Home

Please support mflenses.com if you need any graphic related work order it from us, click on above banner to order!

SearchSearch MemberlistMemberlist RegisterRegister ProfileProfile Log in to check your private messagesLog in to check your private messages Log inLog in

Anyone know what this is? Nikon 35mm f1.4 AIS
View previous topic :: View next topic  

PostPosted: Tue Jan 22, 2013 8:39 pm    Post subject: Anyone know what this is? Nikon 35mm f1.4 AIS Reply with quote

I got this Nikon 35mm f1.4 AIS lens and it looks to be in excellent condition. However when looking at the front of the lens there are two silver rings with some crud around them. It looks almost like deteriorated foam. I have no idea what it is. Looking around at other pictures I see that some of them show the two silver rings, but most do not. Anyone know?

PostPosted: Tue Jan 22, 2013 8:44 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Never seen it before, I'd need close up shots to have a better chance at guessing what it is.

PostPosted: Tue Jan 22, 2013 8:48 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

"Schneideritis" on the outer edge of the lens element where it is cemented/glued to the lens barrel. It won't show in your images because it is outside the optical path of light entering the lens. It won't affect use, it may affect value if you try and sell the lens to a nitpicker. You can find this on old lenses which were permanently fixed to the barrel.

PostPosted: Wed Jan 23, 2013 3:34 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

It may reduce contrast by an imperceptible amount. Some lens maker painted the edges of elements black to reduce stray light ans increase contrast.

PostPosted: Wed Jan 23, 2013 5:07 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

So the 35mm f1.4 AIS has elements that are glued in place? that sucks, I'll be avoiding that one for sure.

PostPosted: Wed Jan 23, 2013 5:27 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

Lightshow wrote:
So the 35mm f1.4 AIS has elements that are glued in place? that sucks, I'll be avoiding that one for sure.

I took the front group out easily enough, but could not get into it. There's a retaining ring with 2 slots for a spanner in the middle, but I couldn't get it to budge. I don't know if the elements are cemented together or to the metal housing, but it certainly seems possible.

PostPosted: Wed Jan 23, 2013 10:32 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

Read more about the lens construction here: http://imaging.nikon.com/history/nikkor/27/index.htm

3. Lens construction

This is a retrofocus lens composed of nine elements in seven groups as shown in Fig. 1.

The lens is characterized by two similar concave elements in the front end and three separate convex elements in the rear end groups. Fast lenses entail larger lens diameters. The larger lens diameters can, in turn, cause larger aberrations in the lenses. In this lens, the front groups were composed of two concave elements and the rear end groups were composed of three converging elements, unlike the conventional composition of two elements, to decrease the radius of curvature of the lens and to minimize possible aberrations in individual lenses. Any aberrations left uncompensated were corrected through the two groups of two cemented lenses arranged across the diaphragm, thereby imparting a very effective configuration to the lens. The lens was rated as excellent in that the increased thickness of the cemented lenses on front of the diaphragm contributed to the elimination of the front-end convex elements in the 28 mm f/3.5 lens, and limited the front-end groups in this lens to only two concave elements. Without this lens construction, the 35 mm f/1.4 lens that accepts a 52 mm attachment size would not have been possible.

PostPosted: Wed Jan 23, 2013 12:21 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

I've got one, an older model. The bad point with it, as all "wide open" lenses, is that contrast is pretty foggy and the impression of a accuracy's lack.

PostPosted: Wed Jan 23, 2013 8:10 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

I'd call it glowy haha.

PostPosted: Fri Jan 25, 2013 3:44 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Lightshow wrote:

Yes, by all means! And if someone forces you to take one, I'll be happy to relieve you of that extreme burden -- just send it on to me! From Bjorn's description:

"This is an excellent lens for low-light and general photography, although the results are not stunning when it is used wide open. Partly this stems from the tendency to internal flare that needs stopping down to f/2-f/2.8 in order to disappear. Its imaging capacity quickly increases when the aperture is set to f/2.8 and peak performance is reached between f/4 and f/5.6. In this quite narrow range it produces tremendously sharp images. To illustrate its imaging potential: In the peak range it is possible to discern objects that actually measure <1 mm within a recorded area of 5 by 8 m. You'll need at least 40X magnification to observe these tiny details on the film, but they certainly are there . This shows the unbelievable level of detail that can be resolved on film by this lens! At f/8, however, performance starts to decline and by f/16 it's just another ordinary lens. Flare isn't usually a problem with it and ghosting is well controlled, too."

PostPosted: Fri Jan 25, 2013 9:52 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Ok, so something weird happened today. I looked at the lens again, and now it's not nearly as noticeable. What would cause this? Does it affect any of your guesses as to what it is?

PostPosted: Sat Jan 26, 2013 12:22 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

flashinm wrote:
Ok, so something weird happened today. I looked at the lens again, and now it's not nearly as noticeable. What would cause this? Does it affect any of your guesses as to what it is?

Maybe side effects of temperature? Should be easy to test.

PostPosted: Sat Jan 26, 2013 1:56 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

Temperature was the only thing I could think of that was different. It was colder today both inside and out. But what that looks like that would be less visible in the cold?

PostPosted: Tue Jan 29, 2013 10:54 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Yes, horrible lens! Send it to me instead! Cool

What you see may be part of the black paint on the edges of elements. I also have its "sister lens" 28/2 and it shows the same thing. Nothing to worry about.

It is in fact a really well built super fast 35, made to survive documentary style work under rough conditions. It also has barrel distortion, unpredictable bokeh, and a lot of glow visible on digital cameras (but its another matter with b/w film). I could not be without mine.

PostPosted: Wed Jan 30, 2013 12:36 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

marzipan wrote:

What you see may be part of the black paint on the edges of elements.

...changing with temperature? Question

PostPosted: Wed Jan 30, 2013 9:37 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

Quote:
...changing with temperature?

Could be! If it isn't adhering so well anymore, the paint layer could expand/contract slightly in different temperatures.
But I guess the only way to prove my theory is to remove the lens elements and renew the paint (which I have done on lenses where the edge paint was completely flaking off - but not on any nikkors though).