Home

Please support mflenses.com if you need any graphic related work order it from us, click on above banner to order!

SearchSearch MemberlistMemberlist RegisterRegister ProfileProfile Log in to check your private messagesLog in to check your private messages Log inLog in

CHINON Auto 50mm 1.7, cheap lens. Cheap results?
View previous topic :: View next topic  

PostPosted: Fri Aug 21, 2009 8:33 pm    Post subject: CHINON Auto 50mm 1.7, cheap lens. Cheap results? Reply with quote

The lens set in the Pentax *istDS. Not useable (other wide open) in Av mode, in M mode works fine measuring prior to each shot by pressing the AEL button.

I did a detail test

Crop at 100%

Bokeh test, to me is nice. Colour not bad.

f8:

I have to test it further. Maybe is not a bright gem, but among the cheap ones gives a nice performance.

Regards.

Jes.

PostPosted: Fri Aug 21, 2009 8:39 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Chinon is well known from good equipments including lenses, personally I never seen any bad or below average Chinon lenses any of them worth to take it. One thing moe I never seen any bad or.. 50mm lenses.

PostPosted: Fri Aug 21, 2009 9:00 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Mine was a non-MC version. It flared terribly, and produced dull colors in anything but evenly lit environment. Sharpness was so-so in the center, but very soft in the corners (and that was on a crop camera). It was quite like Helios-44-2, only without its merits. I sold it for 100% profit for $10 Smile

Try Super or S-M-C Takumar 55/2 or 55/1.8, and you won't be disappointed. That is a great fifty! Or SMC Pentax-M 50/2, it's cheap and very, very good (I bought mine for $25).

PostPosted: Fri Aug 21, 2009 9:14 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Attila wrote:
One thing moe I never seen any bad or.. 50mm lenses.

Maybe I've to send you a couple of Exakta Domiplans Wink

Regards,

Jes.

PostPosted: Fri Aug 21, 2009 9:19 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Jesito wrote:
Attila wrote:
One thing moe I never seen any bad or.. 50mm lenses.

Maybe I've to send you a couple of Exakta Domiplans Wink

Regards,

Jes.

Hahaha I was lucky my copy wasn't bad.

PostPosted: Fri Aug 21, 2009 9:35 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

aoleg wrote:
Mine was a non-MC version. It flared terribly, and produced dull colors in anything but evenly lit environment. Sharpness was so-so in the center, but very soft in the corners (and that was on a crop camera). It was quite like Helios-44-2, only without its merits. I sold it for 100% profit for $10 Smile

Couldn't it be a bad or unprofessionally repaired copy? I had Chinon 55/1.7 M42 and it was good lens, esp. for the price. Similar to Helios lenses stopped down, but sharper around f/2.

PostPosted: Sat Aug 22, 2009 1:22 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

As a rule, there are few, if any bad 50/55mm lenses for 35mm SLRs. There are a few superior lenses, but unless they've been damaged or slipped through Q.C., no bad ones.

PostPosted: Sat Aug 22, 2009 10:19 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

aoleg wrote:
......Try Super or S-M-C Takumar 55/2 or 55/1.8, and you won't be disappointed. That is a great fifty! Or SMC Pentax-M 50/2, it's cheap and very, very good (I bought mine for $25).

I noted that you not named the SMC 1,8/55. Are there a special reason to that? Not so good as the ST ot the S-M-C ?

This isn't the first time that I hear : the S-M-C is the better.

The same I heard about the 1,4/50 :the S-M-C is the best of the three, and I bought it. Really a dream lens. I should say that it reminds me the IQ of the summilux M 1,4/50 of 1966.

Regards, Rino.

PostPosted: Sun Aug 23, 2009 12:20 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

estudleon wrote:
I noted that you not named the SMC 1,8/55. Are there a special reason to that? Not so good as the ST ot the S-M-C ?

Not really, it's just that the SMC version is usually rare and more expensive. However, the all-metal S-M-C 55/1.8 is most definitely built better. Performance-wise, it's on par with the SMC. With a proper hood (I'm using a long tele hood on it), Super-Takumar 55/2 is very nice, and can be had for $10-15!

PostPosted: Sun Aug 23, 2009 4:05 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Thanks Aoleg.

Rino.

PostPosted: Sun Aug 23, 2009 4:59 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

I had both the SMC and S-M-C. I sold the SMC as it wasn't quite as sharp and I didn't care for the rubber focus ring.