Home

Please support mflenses.com if you need any graphic related work order it from us, click on above banner to order!

SearchSearch MemberlistMemberlist RegisterRegister ProfileProfile Log in to check your private messagesLog in to check your private messages Log inLog in

Zenith 3M and Helios 58mm
View previous topic :: View next topic  

PostPosted: Mon Aug 10, 2009 7:55 pm    Post subject: Zenith 3M and Helios 58mm Reply with quote

This is a scan from a roll I shot i Copenhagen when there was a Jazz festival going on.

Camera is from 1966, lens from 1960.

I know, strangely, a part of the camera history. It was purchased used by a Russian soldier before he was sent to Afghanistan. In one way or another came in Afghani ownership.
The new owners son was many years later working for the Danish Army in Afghanistan.
He had to leave the country and is now residing in Denmark. I
purchased the camera from him.

PostPosted: Mon Aug 10, 2009 8:26 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

very naturalistic, I like that the lens/film combo doesn't push itself in my face by bragging about its sharpness and color... in fact, the overall color tone across all the pics is very congenial.

PostPosted: Mon Aug 10, 2009 9:40 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Nice samples from a really nice camera! I have several copies from this lens I gave one copy to Orio he did try on Canon 5D he was very satisfied with lens quality.

PostPosted: Mon Aug 10, 2009 11:04 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Great pictures. I would recommend a rebuild if it hasn't been already. I notice a slightly lighter area in three of your pictures in the lower left. I suspect the foam around the prism has deteriorated and is causing a bit of light leak. Replace them and if you feel really ambitious paint inside the chrome top with matte black paint. Once you do that, the camera will be supremely reliable.

PostPosted: Mon Aug 10, 2009 11:51 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Nice set Henrik. The shot of Nyhavn brings back many happy memories for me.

PostPosted: Tue Aug 11, 2009 7:37 am    Post subject: Re: Zenith 3M and Helios 58mm Reply with quote

lahnet wrote:

I know, strangely, a part of the camera history. It was purchased used by a Russian soldier before he was sent to Afghanistan. In one way or another came in Afghani ownership.
The new owners son was many years later working for the Danish Army in Afghanistan.
He had to leave the country and is now residing in Denmark. I
purchased the camera from him.

Interesting story of the camera and good examples, especially number eight. If the camera has endured Afghanistan will not bring the owner and in other places. Probably it makes sense to buy for it other objectives with carving М39 - Jupiter-11, Mir-1, Industar-61Lz, Jupiter-21A, Jupiter-9.

PostPosted: Tue Aug 11, 2009 9:23 am    Post subject: Re: Zenith 3M and Helios 58mm Reply with quote

lahnet wrote:
Camera is from 1966, lens from 1960.

Serial numbers of silver Helios-44(-1) lenses don't reflect manufacturing dates. It seems, that all KMZ made samples begin by 0xx and all MMZ made samples begin by 40xx/50xx/60xx/70xx/80xx or 90xx. I don't know, what does it mean, but I think that e.g. 40xx lens is made in 1964, 60xx lens in 1966 etc. Only a speculation, of course Smile

PostPosted: Tue Aug 11, 2009 6:31 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

What a fascinating story and a wonderful series to demonstrate how good some of these under-rated cameras actually were (are)

patrickh

PostPosted: Tue Aug 11, 2009 11:21 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Fantastic, Henrik! I especially like the close-up of the old Selmer baritone
sax, but all are worthwhile, excellent shots!

PostPosted: Wed Aug 12, 2009 10:02 am    Post subject: Re: Zenith 3M and Helios 58mm Reply with quote

no-X wrote:
I don't know, what does it mean, but I think that e.g. 40xx lens is made in 1964, 60xx lens in 1966 etc. Only a speculation, of course Smile

It is similar to the truth, I had such objective Helios-44 with Zenith-3m.

PostPosted: Sat Aug 15, 2009 6:39 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

Thank you for your comment, and for information about age. I seem that the whole set was produced in 1966. Same year as myself Very Happy