Home

Please support mflenses.com if you need any graphic related work order it from us, click on above banner to order!

SearchSearch MemberlistMemberlist RegisterRegister ProfileProfile Log in to check your private messagesLog in to check your private messages Log inLog in

Anyone knows this spider? - S-Planar 100
View previous topic :: View next topic  

PostPosted: Tue Aug 11, 2009 9:34 pm    Post subject: Anyone knows this spider? - S-Planar 100 Reply with quote

Today I found a really interesting looking spider, perhaps someone of you can help my to indentify this, well, beauty would be the wrong word Smile.

The net looks really cool, it's three-dimensional and looking like a fishnet, more than 12" in every direction, like a cube. Very hard not to touch it.
Unfortunately the wind was strong, making focussing very hard.

PostPosted: Wed Aug 12, 2009 11:10 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

Well done Sandy! The net looks really intersting! Did you know that spider webs are highly UV reflective to attrect more prey?

PostPosted: Wed Aug 12, 2009 12:09 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Thanks Klaus,
Really? That's very clever, indeed and makes a lot of sense.
I've never seen such a net, it's very strong, much stronger than a normal spidernet.

Im getting more and more interested in the UV photography.

PostPosted: Wed Aug 12, 2009 4:23 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Here the story:
http://photographyoftheinvisibleworld.blogspot.com/2009/06/spider-web-reflects-uv-to-attract-prey.html

and here pics proving that (I don't want to hijack your thread, so I made them small):

visible light shot:

UV shot:

UV photography is not for the faint hearted since it throws you back in time quite a bit since most has to be done manually (not autofocus, no auto exposure, no liveview, special lenses and filters which are black for our eyes) - but this is the "manual lenses forum" so I guess you would not be afraid about that... Wink

PostPosted: Thu Aug 13, 2009 7:45 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

That's the strangest spider I've seen, and the fishing-net like web looks very unusual too. I'd be interested to know more about it.
Nice shot,.

PostPosted: Thu Aug 13, 2009 9:07 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

kds315* wrote:
and here pics proving that (I don't want to hijack your thread, so I made them small):

Thank you Klaus, you're welcome, this post was meant to be more scientific than just photography. Smile

There's no problem with manual focus and missing modern features - no AF lenses and no liveview here - Am I ready for UV? I really would like to try it in near future Wink

Thanks Paul, she's strange indeed. I'll try to visit her later again, I saw three concoons around her.
But as I said, it's very hard to get close, the web is very well build and large and it's not my intention to make her nervous.
I really would like to know more about it too.

PostPosted: Thu Aug 13, 2009 9:48 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

Well Sandy,

let me know when you are ready, I have all what's needed....

Cheers,