Home

Please support mflenses.com if you need any graphic related work order it from us, click on above banner to order!

SearchSearch MemberlistMemberlist RegisterRegister ProfileProfile Log in to check your private messagesLog in to check your private messages Log inLog in

Need more info on CZJ with Nikon body
View previous topic :: View next topic  

PostPosted: Wed Aug 12, 2009 7:30 am    Post subject: Need more info on CZJ with Nikon body Reply with quote

Hi,

After I saw http://forum.mflenses.com/czj-sonnar-180-2-8-and-nikon-d70-t7724.html post on CZJ with Nikon D70, I got bug on CZJ.

I mostly ignore M42 mount lenses because it cannot get infinity focus without extra magnifying glass.

Since there are a lot of CZJ with different mount or probably different name which confuse me, I need help on which CZJ does support infinity focus with adapter. I am looking at 180mm range and 300mm range.

for CZJ 180mm f2.8, does it better than Nikon 180mm f2.8 AF ED?

Thanks in advance for your help.
Wilco

PostPosted: Wed Aug 12, 2009 8:10 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

My Carl Zeiis JEna 180 f2.8 is a P6 or Pentacon Six mount! As are all of them! If it says M42 in a discription or Praktika, then there is only the appropriat adapter in place!

As Pentacon Six is a medium Format System there is no problem with infinity focus at all!

I don't know the Nikkor 180 2.8 but I really love my CZJ!

PostPosted: Wed Aug 12, 2009 8:18 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

I had Nikkor 180mm f2.8 ED AIS and CZJ Sonnar in all variant. To me they are equal lenses optically. I sold Nikkor and kept CZJ lenses either of them good choice.

PostPosted: Wed Aug 12, 2009 4:06 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Thanks Attlia. Is there any other mount except from P6 that does not need extra glass for nikon body?

CZJ DDR, Exakta etc.. are the same?
Can Contax mount fit with adapter on Nikon body without extra glass for infinity focus?

Is there any link or documentation that I can read?

Regards,
Wilco

PostPosted: Wed Aug 12, 2009 4:18 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

The Nikon F register is longer than most (all common?) SLR registers. Therefore you can't produce an adapter for infinity with most SLR lenses - without using an optical element.

Medium format alternatives to P6 include Mamiya 645 and Hasselblad.

Aternatively there are quite a few 3rd party lenses in Nikon F mount.

PostPosted: Wed Aug 12, 2009 7:48 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Attila wrote:
I had Nikkor 180mm f2.8 ED AIS and CZJ Sonnar in all variant. To me they are equal lenses optically. I sold Nikkor and kept CZJ lenses either of them good choice.

I found the two lenses differ significantly in both sharpness wide open, usability, and signature they produce in images. One does not quite replace another.

Nikkor*ED 180/2.8 is by far more contrasty wide open (Jena Sonnars have quite low contrast at f/2.8 ), and slightly sharper. Anyway, images produced by Nikkor wide open look sharper because of higher contrast, while they not necessarily have significantly higher resolution than the Sonnar.

Stopped down to f/4, contrast and sharpness are equal on the two lenses, but Nikkor starts showing rather harsh rendering of background, while Sonnar becomes creamy smooth.

At all apertures, Sonnar is significantly heavier, bulkier, and more flare-prone than the Nikkor. Overall, Nikkor is a better walkaround and wildlife lens, while Sonnar is the one I'd pick for occasional tight portraits.

BTW, the older, non-ED Nikkor 180/2.8 was a copy of CZJ Sonnar. If I stumble upon a cheap one, I'll grab it for testing.

PostPosted: Wed Aug 12, 2009 7:57 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

aoleg wrote:
Attila wrote:

I found the two lenses differ significantly in both sharpness wide open, usability, and signature they produce in images. One does not quite replace another.

Nikkor*ED 180/2.8 is by far more contrasty wide open (Jena Sonnars have quite low contrast at f/2.8 ), and slightly sharper. Anyway, images produced by Nikkor wide open look sharper because of higher contrast, while they not necessarily have significantly higher resolution than the Sonnar.

Stopped down to f/4, contrast and sharpness are equal on the two lenses, but Nikkor starts showing rather harsh rendering of background, while Sonnar becomes creamy smooth.

At all apertures, Sonnar is significantly heavier, bulkier, and more flare-prone than the Nikkor. Overall, Nikkor is a better walkaround and wildlife lens, while Sonnar is the one I'd pick for occasional tight portraits.

BTW, the older, non-ED Nikkor 180/2.8 was a copy of CZJ Sonnar. If I stumble upon a cheap one, I'll grab it for testing.

Impressions depend from copy variants and lens variants Sonnar has no stable quality like Nikon have it, I agree most of them what you wrote here. I have oldest type Olympic Sonnar with superb contrast and newer edition with lower contrast.

My best Carl Zeiss Jena Sonnar copy.
http://www.mflenses.com/gallery/v/german/zeiss/sonnar/olypic_sonnar180mm/

PostPosted: Wed Aug 12, 2009 10:00 pm    Post subject: Re: Need more info on CZJ with Nikon body Reply with quote

wilco wrote:

for CZJ 180mm f2.8, does it better than Nikon 180mm f2.8 AF ED?

I don't know the CZJ 180/2.8, but for Nikkor 180/2.8 the one to beat is the AIS 180/2.8 ED. The AF or AF-D ED is less good, and the earlier pre-AI or AI 180/2.8 (non ED) is the weakest.

For all of these, lateral CA is well controlled due to the ED design, but axial CA can be problematic.

To improve on that, you would need an APO lens and your options would be

* Voigtländer 180/4 APO
    * Mamiya 645 180/2.8 APO
    * Leica 180/3.4 APO