Home

Please support mflenses.com if you need any graphic related work order it from us, click on above banner to order!

SearchSearch MemberlistMemberlist RegisterRegister ProfileProfile Log in to check your private messagesLog in to check your private messages Log inLog in

Pentacon 29mm extreme blurriness in corners
View previous topic :: View next topic  

PostPosted: Wed Oct 31, 2012 6:52 am    Post subject: Pentacon 29mm extreme blurriness in corners Reply with quote

Hi!

So I have this Pentacon 29mm 2.8 M42. It looks like new, glasses are clear. I posted this sample already to Digital Gallery but I think this belong to here.
Is this normal behavior in full frame. Sample from center to right corner. I've never seen nothing like this before! I think I'll sell this lens to someone with cropped sensor 1.6.

PostPosted: Wed Oct 31, 2012 7:11 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

something must be wrong with your lens or its just a really bad design, that looks horrible.

PostPosted: Wed Oct 31, 2012 7:39 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

A loose or decentered element.

PostPosted: Wed Oct 31, 2012 7:41 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

Thanks! So in theory this can be fixed?

PostPosted: Wed Oct 31, 2012 7:45 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

It is possible. If an element is loose it may be as simple as tightening the retaining ring down. But that's just one of several possibilities that could cause the effect shown in your photo.

PostPosted: Wed Oct 31, 2012 7:47 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

I use the same lens on my A33 APS-C. Never seen anything like it.

PostPosted: Wed Oct 31, 2012 8:55 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

Opened the lens, everything seems to be ok. I also centered the rear element, corners are still blur.

Here are examples after centering (or at least I tried something Smile )

Does anyone have full frame and this lens that could test if this lens is unusable in full frame.

PostPosted: Wed Oct 31, 2012 8:59 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

There is obviously something wrong with the placement of the glass elements.

I had the exactly same effect when I had disassembled my Zuiko 50-90mm f/3.5 to clean it and mislpaced one element (turned it upside-down).

PostPosted: Wed Oct 31, 2012 9:02 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

So I have to dig deeper than rear element?

PostPosted: Wed Oct 31, 2012 9:03 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

Agree with dsmlogger - one of the elements may be reversed.

I once experimented with old Tamron adapt-a-matic 28mm lens by reversing one of the elements in the rear group.
It drastically changed the field curvature of the lens (in my case).

PostPosted: Wed Oct 31, 2012 9:22 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

The rear elements can only be assembled one way. Now the right corner is blurrer than left when dissambled the lens and assembled it again. It looks like this lens is never been disambled earlier, no scratches in srews...

PostPosted: Wed Oct 31, 2012 9:34 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

This lens is normally great on full frame. If it weren't they wouldn't have sold so many of them for so long. You can probably find tons of examples on flickr if you look.

PostPosted: Wed Oct 31, 2012 11:01 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

I have already noticed this problem, and I'm with an APS-C camera.
I own two different copies : the first one is the common Pentacon Auto 29mm f/2.8 Multi Coated and the latter is a one that says "Made in GDR" on the front, has a button to test the DOF (not to be confused with a Manu/Auto switch) and with orange ink for some letters (focus distance if my memory is OK).

Both lenses show the same effect on APS-C and stopping them down does not change things a lot. This defect is less pronounced on the "Made In GDR" copy than the "Multi Coated" one.

PostPosted: Wed Oct 31, 2012 11:19 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

I never noticed anything similar in mine, both on film and aps-c.

Here's a pic I shot with my sony nex to try the adapter when i got it:

And here's a top right corner 100% crop

The pic sucks, ok, but the corner sharpness looks at least decent to me.
I have no film scans, but I'd say it never looked really bad on corners.

Mine is Pentacon Auto Multi Coating version.

PostPosted: Wed Oct 31, 2012 11:42 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

I have now disambled the whole lens and assembled it again. No change. Left corner is sharp but right is very soft. I keep trying
I found this topic: http://forum.mflenses.com/pentacon-29mm-2-8-why-are-one-border-unsharp-t7580.html Smile

PostPosted: Wed Oct 31, 2012 12:06 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

I tried to make corners sharp and I did. When I focus to corners, center is unsharp. Field curvature?

PostPosted: Wed Oct 31, 2012 12:26 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Perhaps a group was cemented together off center. Confused

If any element "looks" the same both forwards and backwards you might try it both ways just in case too.

PostPosted: Wed Oct 31, 2012 12:32 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

I have now disambled and assembled the lens maybe 8 times. There was one glass that looked the same both sides and yes I tried to put it both ways. No difference. Everything is centered and locked like they should be.
Well it was great learning lesson, I've never dissambled a lens earlier. There must be something wrong that I cannot fix. I'll buy the Takumar 28mm instead I think and sell this one or give it to someone.

Thank you all very much for your comments and help!!!

PostPosted: Wed Oct 31, 2012 4:01 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

It could be fun for some "toy camera" type shots. Wink

PostPosted: Wed Oct 31, 2012 4:33 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Something wrong for sure with this copy, sadly.

PostPosted: Wed Oct 31, 2012 5:04 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

mikkokan wrote:
I have now disambled and assembled the lens maybe 8 times. There was one glass that looked the same both sides and yes I tried to put it both ways. No difference. Everything is centered and locked like they should be.
Well it was great learning lesson, I've never dissambled a lens earlier. There must be something wrong that I cannot fix. I'll buy the Takumar 28mm instead I think and sell this one or give it to someone.

If you want, I am selling my Pentacon.

Anyway, if you plan to get the takumar, you will probably get a better lens than a good pentacon.

PostPosted: Wed Oct 31, 2012 5:23 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

mikkokan wrote:

Did you adjust three screws holding rear system? The concept is just like in later version. Photos here: http://forum.mflenses.com/viewtopic.php?t=48467

PostPosted: Wed Oct 31, 2012 6:11 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Yes I did, four times, no change.

PostPosted: Wed Oct 31, 2012 6:15 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Some lenses around end of communism was assembled by kids as vacation work Smile Meyer Domiplan and Pentacon 29mm surely , due lot of crap come to second hand market and only a few are good.

PostPosted: Wed Oct 31, 2012 8:28 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

whatever you do, dont sell it. you'll just make someone very mad.