Home

Please support mflenses.com if you need any graphic related work order it from us, click on above banner to order!

SearchSearch MemberlistMemberlist RegisterRegister ProfileProfile Log in to check your private messagesLog in to check your private messages Log inLog in

Leica... which are the one??
View previous topic :: View next topic  

PostPosted: Sat Aug 08, 2009 11:17 pm    Post subject: Leica... which are the one?? Reply with quote

Hello guys.

I'm looking for one Leica lens to know this mythical company.

I read more information about Leica, but I have a lot of questions... Embarassed

The first one is which lenses are the best.

Leica, Leica Canada or Leica Wetzlar??

I have seen the Leica (only with this nomenclature) a lot of times... 3 CAM, APO, etc... This lenses are always too expensive Very Happy

Leica Canada... I read that they have a bit inferior quality than the "normal" Leica lenses; However, I also read than in some models, the really good are the lenses manufactured in Canada...

And in the other side, I found the Leica Wetzlar.
I have seen that these are lenses manufactured in Germany ( I supose that just at the "normally" Leica) but these lenses are normally cheaper than the other Leica objectives... and hard to find.

As you can seen, I have a lot of doubts... Very Happy

Thank you and Regards

PostPosted: Sat Aug 08, 2009 11:38 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Buy Zeiss perhaps less mythical but all lens is superb I didn't find all Leica are superb.

PostPosted: Sun Aug 09, 2009 12:04 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

Thanks Attila.

I know that the Zeiss are amazing... for this reason I have this brand controlled Laughing Laughing

However, Leica bit me and i need buy one antidote

Regards

PostPosted: Sun Aug 09, 2009 12:14 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

Chiti wrote:
Thanks Attila.
I know that the Zeiss are amazing... for this reason I have this brand controlled Laughing Laughing
However, Leica bit me and i need buy one antidote
Regards

I bought twice both was disappointment, nothing special. Good one but not so much better than any Russian. I saw so much better quality only from Zeiss.

PostPosted: Sun Aug 09, 2009 4:41 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

this is very interesting...
Are there others who agree with Attila, or others that strongly disagree?

( I don't own any Leica lens but from input by Leica owners in forums have had the impression that they must be the very best..or is it really just the owners of expensive lenses justifying their expense? )

andreas

PostPosted: Sun Aug 09, 2009 5:17 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

kuuan wrote:

( I don't own any Leica lens but from input by Leica owners in forums have had the impression that they must be the very best..or is it really just the owners of expensive lenses justifying their expense? )

andreas

I am with Attila, the price/performance ratio on the Leica is low (they are really good but too expensive to my taste).

For instance, I got a zuiko OM 50mm 1.8 that is a superb lens and I paid only 9.90€ for it. A Summicron 50mm f2 is usually costing in between 1000 to 2000 USD or exceeeding this, but I don't think is 100 to 200 times better than my zuiko.

At least to me, I have much to improve as a photographer prior to needing to buy such an expensive lens.

And for that prices, I could buy better a second hand full frame camera that would mean a substantious improvement in the technical quality of my pictures...

Regards.

Jes.

PostPosted: Sun Aug 09, 2009 5:35 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

Hello, I just upgrade my collection to Leica. I had heard they are the best. The reason I am getting it is because I want try some high quality lenses for a try and also for its re-sell value. It is sad that locally, manual lenses not that ''hot'' or demand for those unknown brands, thus value of it is low. So far I use the Leica, it had not disappoint me. I guess it is the feel of some form of ''status'' using expensive branded lens. Embarassed

PostPosted: Sun Aug 09, 2009 10:54 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

Jesito wrote:

Quote:
A Summicron 50mm f2 is usually costing in between 1000 to 2000 USD or exceeeding this, but I don't think is 100 to 200 times better than my zuiko.

I just checked German Ebay for how much a normal 50mm Summicron went in the last weeks. They normally go between 200 and 400€, depending on model and condition.
I never had one, but a friend told me that this is a very good lense. He bought a Leitax-bayonet for Nikon and uses it on his D3x.
I use two of my old Leitz glasses with m D700 and am very pleased that this is possible. Now I'm waiting to get the 19mm Elmarit back, which only works with he D700 or D3, if the ring around the back-lense is filed down a little bit.
I know somebody in Berlin, who is very good and reliable, who will do this for me.
In case somebody in this group is interested in this kind of service, write me an e-mail, and I will put you in contact.

