Home

Please support mflenses.com if you need any graphic related work order it from us, click on above banner to order!

SearchSearch MemberlistMemberlist RegisterRegister ProfileProfile Log in to check your private messagesLog in to check your private messages Log inLog in

Manual Lens 28, 50, 85, 135, 200+ m42 for video use
View previous topic :: View next topic  

PostPosted: Sun Jul 19, 2009 1:08 pm    Post subject: Manual Lens 28, 50, 85, 135, 200+ m42 for video use Reply with quote

Right as this is my first thread i suppose i should explain a little about myself and my needs.

I come from a television back ground rather than a stills back ground and so whilst i understand the fundamental principles of lenses and the way they work I'm not up to speed with stills lenses.

I recently invested some money in a DOF adapter to enable me to use stills lens (preferably prime lenses) on my Panasonic video camera. At the moment i am using an m42 adapter as lenses seems cheap. However i do realise good lenses usually cost!

So can anyone advise me on some good but reasonable priced lens to start having a look at? For the use with the depth of feel adaptor its best to get a good quality lens i.e. low f stop, i dont want to go above f5. Im currently using a Pentacon 1.8/50 and getting some great results but I'm want to start buying the right lenses, for keeps.

So can anyone advise me on some good 50mm, 85mm, 135mm and 200+mm lenses to start having a look at and advise me on what i can expect to pay for the lenses?

Cheers Andy

PostPosted: Sun Jul 19, 2009 1:27 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Some good and cheap lenses:

Takumar 50/1.4 ~70€
Jupiter-9 85/2 ~70€
Tair-11A 135/2.8 ~70€
Jupiter-21M 200/4 ~70€

PostPosted: Sun Jul 19, 2009 3:41 pm    Post subject: Wow, I want to know more... Reply with quote

Andy, I did not know you could do that with a Panasonic video camera.

Could you tell me what model the Panasonic is, and where you get the adaptor needed?

It is a very good list that Riku put together. I have all 4 and they are excellent lenses for the money.
I would also include the Helios 44M 58mmF2 (with the A/M switch)

The other lens that I would love to try on a video camera because of it's very different 'out of focus area' look would be
the Meyer Optik Trioplan 100mm 2.8.
It might be an amazing look on HD video.

PostPosted: Sun Jul 19, 2009 4:59 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Hey thanks for the list so far!

I have a Brevis35 adapter made by Cinevate, tho there are a fair few manufactures out there making adapters: Redrock, Letus and Cinevate are probably the 3 biggest names in the industry at the moment.

My camera is a Panasonic AG-HPX170 P2 HD solid state camera. Its a great little camera with a Leica fixed lens, equivalent to a 35mm film lens. but having the adapter makes it all a little more exciting and fun to play with.

Cheers Andy

PostPosted: Sun Jul 19, 2009 11:58 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Can you remove the Leica fixed lens?? Otherwise, I don't see how you can use any of the other lenses, unless the adapter is an optical adapter as well.

PostPosted: Mon Jul 20, 2009 3:45 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

dnas wrote:
Can you remove the Leica fixed lens?? Otherwise, I don't see how you can use any of the other lenses, unless the adapter is an optical adapter as well.

no need to remove the lens.
The Brevis is quite a complex and pricey adapter, see: http://www.eventdv.net/Articles/Editorial/In-the-Field/In-the-Field-Cinevate-Brevis-35-50035.htm resp. http://www.cinevate.com/catalog/index.php?cPath=21&osCsid=b7e78236a830fffa6b8c15f60cfb2c35

I actually have been thinking that a dSLR with movie mode could be the better choice?