Home

Please support mflenses.com if you need any graphic related work order it from us, click on above banner to order!

SearchSearch MemberlistMemberlist RegisterRegister ProfileProfile Log in to check your private messagesLog in to check your private messages Log inLog in

Can I adapt an Asahi Super Tak 50mm f1.4 for my Canon 5D Mk2
View previous topic :: View next topic  

PostPosted: Wed Jul 15, 2009 12:49 pm    Post subject: Can I adapt an Asahi Super Tak 50mm f1.4 for my Canon 5D Mk2 Reply with quote

Until this morning I was really excited about the pending arrival of an Asahi Super Takumar SMC 50mm f1.4 as I've loved the shots I've seen from other people and the positive posts placed around it's quality.

Now I'm depressed.

Can anyone help me understand how/if I can adapt this for my 5D Mk2 so it doesn't hit the mirror at infinity focus?

Do I just hold it and hack the back with a file?

Scared for the lens but more for the 5D I re-mortgaged for.

Any help would be gratefully received.

PostPosted: Wed Jul 15, 2009 1:41 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

My super takumar 50mm f/1.4 works fine on my 5DMII. I have used two different adapters with it and had no problems with either.

PostPosted: Wed Jul 15, 2009 1:48 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

My mood is slightly improved by your response.

Thank you for this glimmer of hope, I'll report back when this arrives in a day or two.

I'm getting varying conflicting responses on the forums I've posted this on that suggest the gap between the back of the lens and the mirror may be down to such a small tolerance that it's the precise thickness of the adaptor that makes or breaks this.

Wil let you know the outcome. Fingers crossed and thanks againfor the response.
P

PostPosted: Wed Jul 15, 2009 2:07 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

That's easy find thru aution website by searching "M42 adapter". I have one and have no issue with SMC Taks 50/1.4, a very good lens.

PostPosted: Wed Jul 15, 2009 2:14 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Tnxn Mike (or is it DJ ?)

Seems to just be an issue with Full frame DSLRs rather than crop framed

I've got two M42 adaptors at home, one which has the Focus confirm contact poiints and has a flange to hold in the auto-pin at the back of the lens, and one without, so hopefully one of them will do the trick.

Stay Tuned Smile

P

PostPosted: Wed Jul 15, 2009 3:19 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

The 5D (classic, not mkii) mirror hits Super-, S-M-C, and SMC 50/1.4

5DMKII mirror reportedly does not! Smile

PostPosted: Wed Jul 15, 2009 3:41 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Quick Quck !!

Where's this report !! ???

Haven't been this nervously excited since being promised a snog behind the squash court aged 13.

Lens shoudl arrive tomorrow, will post results.

p

PostPosted: Wed Jul 15, 2009 5:53 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Remember, the Super Tak will outlast any dSLR body on the market. Laughing

PostPosted: Wed Jul 15, 2009 6:31 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

there's the focus screen issue with fast lenses:

http://www.jayandwanda.com/photography/dslr_man_focus/man_focus.html

On my 5D (classic) I find the Ee-S screen essential for accurately focusing lenses faster than 1:3.5

BTW, I still use the Taks on 5D (classic), just not near infinity focus.

PostPosted: Wed Jul 15, 2009 7:03 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

My Super tak clears fine.
The SMC did not clear the mirror. Now my mirror is shaved and there is no problems (original Fiver .......not MII)

PostPosted: Thu Jul 16, 2009 12:03 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

What I do with any screw mount adapter is check it on the lens before mounting it on the camera. I also check the mount by itself on the body with no lenses. That helps verify that there will be no issues with the mirror or anything else in the camera whacking something. In fact it is an advantage because you can't do that with a screw mount body. For example, there are certain lenses that are problematic on Pentax ES, ES II and Spot F. The Super Tak 50mm f1.4 and 55mm f1.8 are mention in the Pentax manual for example but what about lenses from the Mamiya SX series.

PostPosted: Thu Jul 16, 2009 12:24 am    Post subject: Re: Can I adapt an Asahi Super Tak 50mm f1.4 for my Canon 5D Reply with quote

FLashard66 wrote:
Do I just hold it and hack the back with a file?

Scared for the lens ....

Reading this filled me with pain. Sad