Thomas

PostPosted: Sun Aug 09, 2009 11:10 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

madamasu wrote:
Jesito wrote:

Quote:
A Summicron 50mm f2 is usually costing in between 1000 to 2000 USD or exceeeding this, but I don't think is 100 to 200 times better than my zuiko.

I just checked German Ebay for how much a normal 50mm Summicron went in the last weeks. They normally go between 200 and 400€, depending on model and condition.
I never had one, but a friend told me that this is a very good lense. He bought a Leitax-bayonet for Nikon and uses it on his D3x.
I use two of my old Leitz glasses with m D700 and am very pleased that this is possible. Now I'm waiting to get the 19mm Elmarit back, which only works with he D700 or D3, if the ring around the back-lense is filed down a little bit.
I know somebody in Berlin, who is very good and reliable, who will do this for me.
In case somebody in this group is interested in this kind of service, write me an e-mail, and I will put you in contact.

Thomas

The only one I can find rigth now is this one Click here to see on Ebay and it's 1.246,50 USD, but I've seen higher tags...

Regards,

Jes.

PostPosted: Sun Aug 09, 2009 11:36 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

Jesito wrote:

The only one I can find rigth now is this one Click here to see on Ebay and it's 1.246,50 USD, but I've seen higher tags...

Jes, even GoKevin sells them for less (not exactly well known for his low prices)

Click here to see on Ebay US $605.00
Click here to see on Ebay US $455.00

Here is one for Click here to see on Ebay.de 385,00 EUR

PostPosted: Sun Aug 09, 2009 11:40 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

Leica lens have nice smooth barrel and render beautiful colors
I tried Leica 70-180:2.8 APO and for me it was the best top optic from 135 to 180
Leica 60 is not to the level of the Zeiss 60 wide open and not so proof to CA but Trifox rate it good
anyway I want to buy the Leica 60 for it's size and smooth barrel but it is difficult to found for the 150 euros I am ready to give
I won a Leica 50 for 100 euros but seller never send it
I would like to have 1 or 2 Leica, not a whole collection too much for my pocket Rolling Eyes
Leica is the only brand I would like to get some extra lens

PostPosted: Sun Aug 09, 2009 12:43 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

kuuan wrote:

andreas

Shhh... Leica is the holy cow of photography. Anyone who questions it's superiority is due to receive a bashing of every Leicaphile on the planet.

I spent one year leisurely using Leica R and M-series, 2007-2008. I had full access to a retiring photographer's "possibly for sale" camera collection (he never sold any of it). Complete R-system with ~20 glasses plus an M-system with all but superwides. I found lots of marvellous glass, wonderful fingerprint in some classics and handling most cannot equal. Downside? Almost none worth the premium (sometimes ridiculous) price they go for.

They are almost without exception great glass with handling and mechanical quality of highest definition. Are they worth the money? If you're a digital shooter, I think not: not until Leica comes out with a M-system sensor that can handle colors properly, perform at other than base ISO and be full-frame. IMO, the weakest and strongest point of M-glass: fantastic to produce tonal range and transitions for black & white photography on certain films, I think this design perspective shows too much even today as the M8 sensor all but fails in color reproduction and low light.

For a Leica M-system I'd recommend some lenses: 28 Summicron, 35 Summilux. 50/2 Summicron and 135 Telyt (modern) are outstanding, worth all the hype around them.

PostPosted: Sun Aug 09, 2009 12:48 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

ChrisLilley wrote:

Jes, even GoKevin sells them for less (not exactly well known for his low prices)

Click here to see on Ebay US $605.00
Click here to see on Ebay US $455.00

Here is one for Click here to see on Ebay.de 385,00 EUR

Glups...!

I may be looking at a different eBay Wink

Jes.

PostPosted: Sun Aug 09, 2009 3:32 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Krisgage wrote:
..... I guess it is the feel of some form of ''status'' using expensive branded lens. Embarassed

haha, this must depend on one's personality.
I personally prefer the understatement, this is how my most used set up looks like:

my S-M-C Takumar 50/1.4 sure has seen better times, but it still takes great photos!

but for some it must be Leica! Very Happy

But on a serious note, which Leica R lenses are considered to be tops?
The Summicron 50/2 is often mentioned, but is it because it is 'relatively' cheap? Which are the great R lenses irrespectively of price?

cheers,
Andreas

PostPosted: Sun Aug 09, 2009 3:49 pm    Post subject: Re: Leica... which are the one?? Reply with quote

Hi Chiti -
Chiti wrote:
Hello guys.

