Home

Please support mflenses.com if you need any graphic related work order it from us, click on above banner to order!

SearchSearch MemberlistMemberlist RegisterRegister ProfileProfile Log in to check your private messagesLog in to check your private messages Log inLog in

Yashica ML 28/2.8 (full frame shots)
View previous topic :: View next topic  

PostPosted: Mon Jul 27, 2009 7:44 am    Post subject: Yashica ML 28/2.8 (full frame shots) Reply with quote

I picked up this lens for just a few dolars to complement my collection of quality wide-angle glass. I was very curious to compare it with my S-M-C Takumar 28/3.5. The Yashica is newer and has 2/3 of a stop faster aperture. The Takumar is one of the best wide-angle primes in M42 mount, and one of the best 28mm I tried so far.

Resolution of the Yashica is superb in the centre, declines to the edges of the frame (full-frame body), and is never great at extreme corners. Compared to 28/3.5 Takumar, it is visibly sharper in the centre (21 MP body shows this quite clearly), but falls off much faster towards the edges. This behavior is persistent at all f-stops from 2.8 to f/8. The Takumar, despite of being a much older design, demonstrates more even resolution across the frame. I would even say that extreme corners are better with the Tak at all respective f-stops!

Colors and contrast are great. The Yashica delivers the 'punch' in producing contrasty pictures that simply stand out. Resistance to flare is also great; I was unable to produce any in field conditions.

Low-light performance is excellent. I used the lens after dusk wide open with very usable results.

Bokeh is to my liking. The lens draws 'swirly' OOF highlights, a quality that I specifically looked for in Yashica 50/1.9. Overall rendering is pleasant.

Vignetting is generally not a problem stopped down to f/4-5.6.

Conclusion? A great wide-angle lens, extremely sharp in the centre, less so at the edges, with great colors and contrast and very nice rendering. Maybe it's not a Zeiss, but a truly great one if worked within its limitations. Interestingly, it produces images that are visibly different from those captured by S-M-C Takumar 28/3.5.

#1: Wide open, bokeh
#2: Wide open, low-light performance

#3: Landscape, f/5.6

#4: Flowers, wide open

#5: Fisherman, wide open

#6, #7: f/8

#12, #13: f/4

#14, f/2.8

Full review at http://www.prime35.com/yashica-ml-28mm-f2-8/

Last edited by aoleg on Tue Oct 06, 2009 2:16 am; edited 1 time in total

PostPosted: Mon Jul 27, 2009 2:00 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Beautiful pictures.
I like my ML 28 very much (and on a crop camera it is great).
#5 is my favorite Very Happy

PostPosted: Mon Jul 27, 2009 2:44 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Great lens and great shots. I pick#3.

PostPosted: Mon Jul 27, 2009 5:02 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

What camera was that ?

PostPosted: Mon Jul 27, 2009 6:41 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

luisalegria wrote:
What camera was that ?

It's Canon EOS 5DmkII.

PostPosted: Mon Jul 27, 2009 8:38 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

MF-addicted wrote:
Beautiful pictures.
I like my ML 28 very much (and on a crop camera it is great).

Thank you Smile

On a crop camera, extreme borders are cut out, so you are truly getting the sweetest spot of this lens. In the centre, it's better than excellent - I haven't seen sharper 28mm wide angles so far. I think I'll continue looking for bargain ML glass. For this one I paid about $20, but it is an excellent lens regardless of the price.

PostPosted: Wed Jul 29, 2009 1:21 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

You got it at a very good price. It's a very nice lens. I like mine too and it has become my daughter's favorite 28mm fl.

I have been searching for other Y-ML too, specifically the 24mm and 100mm Macro. they do not appear on the bay as often and price are always on the high side when they are around.

And I like the sample pics here.

PostPosted: Wed Jul 29, 2009 1:33 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

#6 for me. I must pull mine out again, I don't remember results this good. It may well be the the 5MkII pulls more from it.

patrickh

PostPosted: Wed Jul 29, 2009 9:51 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Glorious! My kind of pictures, all of them.