Home

Please support mflenses.com if you need any graphic related work order it from us, click on above banner to order!

SearchSearch MemberlistMemberlist RegisterRegister ProfileProfile Log in to check your private messagesLog in to check your private messages Log inLog in

Nikon F, F2AS, F3AS
View previous topic :: View next topic  

PostPosted: Fri Aug 07, 2009 7:58 pm    Post subject: Nikon F, F2AS, F3AS Reply with quote

I've always wanted a Nikon F series camera, strictly for sentimental value and extraordinary workmanship.

I am torn between the various F series, but sure like the F2AS.

Do any of you have a Nikon F series camera, and could make some recommendations?

PostPosted: Fri Aug 07, 2009 8:09 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

NIKON FA ... FA is my signature abbrev LOL

PostPosted: Fri Aug 07, 2009 8:43 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

BEAUTIFUL bookend! Very Happy

PostPosted: Sat Aug 08, 2009 1:50 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

If you like truly mechanical one, pick F2 with normal finder

If you do not mind some electronics, pick F6 (superb finder)

That's my recommendation. Very Happy

PostPosted: Sat Aug 08, 2009 2:13 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

You guys and your pretty little cameras, meet "Riff" who spent his first years
of life doing duty in "Nam with an army photojournalist:

Love this cam and am sending it off this fall to get completely pimped.

PostPosted: Sat Aug 08, 2009 5:14 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

I will suggest the F4s, eventho I don't think that's what you are looking for...But, I still LOVE mine.

It's hard to beat the F2 with the "A" meterhead...That match-needle metering is pretty quick and easy to use. The original F model is nice, but can be a hassle to reload with film if in a hurry, (and without 3 hands).

Actually, the F4s is high on my list, Glockman! I love the style, and I have never had a camera with AF capabilities.

PostPosted: Wed Aug 12, 2009 7:02 pm    Post subject: Re: Nikon F, F2AS, F3AS Reply with quote

Laurence wrote:
I've always wanted a Nikon F series camera, strictly for sentimental value and extraordinary workmanship.

I am torn between the various F series, but sure like the F2AS.

Do any of you have a Nikon F series camera, and could make some recommendations?

I have used F and F2 models. Both are excellent and very well built. The
F2A and F2AS are pricey due to collector interest. If you're mostly
interested in shooting rather than collecting, you might prefer staying with
pre-F2A models due to lower prices. The difference is in the finders and
the fact that F2A/AS models are AI compatible while earlier versions are
not.

If you don't need the removable prism of the F2 models you might like
the EL/ELW/EL2 models.

This is my EL:

It's one of the few Nikon models that provides Auto-exposure with both
AI and non-AI lenses (as well as manual mode). Any lens with the
meter coupling prong works equally well. These cameras are also
built like tanks and have mirror lockup, DOF preview and good meters.

PostPosted: Thu Aug 13, 2009 8:58 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

Seymore wrote:
Hard to beat an old F w/FTN metering head...

It's like owning a Sherman tank. And with the F you use the cheap non-AI versions of the lenses.

The trouble with the "photonic" metering head is that it is impossible to get the mercury batteries it takes and there seem to be problems with all the alternatives on offer (variable voltages or short battery life).

Now, if somebody could produce a decent replacement cell ....

PostPosted: Thu Aug 13, 2009 9:55 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

PaulC wrote:
Seymore wrote:
Hard to beat an old F w/FTN metering head...

The trouble with the "photonic" metering head is that it is impossible to get the mercury batteries it takes and there seem to be problems with all the alternatives on offer (variable voltages or short battery life).

Now, if somebody could produce a decent replacement cell ....

PaulC - try
http://www.smallbattery.company.org.uk/

I think they will have the answer to your problem.

PostPosted: Sun Aug 23, 2009 5:54 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

I have owned Fs, F2s, and F3s, and they all have their good points.

If you're thinking about picking up an F and want to use a metered finder, get one with the FTN finder. It works much better than all the others. Otherwise, go with one with the plain prism finder.

If you're thinking about an F2, things get more complicated when it comes to the finders. There's more than just price to consider:

First, if you're not worried about an onboard meter, then just look for an F2 with the DE-1 (eye level) finder. No worries regarding the meter. Strangely, however, sometimes I find these cameras going for a premium over those that have metered finders. Oh well. BTW, I own an F2 identical to the one that Koji shows above.

The DP-1 finder, which came on the "F2 Photomic" was Nikon's standard metered finder for the F2, and is the most common. Make sure it works and that the needle doesn't jump when you rotate the aperture ring or the shutter speed dial. The jumpiness can be a sign of the meter's resistor beginning to fail.

The DP-2 finder, which came with the F2S, was a bizarre thing. Big and looking more like a house's roofline. It was the first of the F2 finders that had a slow speed dial for metering down to 10 seconds.

The DP-3 finder, which made the camera an F2SB, was a much-needed update to the DP-2. It kept the slow-metering capability but improved the viewfinder meter readout, and it got rid of the odd hump on top of the finder the DP-2 had.

The DP-11 and DP-12 finders are the AI versions of the DP-1 and DP-3, respectively. They turn the F2 into an F2A (DP-11) or F2AS (DP-12). These two finders go for a premium for two reasons: 1) they use the AI meter coupling, 2) they are newer, thus theoretically are more reliable.

I've also owned a couple of F3s. I like the ergonomics of the F3, and I also came to appreciate the 80/20 metering pattern that it uses. (Most other Nikons use a 60/40 pattern) The tight pattern was very useful when shooting with narrow lattitude slide film. Coupled with the MD-4 motor drive, it was considerably lighter than an F2 with MD-2/MB-1 attached.

Of the three, I still prefer the F2. It is more comfortable in my hands than the F, and just feels solid. I prefer mechanical cameras over battery dependent ones, so it gets the nod over the F3 -- or any later F-series as far as that goes.

Best,
Michael