I'm looking for one Leica lens to know this mythical company.

I read more information about Leica, but I have a lot of questions... Embarassed

The first one is which lenses are the best.

Leica, Leica Canada or Leica Wetzlar??

s

There'a lot of rubbish written about Leica, much of it by people who are sufficiently experienced in photography to know better ... let's stick to reality for you.

Leica Camera (used to be called Leitz) had/have a "twin" factory in Canada staffed for a long time by key German personnel and using the same types of machine tooling as in Wetzlar (now in Solms). Both the optical design and manufacture was of equal quality in both places, so you can begin by dismissing any fears that one place was better or poorer than the other. In fact, some designs were made at only one location, and others at both. Where a lens was made in both places, prices were identical. The Canadian works originally allowed Leica easy access to the USA and the British Commonwealth through tariff concessions.

You are right to say "mythical" about Leica - some people now worship its products uncritically, just as so many others (even in this forum) do with Zeiss.

I guess you want to buy one Leica lens to use on your DSLR and wish for guidance as to which one to chose - you say you have a lot of doubts ... Well, any Leitz lens is an excellent lens, if it's in good order, be certain of that. Leica SLR lenses have a distinctive character - you can still buy the 90mm f2.8 Elmarit quite reasonably and it's good starting point. Get one and then go out and make pictures with it, that's what lenses are for.

PostPosted: Sun Aug 09, 2009 3:56 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

The "look" of a lens comes down to the designer's methodology and priorities; you can find 100 chefs to cook the same dish but you're going to get 100 different flavours. Every lens brand (provided it sticks to the same values) would give a different "signature", so there are Zeiss supporters, Leica supporters, Nikon supporters etc.

This is an interesting page giving something to think about:

http://www.dyxum.com/columns/dPhotoworld/Historical_perspective_Minolta_lens_design_philosophy.asp

For me, I use my Minolta kit for some work and Zeiss kit for others, for this reason; the Minolta look and Leica look are for all intent and purpose so close that they are the same. That should explain why Leitz sourced lenses from Minolta.

By the way, many Leica adherents say that the Minolta-sourced lenses sold as Leica lenses all went through better quality contol standards set by Leitz/Leica, as a way to justify their extra expenditure. I never believed this, and Olaf Ulrich agreed:

http://www.photography-forums.com/minolta-md-leica-t13977.html

Hope it is of some interest.

PostPosted: Sun Aug 09, 2009 4:08 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Jesito wrote:

Quote:

Funny thats what I usually say about Takumars versus Zeiss.

PostPosted: Sun Aug 09, 2009 4:20 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

I think that when we're talking about quality, we must take off the theme of the cost. Money is money, OK. Quality of the lenses is another thing. If not, purchase only russian lens, they are the best cost/quality lenses.

The Leica best, are in the M series. No more than this. The summiluxes 35, 50 and 75 are stunning lenses. Excelent image quality special at F/5,6. If you like or need the F/1,4 speed, they are the lenses.

If you doubt, see a 30 x 40 cm copy taken at F/5,6. Not words.

If you want, may look for any article of roger hicks in shutterbug. I learned very much in Leica M practical (not theoretician) use in this way.

The summicrons have more contrast and are very good/excelent in almost all the apertures range.

Not the summiluxes excelent F/5,6 . But great contrast (special the 1969 -6/5- version ).

135/4 Elmar. Almost apo lens. Excelent at all pertures. Great colors and contrast.

Super Wide lenses? Schenider 21/ 3,4.

All of my words are based in my personal experience with 20 years of Leica M use.

Rino.

PostPosted: Sun Aug 09, 2009 6:44 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

If a lens was really produces and built by Leitz, no matter if Germany or Canada, this lens will be excellent. Period!

Top Leica lenses for the use on a crop-DSLR? R-lenses:

- Elmarit 2.8/19
- Elmarit 2.8/28
- any 35mm (Summilux, Summicron, Elmarit, the later the better and the dearer)
- Summilux 1.4/50 post 1998
- Summicron 2/50 post 1976 (I think)
- Macro-Elmarit 2.8/60 (amazing also on fullframe)
- Elmarit 2.8/90
- Macro-Elmarit 2.8/100
- Elmarit 2.8/135
- any 180mm

Is any of these lenses worth several thousand €?
Well, it depends. I would never spend these exorbitant prices.

