Home

Please support mflenses.com if you need any graphic related work order it from us, click on above banner to order!

SearchSearch MemberlistMemberlist RegisterRegister ProfileProfile Log in to check your private messagesLog in to check your private messages Log inLog in

Focus problem with Volna-3 on D700
View previous topic :: View next topic  

PostPosted: Tue Sep 01, 2009 9:05 am    Post subject: Focus problem with Volna-3 on D700 Reply with quote

Hi everyone,

I have a problem with a Volna-3 (80mm/f2.Cool I bought on eBay.
I use it with a tilt/shift adapter ring (looks like an arax). I can't focus further than about 5 meters. Up to ~5 meters it's fine, I can focus normally. But further, no way, everything remains blurry.

I see there's a button on the lens but I don't know what it's for, it looks like it has no effect.

Does someone has an idea?

Thanks in advance!

Rafe

PostPosted: Tue Sep 01, 2009 10:06 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

When the lens is mounted on a P6 camera the aperture pin on the back is normally depressed and the aperture is wide open. When the pin is released, immediately prior to shutter opening, the aperture stops down to the value to the value set on the ring. Pressing the button closes the aperture so that you can take a view of the subject - with the lens stopped down. It's sometimes called a Deptth-of-Field (DOF) lever. Nikon-P6 (and other) adapters do not depress the pin on the rear of the lens - so the aperture is already at its "stopped down" position and the DOF button has no efect.

As to you first point - have you tried the lens with a normal Nikon-P6 adapter ? Can you focus to infinity ? If so your TS adapter may be the problem. However I have no experience of TS adapters. Perhaps someone else can help.

Welcome to the forum.

PostPosted: Tue Sep 01, 2009 11:25 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

Hi John,

Thank you for your fast answer. Actually I have no other adapter. This is my first "vintage" manual focus lens. I've bought it with the TS ring, because it's much cheaper than "genuine" nikon TS lenses.
So the switch has no link with the focus - thank you for your answer.

Regards

Rafe

PostPosted: Tue Sep 01, 2009 1:24 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Sounds like a loose element, or inverted element in there somewhere. Do you hear any rattling when you shake the lens? Or maybe it's an incorrectly attached focusing helicoid. Happens a lot with old lenses that have been CLAd. The Volna-3, as I remember it, is pretty easy to take apart, so why not take a look? It's a very simple, traditional planar design, so the lenses should be, from front to back, ordered like so:

((( )))

If you find that one of the lenses (if any, I'd guess it's the second to last one) is inverted, like so:

((( )()

Then that could cause focusing problems.

PostPosted: Tue Sep 01, 2009 1:53 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

rafe wrote:
I've bought it with the TS ring..

Do you have a picture ? Or some reference to it ?

PostPosted: Tue Sep 01, 2009 2:13 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

rawhead > I don't have the lens with me right now but I remember I heard a small noise when I took it in my hand, yes. I'll have to check this.

sichko > It's the same as this one but for Nikon: http://cgi.ebay.com/Tilt-Adapter-Pentacon-Six-Lenses-to-Canon-EOS-Camera_W0QQitemZ350242933701QQcmdZViewItemQQptZLens_Accessories?hash=item518c1b0bc5&_trksid=p3286.c0.m14

Thank you for your replies!

PostPosted: Tue Sep 01, 2009 2:20 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

I've found the one I bought: http://cgi.ebay.ch/ws/eBayISAPI.dll?ViewItem&item=200316153929&ssPageName=ADME:B:EOIBSA:CH:1123

I could read "Will focus to infinty". Does this mean sometimes they don't?