Home

Please support mflenses.com if you need any graphic related work order it from us, click on above banner to order!

SearchSearch MemberlistMemberlist RegisterRegister ProfileProfile Log in to check your private messagesLog in to check your private messages Log inLog in

M42 Lens to Nikon FM2 Mount?
View previous topic :: View next topic  

PostPosted: Mon Jul 20, 2009 11:47 am    Post subject: M42 Lens to Nikon FM2 Mount? Reply with quote

Hi, Has anyone tried this kind of adpater for M42 lens to Nikon FM2? Does it work good in infinity focus? Thanks, Mike

http://cgi.ebay.com/ws/eBayISAPI.dll?ViewItem&item=220451559942&ssPageName=ADME:X:RTQ:US:1123

PostPosted: Mon Jul 20, 2009 11:54 am    Post subject: Re: M42 Lens to Nikon FM2 Mount? Reply with quote

djmike wrote:
Hi, Has anyone tried this kind of adpater for M42 lens to Nikon FM2? Does it work good in infinity focus? Thanks, Mike

http://cgi.ebay.com/ws/eBayISAPI.dll?ViewItem&item=220451559942&ssPageName=ADME:X:RTQ:US:1123

Apparently the quality of this type of adapter varies quite a lot. Some people have reported good results, others not. It depends upon the make. I don't recognise the adapter shown in your listing. However there are several threads on this forum where the topic is discussed in more detail. See for example

http://forum.mflenses.com/jupiter-37a-first-outing-t9430.html

PostPosted: Mon Jul 20, 2009 3:21 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Thanks. I have tried to search "kood" or any Japan made but did not find one. Is correction glass needed? Mike

PostPosted: Mon Jul 20, 2009 3:51 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

If I do a search for "kood" on this forum it returns a list of 38 threads. The 1st is this one. The second is relevant. Others are releveant but I don't have time to check them all.

If you want to achieve infinity focus with an M42 lens on a Nikon camera body you will need an adaptor with an optical element. Whether or not this is a good idea is a matter of debate. Different views have been expressed on this forum and elswhere.

PostPosted: Mon Jul 20, 2009 4:11 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

I have an adapter like the one in the picture. Only with the CZJ 135/3.5 I have got any decent results, not with shorter FL lenses. Maybe the simple teles are more compatible with glass adapters.

PostPosted: Mon Jul 20, 2009 6:56 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Gurdie wrote:
Maybe the simple teles are more compatible with glass adapters.

Maybe you are right. I tend to use wides for plant portraits taking a centre crop...

Flektogon 2.4/35 at f/8, adapter, Nikon D60.

which are OK. But I haven't done the brick wall test so I don't know what the edges and corners are like.

PostPosted: Tue Jul 21, 2009 10:51 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

Mark & John, Thanks. I think the photo look is good. Mike

PostPosted: Wed Jul 22, 2009 8:19 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Here´s some brick walls with

1. CZJ 135/3.5 with a M42 brandless glass adapter at f/5.6

2. 100 % center crop

3. 100 % center crop of a Nikkor 135/2.8 shot at f/5.6

4. CZJ with glass adapter wide open

No PP, just resized.

In my opinion, with the CZJ, the quality loss is not so bad, but for a critical shoot I´d still choose the Nikkor.