Home

Please support mflenses.com if you need any graphic related work order it from us, click on above banner to order!

SearchSearch MemberlistMemberlist RegisterRegister ProfileProfile Log in to check your private messagesLog in to check your private messages Log inLog in

CZJ Flektogon electric 2.4/35 vs Schneider Kreuznach 2.8/35
View previous topic :: View next topic  

PostPosted: Wed Aug 12, 2009 5:35 pm    Post subject: CZJ Flektogon electric 2.4/35 vs Schneider Kreuznach 2.8/35 Reply with quote

Everything is in the title. Which one is the best ? I can have them for nearly the same price. It seems that the Schneider is very light and compact, but what is its optic quality ?

PostPosted: Wed Aug 12, 2009 7:37 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

I suggest that you read the excelent job of our fellow No-X in this forum:

http://forum.mflenses.com/test-of-8-m42-35mm-lenses-t9092,highlight,flektogon+schneider.html#89020

There, I think that you will find all that you are looking for about these two lenses.

Good luck. Rino

PostPosted: Wed Aug 12, 2009 8:41 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Schneider 35/2.8 is quite interesting lens, but not very practical for everyday usage. The lens is good stopped down (f/8, even better at f/11), but not the best at f/2.8-f/4. The problem is quite weak coating, which tends to inner reflections. However, it's not bad if you use it for scenarios without direct sunlight or light sources. Diffused light is quite ok even at f/2.8:

http://img3.abload.de/img/sdim4086h0d1q.jpg

Flektogon is slightly sharper stopped down, more sharp at f/2.8-f/4, but curtagon has lower CA. I think Flektogon is better for everyday use and it's likely the most oniveresal 35mm lens for M2 mount.

However, the best 35mm M42 lens for wide-opened usage is (on my opinion) S-M-C 35/2.0...

100% crop:

...and for f/11 Auto Takumar 35/2.3:

http://img3.abload.de/img/sdim7761hr9i6a.jpg

Maybe some 35mm lenses are as sharp at f/8, f/7 or even slightly sharper, but this Takumar is uncrowned APO lens and the only M42 35mm lens, which is completely CA free...

PostPosted: Thu Aug 13, 2009 7:32 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

Wow, this is a very interesting test ! As usual should I say, the Takumar are the sharpest, followed by the CZJ. The Schneider is not exceptionnal when full-opened.

I think I will hesitate between the Takumar and the CZJ, I found a Super Takumar 35/3.5 and a Flektogon 35/2.4. May I take the two, because the CZJ could be used for proxy / macro and choosen for its bokeh, which is said to be very good.

PostPosted: Thu Aug 13, 2009 7:44 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

Yes, Flek has softer bokeh, than the Takumars (and majority of other 35mm lenses). The only disadvantage is hexagonal iris, which can affect the bokeh if stopped down.

PostPosted: Thu Aug 13, 2009 11:24 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

I don't use my flektogon 2,4 any more (yes I know, by now).

I find that "she" is very soft at corners, and not very well build. Yes, very good resolution at center. Very nice colors. But didn't fall in love with her bokeh.

As "macro" I don't like the 35 mm perspective, prefer the short tele ones.

I Don't use 35 mm lens (20 mm and 50 mm). But if use it again, I will try the Takumar PRO.

In schneider 35 mm I only use the retina reflex curtagon 2,8/35 a shortly time. It seemed to be a very good lens. With an original shade that is one of the beauty that I saw.

Rino.