Home

Please support mflenses.com if you need any graphic related work order it from us, click on above banner to order!

SearchSearch MemberlistMemberlist RegisterRegister ProfileProfile Log in to check your private messagesLog in to check your private messages Log inLog in

Just bought a KMZ Helios 44-2
View previous topic :: View next topic  

PostPosted: Wed Jul 22, 2009 4:00 pm    Post subject: Just bought a KMZ Helios 44-2 Reply with quote

Well, it was in the local charity shop and had been there on my previous 3 trips. Each time, I'd picked it up and then put it down, not really knowing why I was looking at yet another 50ish mm lens and already owning the 44M; each time coming home and regretting not buying it.

This time I bit the bullet and paid the massive sum of 4GBP (it was priced at 3.49GBP) for a lens that I could inspect before buying (not like the auction sites). One thing I didn't notice until I got home was that it had an MMZ logo on the lens cap (what an anorak!).

Have taken a few snaps around the house between the showers an no looking forward to getting some samples of it's bokeh.

Last edited by martinsmith99 on Wed Jul 22, 2009 6:05 pm; edited 1 time in total

PostPosted: Wed Jul 22, 2009 4:10 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

A nice buy at that price Martin - is it the matt, shiny, or zebra version? Wink

PostPosted: Wed Jul 22, 2009 4:21 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

I have 10 0f these damn things. I just can't ever seem to resist! Laughing

PostPosted: Wed Jul 22, 2009 6:04 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Erm...this one Laughing

I may look out for a zebra. Were they manufactured by KMZ?

Shrek> 10?????? Shocked Shocked Shocked Shocked Shocked Shocked

PostPosted: Wed Jul 22, 2009 6:11 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

It's a shiny one! Laughing

Now you just need to find one with a 0 serial number, everyone on MF needs one beginning with a 0 for some reason Laughing

PostPosted: Wed Jul 22, 2009 6:18 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Hi,

this is mine. I´m not the Helios expert, is this the zebra version ?
It has a serial no. beginning with 72...., does this mean production year 1972 ?
Anyway for this price a great lens.

Look here
http://forum.mflenses.com/lunch-today-in-our-sushi-bar-t18717.html

Thanks !

PostPosted: Wed Jul 22, 2009 8:15 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Right both times Rolf 1972 and its a Zebra Very Happy

PostPosted: Wed Jul 22, 2009 8:28 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

My 44-2 is a Zebra just like Rolf's. The number is N90xxxx, but I'm pretty certain it's older than 1990. Do we know the first year number to be used?

PostPosted: Wed Jul 22, 2009 9:20 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Some early MMZ lenses have serial numbers, which don't correspond to the year of production. It's interesting, that second digit of these serial numbers is often zero (e.g. 50xxx, 60xxx etc.)

PostPosted: Thu Jul 23, 2009 6:17 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

Do the MMZ verions look the same as the KMZs?

PostPosted: Thu Jul 23, 2009 7:20 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

Pretty much, No -x has a list of the varants somewhere, including the paint finishes, yours has an MMZ logo on the lens cap Martin, but I can't see if its the same on the lens however the Nxxxx number is usually KMZ Very Happy

PostPosted: Thu Jul 23, 2009 7:28 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

It's a KMZ lens, but MMZ cap.

PostPosted: Thu Jul 23, 2009 8:05 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

Poolhall wrote:
Pretty much, No -x has a list of the varants somewhere, including the paint finishes, yours has an MMZ logo on the lens cap Martin, but I can't see if its the same on the lens however the Nxxxx number is usually KMZ Very Happy

Link is in my signature (3rd row) Smile

The "N" letter is present even on old MMZ 44-2 lenses (44-1 and 44-2 zebra... 44-2 black+white and later models probably doesn't carry the "N" letter).

PostPosted: Thu Jul 23, 2009 12:14 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

I had a look at the list by No-X, but it seems mine is the same as the 2nd version of the MMZ, but the factory logo on it is the KMZ one. The serial number also starts with a N.

PostPosted: Thu Jul 23, 2009 12:21 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

OK, I'll fill it in to the list: KMZ, 71, black + white Smile Thanks.