Home

Please support mflenses.com if you need any graphic related work order it from us, click on above banner to order!

SearchSearch MemberlistMemberlist RegisterRegister ProfileProfile Log in to check your private messagesLog in to check your private messages Log inLog in

Meyer Optik 300 f4 versus Zeiss 300 f4
View previous topic :: View next topic  

PostPosted: Sun Aug 09, 2009 6:12 pm    Post subject: Meyer Optik 300 f4 versus Zeiss 300 f4 Reply with quote

Hi,

for some time I'm searching for a 300mm f4 lens for my Nikon and was thinking about a Carl Zeiss Jena 300 f4 with P6 mount. I really like my Zeiss Jena 180 2.8 the most of all my lenses, so it was the logically way!

Now there is a Meyer Optik 300 f4 at a local camera store used good condition for 99€.

What do you think? Is the Meyer much worse than the Zeiss? How about the quality on a APS-C cam? I heard bad things about the lense on it's original medium format purpose but good things on APS-C, where you are using the sweet spot of the sweet spot!

But how good it is compared to the Zeiss or my Zeiss 180 2.8 I couldn't figure out! Can you guys help?

Anyone having both?

PostPosted: Sun Aug 09, 2009 6:17 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Less sharp at wide open, but still good enough. All over nice lens, not much worst than CZJ.

PostPosted: Sun Aug 09, 2009 6:22 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Thank you for the quick response attila!

Would you call the Meyer tack sharp at 5.6 or would that require f8?

Is the f4 setting useless or does it just needs some sharpening in advance?

I have the Volna 80 2.8 which is meant to be a little bit soft wide open but I absolutely like it wide open and am impressed stopped down to f4!?

PostPosted: Sun Aug 09, 2009 6:30 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Not sure tack sharp or not at f8 , but sharp enough I think. I recommend to take this lens. It will be sharper at stopped down that for sure. It is usable at F4 due heavy weight need sturdy tripod and/or strong arm if you use as walking lens in zoo.

PostPosted: Sun Aug 09, 2009 6:41 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

That's a statement!

I don't have a problem running around with my Zeiss 180 2.8 and my Dix handheld the whole day, so the extra 500g shouldn't be a problem! Wink

PostPosted: Sun Aug 09, 2009 6:44 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Great! I think it has lovely character with great color and bokeh.

PostPosted: Sun Aug 09, 2009 7:06 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

I'm excited about the 16 blade aperture!!!!!

PostPosted: Sun Aug 09, 2009 7:08 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Karhallarn wrote:
I'm excited about the 16 blade aperture!!!!!

Perhaps this is the reason why this lens has superb bokeh.

PostPosted: Sun Aug 09, 2009 7:21 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Bold assumption... Wink

PostPosted: Tue Aug 11, 2009 5:13 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

I love my Meyer 300 f/ 4 but cannot comment on the Zeiss 300. F/ 4 is not that bad but one step up and it does get better. The Iris on this lens is really something to behold. I can watch it open and close for hours. Really a thing of beauty. I use mine hand held a lot but the tripod gives much sharper photos with it.

PostPosted: Tue Aug 11, 2009 7:12 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

I thought about it some more and I decided against the Meyer in favor of a Zeiss! It's just that I really love my Zeiss and even if I would absolutey recommend my Volna, it's not like my Zeiss in Look and fell of the pictures.

So I keep looking and tel you when I've purchased a Zeiss!

Thank you all for your advice anyway!