Home

Please support mflenses.com if you need any graphic related work order it from us, click on above banner to order!

SearchSearch MemberlistMemberlist RegisterRegister ProfileProfile Log in to check your private messagesLog in to check your private messages Log inLog in

Good "light" macro lens?
View previous topic :: View next topic  

PostPosted: Fri Jul 24, 2009 9:12 pm    Post subject: Good "light" macro lens? Reply with quote

I am looking for a nice sharp macro prime that is at least 1:2, but 1:1 is not a requirement. Something fairly affordable in m42, nikon, or OM mount preferred so I can mount it to my Canon 1000D easily. Any recommendations? I have been eyeing a Nikkor 55mm f3.5 micro that seems pretty good, or I have always liked Russian lenses if there are any good ones out there.

Or would I be better off just adding a 25mm tube to my Helios 44?

Thanks in advance.

PostPosted: Fri Jul 24, 2009 9:16 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Tubes are a good way to begin.

After, as you like russian lenses : the industar-61 is a very good lens.
http://www.mflenses.com/Industar-61L-Z-50mm-f-2.8-Macro-Lens-Review.html
http://forum.mflenses.com/industar-61-a-macro-lens-t17320,highlight,industar61.html

Smile

PostPosted: Fri Jul 24, 2009 11:30 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

What is your budget?

PostPosted: Sat Jul 25, 2009 12:05 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

I'm a big fan of the little 50/4 Macro-Takumars. There are three M42 versions. The Macro-Takumar goes from 1:1 to infinity, excellent IQ wide open, also excellent substitute for a normal lens (not as fast however). A favorite walk-around lens. The Super- and Super-Multi-Coated Macro-Takumars go to 1:2, I think IQ is slightly better, hard to tell. ebaY prices this year have averaged around $77US. The 1:1 $95US.
242 grams, 61mm diameter x 54.5mm length (at infinity, the barrel extends nearly double for 1:2, 1:1), closest focus distance is 243mm (9.24").

PostPosted: Sat Jul 25, 2009 2:01 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

no-X wrote:
What is your budget?

under $100. I'm a bang-for-the-buck kinda guy.

That Takumar looks pretty good, I will have to look into it.

Does anyone know much about the 55mm 3.5 Micro NIkkor non-AI ?

PostPosted: Sat Jul 25, 2009 8:04 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

Volna-9 2.8/50
or any decent 50mm with an APO close-up lens in front.

PostPosted: Sat Jul 25, 2009 10:46 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

While I'm a Nikkor tyro, my first purchase was the 3.5 Micro Nikkor Ai. The lens is very nicely put together, and does what it's supposed to. I used it as a general purpose lens as well as for close ups, and about the only complaint I have is the max aperture... but then, that's part of the design.

The extension tube I got at the same time is a non-Ai tube... lets you get to 1:1 with the lens.