Home

Please support mflenses.com if you need any graphic related work order it from us, click on above banner to order!

SearchSearch MemberlistMemberlist RegisterRegister ProfileProfile Log in to check your private messagesLog in to check your private messages Log inLog in

Nikon Series E 50mm f1.8
View previous topic :: View next topic  

PostPosted: Tue Jul 21, 2009 7:15 am    Post subject: Nikon Series E 50mm f1.8 Reply with quote

I really needed a 50mm 1.8 so I got the Nikon Series E 50mm f1.8 on ebay because it was pretty cheap at $30. Its a pretty decent lens and very sharp. The one thing I'm not so sure about is the bokeh which seems to be a little distracting but maybe it is just when its shot at f1.8.

The other day I went to a thrift store and found a mamiya 55mm f1.8 m42 lens for $15 and i'm just waiting for my m42 adapter to arrive to try it out and see if I like the bokeh any more. I'll probably keep the nikon even if I like the mamiya better though because i don't have a real macro lens yet and I have some nikon extention tubes.

Below are a couple images I took with the nikon lens today. The second picture is a %100 crop of the first one taken at f8 I believe and you can see its actually a pretty sharp lens. The third one is to show the bokeh that I'm not sure if I like. These were shot with a canon 40d using a nikon adapter.

PostPosted: Tue Jul 21, 2009 8:21 am    Post subject: Bokeh Reply with quote

I like the pic of the dog - just look a the expression on his/her face! As to the OoFA/Bokeh question, don't you think it really comes down to what you like personally? Maybe that's a great reason ( = excuse) to own a variety of lenses because individual ones perform differently at various apertures, distances and 'target material'. Well, that's what I tell my wife when she asks why I 'need' so many 50/90/135 /200/etc etc lenses that all produce crisp IN FOCUS images ...!

PostPosted: Tue Jul 21, 2009 8:38 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

When my wife asks why I need so many lenses that all seem the same, I tell her it's for the same reason that she needs thirty pairs of shoes and six different shades of navy. It's a conversation that always ends with me quarantined in the dog house and twenty-four hours of ice-cold atmosphere when released, but I think I make my point.

PostPosted: Tue Jul 21, 2009 11:17 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

Look great. Can anyone advise the difference between "Series E" and "AI" versions?

PostPosted: Tue Jul 21, 2009 1:33 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

alex wrote:
When my wife asks why I need so many lenses that all seem the same, I tell her it's for the same reason that she needs thirty pairs of shoes and six different shades of navy. It's a conversation that always ends with me quarantined in the dog house and twenty-four hours of ice-cold atmosphere when released, but I think I make my point.

Your poor wife has only THIRTY pairs of shoes - how do you manage to keep the female shoe-buying impulse in check? Shocked

PostPosted: Tue Jul 21, 2009 1:51 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

djmike wrote:
Look great. Can anyone advise the difference between "Series E" and "AI" versions?

Visit Ken Rockwell's site to see pictures. Ken suggests that the Ai is better than the E (at least two versions). I think that most people would agree.

I remember reading a thread on nikongear.com where most (all ?) of the 1.8/50 s were discussed - but I can't find it. I think the conclusion was that the Ai was the best of all. But for $30 the E has to be good.

PostPosted: Tue Jul 21, 2009 3:48 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

djmike wrote:

Series E lenses were a lower cost line that used less metal and more plastic
in their construction. They are MF lenses with AIS type mount.

PostPosted: Tue Jul 21, 2009 4:03 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Thanks, both. I learned that the material constrcution and the price is different but has anyone does comparison with these two?

PostPosted: Tue Jul 21, 2009 10:05 pm    Post subject: Re: Bokeh Reply with quote

scsambrook wrote:
I like the pic of the dog - just look a the expression on his/her face! As to the OoFA/Bokeh question, don't you think it really comes down to what you like personally? Maybe that's a great reason ( = excuse) to own a variety of lenses because individual ones perform differently at various apertures, distances and 'target material'. Well, that's what I tell my wife when she asks why I 'need' so many 50/90/135 /200/etc etc lenses that all produce crisp IN FOCUS images ...!

I agree. I can't wait to get my m42 adapter to try out my mamiya 55mm 1.8.

PostPosted: Tue Jul 21, 2009 11:57 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

dof wrote:
djmike wrote:

They also don't have multicoating on all elements, so they tend to flare more and have lower contrast.

PostPosted: Wed Jul 22, 2009 3:37 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

ChrisLilley wrote:
dof wrote:
djmike wrote:

They also don't have multicoating on all elements, so they tend to flare more and have lower contrast.

Got it. Thanks.