But still I own three Leica lenses. Here are the prices I have paid:

Leica Elmarit 2.8/35 (S6): €120,-
Leica Summicron 2/50 (latest Canada version): € 120,-
Leica Elmar 4/180 (early version): € 150,-

Are these lenses worth the money I have paid? Definitely!!!

You can find very good Leitz lenses if you are patient...

PostPosted: Sun Aug 09, 2009 8:05 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Thanks to everyone for the answers Wink

Regards

PostPosted: Mon Aug 10, 2009 5:52 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

Some fixed prices for the Summicron 50mm from German ebay:

Click here to see on Ebay.de 278€
Click here to see on Ebay.de 335€
Click here to see on Ebay.de 399€

There were also some decently priced at Ebay USA.

PostPosted: Mon Aug 10, 2009 2:11 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

I think of Leica as being a bit like Mercedes cars. German - beautifully made, solidly engineered, expensive, a little staid and conservative, a status symbol and they usually function flawlessly. But are they the best of the best in all cases? - Probably not, just as a Mercedes does not suit everyone or every purpose. Some cars are better for some people, and I would not really want to throw a Mercedes sedan around a racetrack for example.

I own a couple of M cameras and a screw mount Leica and several lenses (although none that are absolutely up to date - the latest lens I own is from the 1980s.) They are all well engineered and function beautifully. In the main they are designed to shoot wide open - this is partly why you pay the big bucks (most lenses shoot well if you stop them down to at least f5.6. These should perform well open.

I do not know what kind of camera you own or what kind of photography you like so its hard to advise you but in terms of price / performance, probably l a Summicron 35 mm or 50mm (f2) are a good bet. in either SLR mount or M mount.

Some specific lenses attract a premium from the collector - you will recognise these by the price asked. Avoid these. As to lenses made in Germany or Canada, this only matters to the collector. As a user they are identical in design an build. Buy the Canadian one for preference as its cheaper and does the same thing.

Go here to research Steve Gandy's assessment of the various lenses, cameras etc.
http://www.cameraquest.com/classics.htm

One of the pages has a short review of each main type of Leica lens.
http://www.cameraquest.com/mlenses.htm

Part of the attraction incidentally is their size - by comparison with most modern SLR lenses and cameras the M lenses and cameras are quite small and discrete.

Last edited by peterm1 on Mon Aug 10, 2009 2:17 pm; edited 2 times in total

PostPosted: Mon Aug 10, 2009 2:14 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

kuuan wrote:

But on a serious note, which Leica R lenses are considered to be tops?
The Summicron 50/2 is often mentioned, but is it because it is 'relatively' cheap? Which are the great R lenses irrespectively of price?

There are some interesting long APO lenses. I don't know how they perform, but they show up every now and again on ebay. If price were no object, they would be interesting to try out; and there are (reversible) Leica-R mount conversions for Pentax and Nikon mounts.

LEICA R 90mm f2 APO SUMMICRON ASPHERICAL
Click here to see on Ebay
950,00 GBP

Leica R 180mm f/2.0 Apo-Summicron
4.695,00 USD

Leica 280mm f2.8 APO Telyt-R
2.499,00 USD BIN

There is also a wierd two-part head+focusing unit system that does like 480mm, 560mm or so, APO. I can't see any on ebay at the moment.

Last edited by ChrisLilley on Mon Aug 10, 2009 4:20 pm; edited 1 time in total

PostPosted: Mon Aug 10, 2009 4:14 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Perhaps another thing to thin about is why do you want (if you do that) a Leica.

The leica M tests don't say nothing interesant, because the great adventage of these lenses are the IQ. And to know that IQ you have to see the pic in front of you, face to face. I think that you will not see the best of the lens watching the monitor.

The well-known specialty of system M, is the activity in the streets. Any M cam is light, little, not very showy. And the lenses are within the same frame of reference.

If you want the M system for this intention, no matter if the lens is wetzlar or canada. If you dessambled the lens, you will find the exactly focal length of each lens taxed by hand in the interior of same by the QC man, canada and wetzlar lenses.

Don't think about the price, if you want to find a lens with almost the same Q than other of the same brand, with definitive great mechanical and optical quality, excelent build, light, little and with excelent IQ, I recommend LEICA M. Canada or wetzlar ones (discussion for about 40 years, only for collectors)

Rino.

PostPosted: Mon Aug 10, 2009 4:21 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Ah.. I forget.

In SRL, I don't say nothing about R system, because here is Zeiss for me.

Rino