Home

Please support mflenses.com if you need any graphic related work order it from us, click on above banner to order!

SearchSearch MemberlistMemberlist RegisterRegister ProfileProfile Log in to check your private messagesLog in to check your private messages Log inLog in

Opening tool for M42 adapters
View previous topic :: View next topic  

PostPosted: Thu Nov 29, 2012 9:21 pm    Post subject: Opening tool for M42 adapters Reply with quote

I have a pentax M42 adapter on a Takumar, but it got stuck really hard.
I saw some 3rd party M42 adapters on ebay that have an opening tool/key.
Can anyone recommend a good one?

thanks.

PostPosted: Thu Nov 29, 2012 10:05 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Hoan, have you tried unscrewing the lens while the adapter is fitted in the camera? Always works for me.

PostPosted: Thu Nov 29, 2012 10:34 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Thanks. I have a film body faulty for this

PostPosted: Thu Nov 29, 2012 11:12 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Usually the rear lens cap of my minolta AF lenses does the job, but I don't know how pentax adapters are.

PostPosted: Fri Nov 30, 2012 2:42 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

The tools with the cheap ones on eBay are for removing the adapter from the body. I remove the clip from mine so they don't stay in the camera. I use a lens cap as a wrench to remove them from lenses.

PostPosted: Fri Nov 30, 2012 6:30 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

It's still too hard. I might dstroy the lens with force.

PostPosted: Fri Nov 30, 2012 6:50 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

Keeping lens cool, warm only the adapter (so it expands) might help to free it...

A drop or two (only a drop or two) of penetrating or wintergreen oil on threads might help too.

Try leather work gloves to get strong (padded) grip?

PostPosted: Fri Nov 30, 2012 7:52 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

The previous owner had a super glue drop in it.
I try now to loosen the glue strength with pure acetone.

Anyone experience acetone use? like how long can i expect before the glue might take to break down?

That's a good idea to heat up the adapter. I will try to combine acetone treatment and solder iron.

PostPosted: Tue Dec 11, 2012 10:06 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

no acetone!! can harm acrylics in the lens and lens 'glue'

PostPosted: Wed Dec 12, 2012 12:13 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

I think you can buy a special Superglue solvent ?

I had a completely wrecked ME Super which I dismantled, basically to see how it worked. But I kept the front plate and lens mount completer and I have used that to force off a stuck M42 adapter from a lens. The lens is likely to be strong enough to take considerable force, and it doesn't matter if the camera front plate gets forced as I keep it for this kind of thing. But, I didn't do any damage to either of them when I forced the adapter off the lens and I had the camera front plate clamped in a vice and both hands on the lens - a Vivitar 28 if I remember rightly.

It's a useful bit of kit. I alsu use it as a drill jig to make a small hole for the Pentax locking pin.

( That picture is posed, I do take great care to keep bits of swarf out of the lens )

PostPosted: Wed Dec 12, 2012 2:34 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Update:
I gave up with acetone treatment. Tried 1/2 drop on the mount, repeat many times, but still not able to remove.
The lens+adapter is mounted on a defect pentax body, that had been ripped off for most parts, as opening tool to give a better grip.

I still hope that aceton treatment can slowly release the glue, but that too is risky if I spill on the glass.
It's still working fine when using with a pentax body, so I let it as-is.

---

That DRILL looks overkill for the task Laughing
May be I should try Very Happy

PostPosted: Wed Dec 12, 2012 9:47 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Is S-M-C or SMC Takumar with second tiny pin (separate from diaphragm pin) on mount? Adapter jammed by tiny pin?

(I sent your adapter Smile)

PostPosted: Wed Dec 12, 2012 9:53 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Thanks a lot for the adapter Very Happy

No it's not the second pin that cause problem.

It's a pentax M42 adapter that had been glued into a m42 lens.
I drilled away the metal piece that lock the lens in place and it won't stuck in a pentax body.
All the effort is to undo the glue and turn the lens back in m42 state.