Home

Please support mflenses.com if you need any graphic related work order it from us, click on above banner to order!

SearchSearch MemberlistMemberlist RegisterRegister ProfileProfile Log in to check your private messagesLog in to check your private messages Log inLog in

Anyone use the Zebra version of the Pentacon CZ Jena DDR 180
View previous topic :: View next topic  

PostPosted: Sun Aug 09, 2009 4:51 pm    Post subject: Anyone use the Zebra version of the Pentacon CZ Jena DDR 180 Reply with quote

Hi everyone.

I figured someone here would be an expert on these.

I'm looking at an offer for what I believe is a Pentacon mount version of the Carl Zeiss Jena DDR Sonnar 180mm f/2.8 lens. It's the 'zebra' version.

I've not had any experience with CZ Jenas, only the Contax CZ versions.

How would a lens like this in very good condition compare to a Contax CZ 180mm 2.8?

Would you be able to share any sample photos taken with this lens?

Are there any peculiarities or specifics I should consider before getting this lens with an EOS adapter?

Thanks in advance!

PostPosted: Sun Aug 09, 2009 5:05 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

I have both lenses certainly Contax is better , but a good copy of Jena lens very close to it.

http://www.mflenses.com/gallery/v/german/zeiss/sonnar/carl_zeiss_jena_sonnar_180mm_zebra/

PostPosted: Sun Aug 09, 2009 5:09 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Attila, thank you for the very quick reply and also the link!

How much do you figure a good copy is worth paying (in USD)?

As a reference ... I have very recently been spoilt seeing the results from CYCZ 85 1.4 AEJ and 28-85mm zoom lense on a Canon DSLR! Would I be disappointed from the results of the 180 Pentacon CZJena DDR or please let me rephrase: How many % of the CYCZ lens performance can I expect from the Pentacon lens?

Should I look at a CZ JENA 180MM F/2.8 Sonnar (all black lens) instead for better performance?

PostPosted: Sun Aug 09, 2009 5:18 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Hard question we have all different opinion from same cases. Personally I almost don't like B&W photographs most people love it.. I like only on a limited area them. Same thing your question...

http://www.mflenses.com/gallery/v/german/zeiss/

All Carl Zeiss Jena

http://www.mflenses.com/gallery/v/german/carl_zeiss/

All Carl Zeiss Contax

Price of good copy of Zebra Sonnar 100-200 usd.

If you have already Contax version don't take it.

PostPosted: Sun Aug 09, 2009 5:34 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Dream, I had the Zebra 180/2.8 for quite a while before
foolishly selling it. It was crap on the outside, but the glass
was wonderful. I'm now looking for another, because
I frankly loved the lens. It's big, it's clunky, and it's
excellent.

I could certainly guess that a Contax is better, if you
are looking deeply into a print with a microscopic glass.
However, I made some "crackling sharp" 16x20s from
the Sonnar.

In my opinion, the Sonnar outstrips my skills
as a photographer. Very Happy I was never disappointed with
the sharpness, and since I didn't know any better,
I assume that it was just as resolving as the MC version.

PostPosted: Sun Aug 09, 2009 6:02 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Thanks again Attila.

I saw those earlier but I asked because from the web version (album) on my screen, many f the shots look a little soft! Many of them look almost out-of-focus ... so it's hard to tell. Also, I wanted to hear first-hand encounters from users.

Which Laurence has very graciously provided. Thanks Laurence!

I will be looking more seriously into the Pentacon CZ Sonnar zebra, but as some have mentioned ... hard decisions. I can't really afford the inflated prices on ebay for the CYCZ version. Local sources are worse. Going by what Attila estimates, even the Pentacon versions are inflated in price on ebay.

PostPosted: Sun Aug 09, 2009 8:10 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

I own the CZJ 180 2.8 Zebra Version and use it on my Nikon D1x. It's tack sharp at f4 and can be really sharp at f2.8 if focused correctly.

I wouldn't let it go anyway! I payed 80€ for it and I would pay even 200€ today because it's such a great lense!

There is something around the look of the CZJ lenses that makes the gorgeous! I can't explain!

this picture was taken with the CZJ and there is no postprocesing or anything else applied! Just raw converted to jpeg! F2.8!

PostPosted: Mon Aug 10, 2009 1:44 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

I compared the two. The Contax version is certainly better: sharpness wide open, contrast (especially contrast), less bulk and weight and far less gambling when it comes to sample variation and QC problems. On the other hand, a 'Zebra' can be had for $140-170, while Contax Sonnar will cost at least $340 (for comparison, CZJ MC Sonnar 180/2.8 can be $240-270, and it's still bulkier and less sharp than the Contax). That said, from f/4 the two lenses are almost equally sharp.

PostPosted: Mon Aug 10, 2009 5:36 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

Thanks guys!

That's more info for me to work on.

Back to the think tank ...