messagesLog in to check your private messages Log inLog in

Nice "standard" lens on APS-C?
View previous topic :: View next topic  

PostPosted: Tue Aug 18, 2009 8:57 pm    Post subject: Nice "standard" lens on APS-C? Reply with quote

Hello again.
I'm looking for a "normal" lens for my k100d (1.5x crop) so something around 35mm should be fine. Now I'm using the Pentax 40mm (new version, AF) and although I like that lens very much, sometimes I find one stop faster would be useful. What are my options? I started looking for something like the SMC-M 35mm f2, but it looks very scarce, and when one appear, prices are very high. On m42 it appears to be more options, like takumar 35mm f2, or mir-24. But I don't now much about their quality, or prices (and i'd need to buy the m43>K adapter).
Also, I can use Nikon pre-ai lenses directly on my Pentax (well, kind of), so another options are the Nikkor-O 35mm f2, or the Vivitar 35mm f1.9 (Also in m42 mount). How do all these lenses compare? Another options on this focal length?
My first idea was to have a small setup of primes 24, 35 and 50, for travelling light. But the truth is, I'm not so sure anymore. So I'll ask you another thing:
Do you think it's a good idea to change the 24 and the 35 for a 28mm f2? (A Kiron maybe?). On one side, I find the idea of using only two primes very interesting (One on the camera, the other in a pocket), but I really enjoy the 24mm focal length on APS-C and I don't now if those 4mm less in the wide angle, could be irreplaceable for some situations...
What do you think guys? Lots of cuestions, I now, but I'm really confused on this. Any help could be very useful
Thanks

PostPosted: Tue Aug 18, 2009 8:59 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Dco,

I strongly suggest you to get a Flektogon 35mm f/2.8 or better F/2.4. These are outstanding lenses.

Regarding the 28m mm versus 24/35, I personally don't like too much the 28mm focal length and always carry a Tamron 24mm and the Flektogon 35mm 2.8 that is enough for me.

Regards,

Jes.

PostPosted: Tue Aug 18, 2009 9:10 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

A 28mm f2 is an attractive thought - especially one in PK-A mount. But before you invest, do your best to try it on the camera and check your ability to focus with it. I have a K100D and find it VERY hard to judge correct focus with shoter focal lengths. The focus indicator simply cannot be relied on to identify the point of primary focus on the K100D - or the K10D which I now have as well.

I have to say that my old eyes aren't as sharp as they were, but I have much younger friends who can't reliably get the focus right either. Maybe the solution is to install a rangefinder screen, but there seems to be problems sometimes getting replacement screens registered correctly.

PostPosted: Tue Aug 18, 2009 9:44 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Thanks, Jesito, At first I had considered the flektogon (heard really good things about it) but I really need something faster, and at f2.8 (or even 2.4) it would be too close to my 40mm f2.8, which I really love and want to keep.
scsambrook, thanks, I should have told it before, but I already have a split image screen on my k100d, so focusing is a bit less of a problem. I agree with you that focus confirmation is not very reliable, but I don't have much problems focusing with my 24mm (it's f2.8 only though) or my 50mm or 85mm (but these are considerably longer)

PostPosted: Tue Aug 18, 2009 10:13 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

My opinion would be to get the 35/2 and stick to the 24mm if you really like it.

I have the M35/2 and M28/2.8 and I think that the 35 would see more use if I didn't use my Sigma 30/1.4 all the time Smile. M35/2 is has a bit soft and hazy look wide open, sharpness is there, but with some ghosting. The bokeh can be a bit distracting wide open, but it's a lot better by F2.8 and the lens sharpens up really much.

Couple test shot with istDS and M35/2 wide open and @F2.8. (ACR defaults no sharpening)

Last edited by soikka on Wed Aug 19, 2009 6:39 am; edited 2 times in total

PostPosted: Tue Aug 18, 2009 11:50 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Naturally, I'd go with a 35mm in Pentax K mount. SMC Pentax M 35/2.8 or 35/2 is a good one. I am not sure whether there is an 'A' version though.

