Home

Please support mflenses.com if you need any graphic related work order it from us, click on above banner to order!

SearchSearch MemberlistMemberlist RegisterRegister ProfileProfile Log in to check your private messagesLog in to check your private messages Log inLog in

Automatic Shutter/Exposure times problem?
View previous topic :: View next topic  

PostPosted: Wed Aug 26, 2009 1:23 pm    Post subject: Automatic Shutter/Exposure times problem? Reply with quote

First of all, i'm new and this is my first post! Recently got infected with the beauty of ManualFocus lenses and I found some old ones within the family that I have been given!

Anyway ontopic! I have a Canon 450D and I got myself a M42 Adapter. Now i'm wondering if it's normal that the automatic exposure setting ( like 1/1000 ) does not work properly on MF lenses? Everytime I use a setting on the camera ( like P ) it gives me a shutter time which causes overexposure. So i'm basically forced to use the Tv ( Time Value ) setting in order to get the right lightning. However I can't imagine having to change this value for each and every photograph I am taking. What is the secret to this, if there is one?

PostPosted: Wed Aug 26, 2009 1:45 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Hello JWH.
Welcome onboard. Laughing

You have to set your 450D on Av, or M.
If your adapter ring is with AF confirm chip, the chip is programmed on a certain diaph value. Mine is set on 2.
So, when I close my diaph I have to compensate exposure : 1 stop closed = -1/3 exposure.

On the 40D it is very easy to do, as the exposure compensation is on the rear wheel.
On the 450D, I think it's the same as on the 400D : you have to maintain the "+/-" button on the rear while turning the upper dialer.

PostPosted: Wed Aug 26, 2009 2:49 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Okay, I see. Well I don't have a confirmation chip ( yet, it's in the mail ). But I guess even without putting the Exposure Compensation a stop lower would give the same effect?

PostPosted: Wed Aug 26, 2009 4:34 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

JWH wrote:
Okay, I see. Well I don't have a confirmation chip ( yet, it's in the mail ). But I guess even without putting the Exposure Compensation a stop lower would give the same effect?

Without an AF confirm chip, the Dslr seems to better estimate the light.

PostPosted: Wed Aug 26, 2009 5:55 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

I just took the camera + lens out on another test run through the garden and -1/3th stop did the trick! Thanks a bunch!

PostPosted: Wed Aug 26, 2009 6:02 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Great.
I'm pleased that your problem is solved ! Very Happy

PostPosted: Wed Aug 26, 2009 8:00 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Nice to see you here!