Home

Please support mflenses.com if you need any graphic related work order it from us, click on above banner to order!

SearchSearch MemberlistMemberlist RegisterRegister ProfileProfile Log in to check your private messagesLog in to check your private messages Log inLog in

Soligor 500 Catadioptric/Mirror = 2 questions
View previous topic :: View next topic  

PostPosted: Wed Oct 31, 2012 8:27 pm    Post subject: Soligor 500 Catadioptric/Mirror = 2 questions Reply with quote

So, I just received this nearly pristine set in the post today:

Complete with 2X and 4X ND filters, matched 2X teleconverter, matched aluminum hood,
original fitted leatherette cases, original aluminum front cap... A very nice set, to be sure! Very Happy
Weather here is terrible due to Sandy's outlying fallout, so no samples just yet. Sad

Anyways, I have 2 questions for our resident experts about this gear:

1. Can anyone identify the actual maker and approximate age of this lens?
Serial # 5817017, it is of all-metal construction. It appears to be of much newer manufacture
than my Tokina-made 400/6.3 and 75-260 zoom Soligors, sporting a shinier finish and a rubber
focus-ring grip instead of knurled/fluted metal.

2. Which mount is this likely to be?
It seems the same diameter as M42, but the threads are finer. My first thought is M39,
but I think that's probably wrong. A soft-plastic non-threaded M42 cap fits this just like
on an M42, so I'm reasonably certain the diameter is the same. I have only M42 adapters to try,
the result being that the threads begin to mate, but bind after just about one-third of a turn
due to the thread mismatch.

Many thanks to anyone who points me in the right direction!

PostPosted: Wed Oct 31, 2012 9:45 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

I've no idea who made the lens, but the mount is T2. As you observed, same diameter as M42 but finer pitch. Registration distance is larger though, so you need a dedicated adapter. Very easy to get to T2 to just about anything.

Mark

PostPosted: Thu Nov 01, 2012 1:21 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

Heh, that TC looks like the Spiratone I sold recently:

PostPosted: Thu Nov 01, 2012 1:45 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

SXR_Mark wrote:
...the mount is T2. As you observed, same diameter as M42 but finer pitch. Registration distance is larger though, so you need a dedicated adapter. Very easy to get to T2 to just about anything.

Mark
Thanks, Mark. You've verified what I was able to find out since my original post.
Plenty of T2-to-EOS adapters to be found on eBay for under US $5 shipped, so I'll probably grab a couple.

visualopsins wrote:
Heh, that TC looks like the Spiratone I sold recently
Indeed it does, just like the Spiratone set I found, much like the matched set I received: Click here to see on Ebay
The finishes are a bit different, and I don't know if it's earlier or later than my Soligor,
but it seems safe now to say that both my Soligor and the Spiratone shown were made by the same manufacturer.

I am now even more curious to find out who made it. Wink

PostPosted: Thu Nov 01, 2012 3:37 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

Hi Craig,
Have a read of this post ,it may help identify who made your lens... THE BIG SOLIGOR THREAD I only put it in capitals to show it is a link...I am not shouting at you... Laughing

PostPosted: Thu Nov 01, 2012 4:12 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

mo wrote:
I am not shouting at you... Laughing
I'm quite certain of your "non-shouting" stance, Moira. Wink

Thanks much for the Soligor link; it's one I was not aware of.
Looks like I'll have to contribute to it with photos and contribution quotes from others,
and try to determine if I've had a couple of Tokina or other lenses.
I was readily assured by a couple of people that my lenses were Tokina-made,
but I really don't have the wherewithall right now to make attempts to verify the claims. Wink
I'll come back to this thread later with more.

For right now, I'm very tired, and lacking sleep, so I'll thank all of you for contributing, while I assemble
my meager collection for proper photographic evidence to be posted at a later time. Cool

PostPosted: Thu Nov 01, 2012 6:52 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

I was being careful... Very Happy I look forward to your samples from this lens, the C/D I think means computer designed and should men the lens is a cut above the rest of the Soligor line.I will see what your research uncovers.

PostPosted: Thu Nov 01, 2012 2:56 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Probably made by Sigma, Soligor did market some nice lens C/D marked lenses are usually good enough to use. Look forward your results! Congrats for your 'new' lens.

PostPosted: Sat Nov 03, 2012 2:33 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

Attila wrote:
Probably made by Sigma, Soligor did market some nice lens C/D marked lenses are usually good enough to use.
Thanks for your input, Attila. I appreciate it.
Could anyone else verify or disprove Attila's suggestion of a Sigma manufacture?
If it's true, I'm okay with it, as my former Sigma 10-20 AF lens was really a nice bit of glass,
and far more modern.

Sadly, "SuperStorm" Sandy seems to have delayed shipment of the T2 adapters I purchased,
so I'll be waiting several more days before I can offer samples through this lens.
Sandy is also(probably) delaying shipment of an A/C adapter for my 50D,
so I'm still waiting on trying out true timelapse video with Magic Lantern! Confused

PostPosted: Sat Nov 03, 2012 2:45 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

m42 by 0.75mm pitch was used for tmounts. Just get a tmount to Eos adapter and you should be good to go.

PostPosted: Sat Nov 03, 2012 2:55 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

Thanks, JC.
You may have missed a few comments above, so I'll invite you to review them.