PostPosted: Wed Aug 19, 2009 3:06 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

Just buy a cheap lens to try, and then invest in the focal length you like.

Last edited by Mist on Fri Aug 21, 2009 2:27 am; edited 1 time in total

PostPosted: Wed Aug 19, 2009 3:18 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

I have a K100D and I find my favorite "normal" lenses these days are either the SMC Pentax 24/2.8 or the Vivitar/Kiron 28/2 (M42), since I fixed the aperture on that.

These are the ones that usually stick on the camera by default.

PostPosted: Wed Aug 19, 2009 2:56 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

I will commit gross sacrilige here and add the AF Sigma 30/1.4 as a "normal" possibility for APS-C.

PostPosted: Wed Aug 19, 2009 3:42 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

meanwhile in Pentax land...

the recently discontinued FA 35/2 is considered to be a good lens.

and there's the expensive FA Limited 31/1.8 as well..

PostPosted: Wed Aug 19, 2009 3:51 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Ensinor 24mm - If you can find one!

Or a Meyer Lydith 30mm.

PostPosted: Wed Aug 19, 2009 5:37 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Thanks everyone for the answers.
soikka, thanks a lot for the sample pictures
siriusdogstar, orly_andico, I already had considered the Sigma and the FA 35mm, but at large apertures I prefer focusing by myself, cause I don't find the AF to be precise enough, so a MF lens should be better because of the longer focusing throw. The 31mm Limited seems to be a great idea, better suited for manual focus, but price it's out of reach.

PostPosted: Wed Aug 19, 2009 6:27 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Takumar 35/2, Vivitar 35/1.9, Vivitar 28/2?

PostPosted: Wed Aug 19, 2009 6:28 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Another alternative would be a Vivitar 2/28 ... very nice!

PostPosted: Sun Sep 06, 2009 2:13 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Hello again
I'm still considering this, I've not decided yet, but I'm leaning towards the 28mm focal length. One more question:
Does anybody know the Cosinon-w 28mm f2?
I can't find anything about it on the net
Thanks

PostPosted: Sun Sep 06, 2009 10:07 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

I really like 24mm as a standard lens (in this case a 24mm Ensinor). Maybe a bit wide for a normal lens (makes 38mm on a Canon APS-C cam), but great for everyday use.

Two 24mm shots:

PostPosted: Sun Sep 06, 2009 10:24 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Dco wrote:
Hello again
I'm still considering this, I've not decided yet, but I'm leaning towards the 28mm focal length. One more question:
Does anybody know the Cosinon-w 28mm f2?
I can't find anything about it on the net
Thanks

If you not find any info that rather means crap than good one. People take it , try it and sell it because crap. Cosinon lenses are rare good.

PostPosted: Mon Sep 07, 2009 6:07 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

eeyore_nl wrote:
I really like 24mm as a standard lens (in this case a 24mm Ensinor). Maybe a bit wide for a normal lens (makes 38mm on a Canon APS-C cam), but great for everyday use.

Two 24mm shots:

That bokeh is very nice. Is that the Ensinor? I've been really impressed with mine but I've only really used it stopped down for landscape work.

PostPosted: Mon Sep 07, 2009 6:41 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

martinsmith99 wrote:

That bokeh is very nice. Is that the Ensinor? I've been really impressed with mine but I've only really used it stopped down for landscape work.

Yes, it is. Quickly becoming one of my favourites, both for landscape and close-up pictures.

Btw, this is my favorite landscape lens (AF):

Last edited by eeyore_nl on Mon Sep 07, 2009 7:01 am; edited 1 time in total

PostPosted: Mon Sep 07, 2009 6:54 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

I like your samples too, looks a nice lens indeed a hidden gem!

PostPosted: Mon Sep 07, 2009 7:23 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

I was lucky to find mine. I read some good feedback on it and found one on ebay in mint condition. I've not see one since.

PostPosted: Mon Sep 07, 2009 9:02 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Thanks Attila, that was what I thought, I'll have to keep searching, then
Very smooth bokeh in that first sample eeyore_nl, nice colours too