Home

Please support mflenses.com if you need any graphic related work order it from us, click on above banner to order!

SearchSearch MemberlistMemberlist RegisterRegister ProfileProfile Log in to check your private messagesLog in to check your private messages Log inLog in

WW2: Battle for C. Budejovice
View previous topic :: View next topic  

PostPosted: Sun May 17, 2009 12:50 pm    Post subject: WW2: Battle for C. Budejovice Reply with quote

Here are some pictures taken at yesterdays inscenation of WW2 battle.

Synopsis: Wehrmacht troops are returning to local barracks. They are attacked by Czech civilians (fails) and later by US army. US troops breaches defence, takes some captives, but they are beaten by the returned Wehrmacht troops. Wehrmacht commander is comming to the battle field and decides on the destiny of surviving soldiers and US army vehicles. They are surprised by approaching CCCP army and their T34 battle tank, which reverses balance of forces in a few minutes. Despite the tank gets hit in last minutes of the battle by one of the last Wehrmacht soldiers, CCCP infantry comes and barracks are captured.

battle: Lanthar 125/2.5 (f/2.5-f/5)
tank close-up details: Distagon 25/2.8
gas-mask: Macro Prakticar 55/2.8

Weather wasn't good - rain at beginning, overcast later, sunny at the end of performance.

PostPosted: Sun May 17, 2009 1:13 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Great pictures. Thanks for sharing these.

My fave is 17, love the composition.

PostPosted: Sun May 17, 2009 1:26 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Shocked This look like so much fun.... 16 and 17 of that SS officer are quite menacing. He really looks like he has some evil intent. Well done

PostPosted: Sun May 17, 2009 3:26 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Very intresting report!
I'm intrested in modern war history.
Some of the pics are very good too, e.g close ups of the russian soldiers.

Great work and thanks for sharing.

PostPosted: Sun May 17, 2009 3:30 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Really great examples !

BUT I am just wondering why do people make inscenations of WW2 battles ??? ...

Cheers
Tobias

PostPosted: Sun May 17, 2009 3:32 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

No 5 that guy is carrying a hell of a machine gun Very Happy I'm glad its not me Shocked Nice set of captures and some well preserved equipment but I'm surprised there was no Hetzer there!

PostPosted: Sun May 17, 2009 3:33 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

interesting reportage, thanks for sharing!

PostPosted: Sun May 17, 2009 3:50 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Phenomenal set, thanks for posting them up Shocked

I have never seen a battle re-enactment like this, it would be interesting to photograph on black and white film and print on bromide paper to see if it indistinguishable from a real battle.

Great work, really impressive Cool

PostPosted: Sun May 17, 2009 3:50 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Thanks to all Smile

conor12 wrote:
Shocked This look like so much fun.... 16 and 17 of that SS officer are quite menacing. He really looks like he has some evil intent.

They were killing injured US soldiers…
tobbsman wrote:
BUT I am just wondering why do people make inscenations of WW2 battles ??? ...

I think reasons are the same, why people make movies about it. Entertainment, or to remind people, how it was horrible.

PostPosted: Sun May 17, 2009 4:04 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

SS officer was impressive , well done captures!

PostPosted: Sun May 17, 2009 4:31 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

GrahamNR17 wrote:

I have never seen a battle re-enactment like this, it would be interesting to photograph on black and white film and print on bromide paper to see if it indistinguishable from a real battle.

Definitely agree! Would have loved to be there to see this re-enactment. The whole time I was looking at the pics (aside from the modern glasses and hair/facial hair) it looked straight out of the 40s. Using some period-correct camera equipment (although probably shorter focal length and slower to use) would have been fantastic Smile

In the US, people do Civil War re-enactments...mostly in the south at places like Gettysburg where the battle was most fierce. It's a hobby for some people...get dressed up with 1860s gear and go "act" out a battle for a weekend.

PostPosted: Sun May 17, 2009 6:07 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Wonderful set - I can't believe how much equipment seems to have survived

patrickh

PostPosted: Tue May 19, 2009 7:29 pm    Post subject: Re-enactment Reply with quote

GrahamNR17 wrote:

Now there's a challenge - you'd need either a Contax or a Leica with uncoated lens (or a Super Ikonta or a Rollei) with some coarsely grained film (by today's standards) and a soft working developer to begin to get the authentic "flavour" in the negs. Plus some missed focus shots, some camera shake and maybe a bit of edge fogging if it's a roll film camera. But even then, the faces would give it away ... not easy to get healthy having-fun re-enactors to show the expressions of men who are tired, hungry and stressed-out for fear of their lives. Which I suppose adds further to the challenge ...

PostPosted: Tue May 19, 2009 9:20 pm    Post subject: Re: Re-enactment Reply with quote

scsambrook wrote:
GrahamNR17 wrote:

Now there's a challenge - you'd need either a Contax or a Leica with uncoated lens (or a Super Ikonta or a Rollei) with some coarsely grained film (by today's standards) and a soft working developer to begin to get the authentic "flavour" in the negs. Plus some missed focus shots, some camera shake and maybe a bit of edge fogging if it's a roll film camera. But even then, the faces would give it away ... not easy to get healthy having-fun re-enactors to show the expressions of men who are tired, hungry and stressed-out for fear of their lives. Which I suppose adds further to the challenge ...

Not at all, film wasn't poor in the 1940s, it was really very good. Thin emulsion films date from the 1930s, and then came back again with Ilford Delta/T-Max. Fine grain was infinitely easy to achieve back then. In fact, Adox CHS25/50 (Efke) films date from this technology. Thin emulsions with fine grain gave rise to superb developers like Stoeckler's formula and the legendary Buetler.

I think we assume grain because most of the photos we see from that period were printed in books and magazines of the era, and printing technology didn't do a really good job of mono photos until the 80s (at least in mags and newspapers). Actual prints from that era are as beautiful as anything you see today, even from 35mm.

However, lens coatings have made a huge difference to contrast and clarity as you have suggested. I am currently working on a little project which I will ask for your feedback on quite soon. I am using 1930s camera technology with film technology of that era with developers used at that time to achieve small grain and wide tonal ranges.

I think you are right about the human aspect too. War weary men would look so much different. You can't fake the horror they experienced.

But I have hijacked the thread, sorry about that Embarassed

PostPosted: Sun Jul 05, 2009 8:33 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

I didn't noticed this thread when it was first published. Nice report.
About the uncoated lenses... during WWII, as far as I know, most lenses were already coated. Those of the army, for sure. Perhaps also commercial ones.