Home

Please support mflenses.com if you need any graphic related work order it from us, click on above banner to order!

SearchSearch MemberlistMemberlist RegisterRegister ProfileProfile Log in to check your private messagesLog in to check your private messages Log inLog in

Pentacon 3.5/30
View previous topic :: View next topic  

PostPosted: Fri Jul 17, 2009 11:36 am    Post subject: Pentacon 3.5/30 Reply with quote

Won an auction for a Pentacon 3.5/30 M42 for 5 Euros.
It is said that it is a Meyer Lydith sucessor.
Any comments on this lens welcome.

PostPosted: Fri Jul 17, 2009 1:00 pm    Post subject: Re: Pentacon 3.5/30 Reply with quote

MF-addicted wrote:
Won an auction for a Pentacon 3.5/30 M42 for 5 Euros.
It is said that it is a Meyer Lydith sucessor.
Any comments on this lens welcome.

I think it IS the Meyer Lydith rebadged by Pentacon.

Quite sharp, far better than the Pentacon 29mm (well, at least my copies). Well worth the 5 € you paid.

PostPosted: Fri Jul 17, 2009 1:06 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

I'd like to see a comparision of Lydith, Primagon and good copy of 29/2.8. My copy of 29/2.8 wasn't bad, but Primagon outperformed it (higher sharpness, none CA).

PostPosted: Fri Jul 17, 2009 1:53 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

I had several Pentacon 29, one 30 and one Meyer Primagon 4.5/35 and now a 2.8/29 Meyer Orestegon.

Sad to say but all Pentacons were more or less crap. Bad corners, misaligned lenses. The Meyer Orestegon is the best so far.

At 4.5 the 2.8/29 Meyer Orestegon is far better than the Meyer Primagon 4.5/35! More Details, better colours, more FOV - if you need. I would have kept the Primagon but it was very sensitive to scattered light.

Unfortunately the Pentacon/Meyer Lydith 3.5/30 does not go with my EOS 5D. Is was bad at corners too. Maybe a good performer on film.

PostPosted: Fri Jul 17, 2009 2:13 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

mflex-on wrote:
I had several Pentacon 29, one 30 and one Meyer Primagon 4.5/35 and now a 2.8/29 Meyer Orestegon.

Sad to say but all Pentacons were more or less crap. Bad corners, misaligned lenses. The Meyer Orestegon is the best so far.

At 4.5 the 2.8/29 Meyer Orestegon is far better than the Meyer Primagon 4.5/35! More Details, better colours, more FOV - if you need. I would have kept the Primagon but it was very sensitive to scattered light.

Unfortunately the Pentacon/Meyer Lydith 3.5/30 does not go with my EOS 5D. Is was bad at corners too. Maybe a good performer on film.

Meyer was on top at before war equal level than Zeiss in my experience, after war they starting to going down and reach lowest quality built quality and quality control at Pentacon. Some of Pentacon lens has excellent quality, like 135mm f2.8, 100mm f2.8 and I didn't detect any optical quality issue.

PostPosted: Fri Jul 17, 2009 2:45 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

My copy is decent. Last summer I went to Russia and the pentacon made it into my bag as my only wide-angle (largely because it was compact compared to my Mir 10A) . I didn't anticipate using it all that much but it ended up taking about 90% of my photos. Here is a sample, 1st corrected for a blue cast (because of the sky) but not sharpened, 2nd and 3rd crops from original scan - no alterations: Fuji Reala 100 film, Zenit B, Canoscan 700f

~Marc

Last edited by themoleman342 on Fri Jul 17, 2009 4:02 pm; edited 2 times in total

PostPosted: Fri Jul 17, 2009 3:13 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Here is my copy: http://www.flickr.com/photos/10403737@N03/3729782200/
The lens, if you have a good copy, is really dependable and consistent. There are no real surprises. This can be a good thing for your style of photography or not so much. Also, this lens has one of the shortest focus throws I've ever encountered. It is slightly less than a half a turn. Which again can be good and can be bad. I frankly like the feel of a bit more precision in my focus even if it doesn't make all that much difference for a wide-angle. But anyways good luck with it.

PostPosted: Fri Jul 17, 2009 4:04 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

I quite like my copy, although a bit 'loose' and battered it works well enough on 4/3.

A crop...

(sorry - terrible tint)

PostPosted: Fri Jul 17, 2009 10:41 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Thanks for your comments and information. Very Happy
Primarily I want this lens for wide angle people shots and close ups with its color rendition and smooth bokeh.

@themoleman342: thanks for the image and the crops Very Happy

@Xpres: beautiful portrait - exactly the look I want to achieve with this lens Very Happy

PostPosted: Tue Jul 28, 2009 8:17 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

I love this lens.

The construction quality is amazing : 10 blades for a nice star/circular shape, very smooth continuous aperture from a bit below 3.5 to 22. I like it as well because this is my only lens where aperture is on top and the focus ring closest to the camera (like the early alu flektogon 35mm 2.8 I think)... and the most important... image quality is up to my taste !

PostPosted: Tue Jul 28, 2009 8:26 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Great! Congrats for your new beauty!