Home

Please support mflenses.com if you need any graphic related work order it from us, click on above banner to order!

SearchSearch MemberlistMemberlist RegisterRegister ProfileProfile Log in to check your private messagesLog in to check your private messages Log inLog in

Help with identifying zoom lens
View previous topic :: View next topic  

PostPosted: Thu Aug 27, 2009 9:52 pm    Post subject: Help with identifying zoom lens Reply with quote

I bought a Nikon fm10 with the standard lens from someone at school for 40$ and for an addition $20 they through in this zoom lens. It has no manufacturer name on it or anything so I was hoping someone here could identify it from a picture.

Thanks

Edit can't get image tags to work

Last edited by jbblue1 on Thu Aug 27, 2009 9:57 pm; edited 3 times in total

PostPosted: Thu Aug 27, 2009 9:54 pm    Post subject: Re: Help with identifying zoom lens Reply with quote

jbblue1 wrote:
I bought a Nikon fm10 with the standard lens from someone at school for 40$ and for an addition $20 they through in this zoom lens. It has no manufacturer name on it or anything so I was hoping someone here could identify it from a picture.
http://forum.mflenses.com/userpix/20098/1830_IMG_0095_1.jpg
http://forum.mflenses.com/userpix/20098/1830_IMG_0090_1.jpg

Thanks

PostPosted: Thu Aug 27, 2009 9:57 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Welcome! I had similar average quality Korean lens.

PostPosted: Fri Aug 28, 2009 12:07 am    Post subject: Re: Help with identifying zoom lens Reply with quote

jbblue1 wrote:

Thanks

Edit can't get image tags to work

Quote to show pictures.

PostPosted: Fri Aug 28, 2009 12:26 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

Bill (casualcollector) may chime in and suggest Cimko as the maker because of the trademark diamond mark.

Granted, it probably works quite well and you should be able to take good pictures with it.

But Attila is right,

Whether Korean or Cimko, its probably a negligible value. You can get the same or better for next to nothing. This is the sort of lens that turns up in batches all the time, where you end up paying $3-5 apiece.

If you want to buy a lens of this sort, I suggest you look for a Tamron 103A, they can be found quite easily for $20.

PostPosted: Fri Aug 28, 2009 4:43 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

Yeah, the sad (or happy) thing about manual focus optics is that most of them have little value anymore. Happy if you're a buyer.

I'd do as Luis suggests and take some pictures with it. Decide for yourself. If it's a turkey, hey, you're only out $20, and any number of good lenses can be had on eBay for a similar amount.

Case in point: one of my favorite zooms back in the 80s was the Tamron 60-300 f/3.8-5.4. At the time the lens sold discount for around $300, so it wasn't a cheap optic. But now, if you're dilligent, you can find deals on them for a small fraction of their new prices. I sold my original 60-300 about 15 years ago, and kind of always regretted doing so. Recently, I ran across a clean one at a local camera store. They wanted $40 for it, so I scooped it up. Then just last week, I was browsing through the listings on eBay, and ran across another one. This one had the hood and came with an Adaptall II mount I didn't have, but could use. The bid amount was ridiculously low, and there were only a couple of hours left on the auction, so I just kinda went, what the hey, and entered a low bid. Turns out I won the auction -- for $25! The lens arrived yesterday, complete with case, hood, and Adaptall II mount. Nice shape, works perfectly.

My story is by no means unique. There are good deals out there on good quality optics -- if you decide you don't like the one you have. But by all means, shoot with it first. You might be pleasantly surprised. I remember the first tele zoom I ever bought -- it was an Albinar 80-200 f/3.9 -- made in Korea. I didn't know beans about optics, and figured a zoom was a zoom. Cool It rendered excellent photos, however, something that I wasn't able to appreciate until years later -- after I'd sold it. In fact, that old Albinar was such a nice zoom that I recently picked up another one on the 'bay for a song. Compared it with a Nikkor 80-200 f/4.5, and it was at least as sharp as the Nikon glass. So, just because it's a Korean lens, it doesn't mean it isn't a good optic.

Best,
Michael