Home

Please support mflenses.com if you need any graphic related work order it from us, click on above banner to order!

SearchSearch MemberlistMemberlist RegisterRegister ProfileProfile Log in to check your private messagesLog in to check your private messages Log inLog in

Leica or Contax zoom lens?
View previous topic :: View next topic  

PostPosted: Wed Jul 29, 2009 10:23 pm    Post subject: Leica or Contax zoom lens? Reply with quote

I'm new here as well as to photography. First off I'd like to say hi to everyone and I think this is a great site. I hope one day after I get more advanced in photography I'll be able to help contribute and share some photos with everyone here.

My question is which companies zoom lens would be better when it comes to sharpness and nothing but sharpness Leica or Contax. I'm looking at the 70/80-200/210mm range of lenses and I think there is a total of 5 or 6 different ones I've found so far. I've done a ton of research and lenses on both sides seem to get awesome reviews but I have yet to find anyone that has compare the two however Leica does seem to have the edge from what I've read. Once again all I'm looking for is the one that is better in terms of sharpness. Are there any in this range I should definitely stay away from or are they all as good as I've read? Any advise or info would be greatly appreciated.
Thanks,
Joe

PostPosted: Wed Jul 29, 2009 10:37 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

I have the Contax Carl Zeiss Vario-Sonnar T* 80-200 f/4 and I love it.

Very sharp and good bokeh!

PostPosted: Thu Jul 30, 2009 4:47 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

Thanks for the reply Lazzaros. So far I still haven't decided on which one to get. There's a LEICA 80-200MM f/4.5 VARIO-ELMAR-R on ebay right now that I might try to bid on but there's only 10 hours left on it and I'm just not sure yet.

PostPosted: Thu Jul 30, 2009 6:27 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

good to know; most Leica R zoom are from Minolta, with 3x more $

PostPosted: Thu Jul 30, 2009 6:57 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

The general consensus seems to be that the zeiss 80-200/4 is better than the 80-200/4.5 leica but the newer leica 80-200/4 is the best of the bunch (but much more expensive!)

PostPosted: Sat Aug 01, 2009 1:23 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

The Leica 80-200mm f/4 is much better than the minolta-designed, Leica-branded zooms of similar specs. It's the first zoom I've liked. If you have deep pockets the Leica 80-180mm f/2.8 APO has no peer.

PostPosted: Sat Aug 01, 2009 3:01 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Thanks for the replies. After thinking about it some more I think I'm going to try and get a 100-300mm Contax if I can find one. The new Leica 80-200 sounds awesome but its out of my price range.