Home

Please support mflenses.com if you need any graphic related work order it from us, click on above banner to order!

SearchSearch MemberlistMemberlist RegisterRegister ProfileProfile Log in to check your private messagesLog in to check your private messages Log inLog in

Should I...shouldn't I...30D
View previous topic :: View next topic  

PostPosted: Fri Jul 31, 2009 11:41 am    Post subject: Should I...shouldn't I...30D Reply with quote

I'm about this (<--------------->) close to buying an EOS 30D. I can get a nice one for £250.00 ish which I think is a bargain, given that the 40D is still selling for nigh on £500.00.

I love my Sony a100 and a200 for size, but the cameras struggle at high ISO settings. I have an old EOS 300D which does a better job at ISO 400 - 1600.

Basically I'm not a fan of flash photography, which is why I'm interested in the decent high ISO performance of the EOS models. I had a play with one earlier this week and was very impressed. The viewfinder isn't quite as big as the 40D, but the 0.9x magnification is still better than the 0.83x I'm used to. And the burst mode is frightening Shocked

Unless someone tells me not to, I'm going to take the plunge! If anyone has any experience of this model, please post here.

Thanks

PostPosted: Fri Jul 31, 2009 12:52 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

40D offer liveview and replaceable mate screens, important for manual focus

PostPosted: Fri Jul 31, 2009 2:40 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

poilu wrote:
40D offer liveview and replaceable mate screens, important for manual focus

Good point, but I could always buy a custom screen for the 30D. I must admit, the 40D is very nice and has a lovely viewfinder, but I can't justify the price at the mo.

PostPosted: Fri Jul 31, 2009 8:10 pm    Post subject: Canon 30D experience Reply with quote

Hi there,
My first DSLR was a Canon 350D, with an AF superzoom, and I became so disconnected from the photograph-taking process that I almost gave up photography!
Then I found a few enthralling websites, plus the MF forums, and I sold the 350D and bought a 30D. It was like getting a real camera back again, and I wouldn't hesitate if I were you. Yes the 40D is better (I've upgraded to one, along with a Nikon D200 - see some of my other posts), but if your budget says 30D it will still be worth it.
I tried some of the eBay focusing screens on the 30D, with mixed results. If you want a different screen I would look at www.focusingscreen.com, I think they would be better. I've gone to a Katzeye for the Nikon.
Hope this helps.

Regards

Angus

PostPosted: Fri Jul 31, 2009 9:31 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Hi Photomac

Thanks for the advice. I took the plunge and purchased it! It feels very beefy if comparison to my smaller DSLRs, so I'm pleased with the decision. Just need to sell some stuff to pay for it now Laughing

PostPosted: Tue Aug 04, 2009 4:07 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

EOS 30D?

It's a good camera! I used it for half year -- it has still good quality accepted by stock image companies --

8 mpx only but it does a nice job with MF lenses --

tf

PostPosted: Tue Aug 11, 2009 9:40 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

I went from the 30D to the 40D basically primarily for the extra 2mpix and the live view. If I didn't need these features, then I would've been very happy with the 30D all the way. Changing the screen also isn't that difficult. I had the Haoda screen which was pretty good.

PostPosted: Tue Aug 11, 2009 11:18 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

I've only been out with the camera once, but so far impressions are good!

I don't need exposure compensation anywhere near as ,much as with the Sonys, and the camera feels really solid. My only gripe with it is one small bit of dust on the sensor which my rocket blower won't remove. Looks like I'll need some wipes!

PostPosted: Tue Aug 11, 2009 12:00 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

30D looks a nice camera. I like the live view on my 40D, but I can live without it.

What's the focus screen like? Is it the same as the 40D? If so, I've a cheap split prism that I may get rid of.

I have a sensor cleaning kit. Very useful!

PostPosted: Tue Aug 11, 2009 12:40 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

martinsmith99 wrote:
30D looks a nice camera. I like the live view on my 40D, but I can live without it.

What's the focus screen like? Is it the same as the 40D? If so, I've a cheap split prism that I may get rid of.

I have a sensor cleaning kit. Very useful!

Canon changed the viewfinder with the 40D I think, making it slightly larger and with easily interchangalbe screens. The 30D screen is still bigger than I'm used to however, so no complaints from me Laughing

Ideally I would have preferred a 40D, but I couldn't justify it at the moment. I tried a friend's and was very impressed Cool

PostPosted: Tue Aug 11, 2009 7:50 pm    Post subject: Canon 30D experience Reply with quote

I'm glad you are enjoying the 30D - I found it well worth while changing to it.

If you want to try one of the ebay chinese focusing screens, I'm sure I can find one around in my pile of bits (oops - collection of stored spare parts!). You are welcome to it. Just send me a pm with your address and I'll stick it in the post.

Regards

Angus

PostPosted: Tue Aug 11, 2009 9:15 pm    Post subject: Re: Canon 30D experience Reply with quote

Photomac wrote:
I'm glad you are enjoying the 30D - I found it well worth while changing to it.

If you want to try one of the ebay chinese focusing screens, I'm sure I can find one around in my pile of bits (oops - collection of stored spare parts!). You are welcome to it. Just send me a pm with your address and I'll stick it in the post.

Regards

Angus

Hi Angus

What a kind offer Smile I actually find the normal viewfinder pretty good, but I guess I've never had a big, good quality film camera to compare to! I'll send you a PM shortly.

Regards

Graham