Home

Please support mflenses.com if you need any graphic related work order it from us, click on above banner to order!

SearchSearch MemberlistMemberlist RegisterRegister ProfileProfile Log in to check your private messagesLog in to check your private messages Log inLog in

Kodak Angenieux 3.5/100
View previous topic :: View next topic  

PostPosted: Fri Apr 27, 2018 12:07 am    Post subject: Kodak Angenieux 3.5/100 Reply with quote

This is my contribution to a study of Angenieux lenses. A projector Kodak Anastigmat Angenieux 3.5/100 from the late 1950s - mid 1960s. That must be a triplet which is put in a neat alu tube, every lens is coated. With APS-C it gives a classic 135mm tele.

All images are shot wide open (the lens has no iris) and benefit from auto-contrast or colour/contrast tweaks.

#2 The lens performs very well at close to mid range

#3 It keeps pretty much of detail and gives a pleasant bokeh

#4 Front OOF is rather pleasant too

#5 At 5 meters and more the lens gives a rather tender touch not overloaded with details. Precise focusing might be a bit tricky

#6 At a larger distance you lose some sharpness although pop-up is there. Softer edges (police women boots) is typical for the triplet optic design

#7 Even if at infinity the joy for pixel peeping would be limited, a general 3D effect is on

#8 Lights and reflexions are well rendered in low light

#9 And artificial city sparcles do not result in parasite reflexions

My first experiences give an idea of a lens well fit to portrait use. It may also be used as an all-rounder if you do not strive for load of details at infinity. The lens is capable to render a pleasantly natural, eye perceptible frame and gives a nice global pop-up.

PostPosted: Fri Apr 27, 2018 1:17 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

Like 1

I have a copy of Angenieux projection too. Not in good condition, but good for something different.
http://forum.mflenses.com/my-first-projection-lens-on-nex-5n-t69623,highlight,%2Bprojection.html

PostPosted: Fri Apr 27, 2018 5:09 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

Like 1 Like 1 Like 1

Always wondered how this one would perform, had a copy, but had to send it back as it was very hazy...

PostPosted: Fri Apr 27, 2018 10:46 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

Glad you find the test interesting!

Calvin, your shots from the projection lens have brighter colours and a more watercolour bokeh. A very nice rendering. Is yours a cine projection one? Mine is for slide projection.

Klaus, the copy I used had a slight haze on the edge. I managed to dissolve it almost completely without opening the lens (what requires a special wrench). Just put some lighter petrol on the front. It quickly entered inside the barrel, and I was shaking the lens for a couple of minutes, thus "washing" its from inside.

PostPosted: Fri Apr 27, 2018 10:56 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

It should be made for 16mm film with petzval design.

PostPosted: Sun Dec 06, 2020 12:30 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

Here are some more shots from this lens, looking at its bokeh with a fresh eye. The lens renders it nicely, does not it?

PostPosted: Mon Dec 07, 2020 11:39 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Just for the record, here are some shots with the 100mm f2.8 version

PostPosted: Tue Dec 08, 2020 10:20 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Like 1

When the light changes, I'll try it with a more patchy background too.