Home

Please support mflenses.com if you need any graphic related work order it from us, click on above banner to order!

SearchSearch MemberlistMemberlist RegisterRegister ProfileProfile Log in to check your private messagesLog in to check your private messages Log inLog in

Recommendation for filter users
View previous topic :: View next topic  

PostPosted: Sun Jun 21, 2009 4:47 pm    Post subject: Recommendation for filter users Reply with quote

I figured I'd offer this quick advice for forum members that still use filters: Check and tighten the retaining rings if you have access to a spanner wrench. I always thought filters were the simplest thing in the world; just make sure they're clean and you're in business. But out of curiosity I decided to go through my sets of KMZ filters with spanner wrench in hand. I found that I could significantly tighten all but 2 of the 9 retaining rings.

What could this mean for your photos? Slightly misaligned filter glass can unevenly affect the IQ. By ensuring that the ring is tight, the filter is likely to lay as flat as factory tolerances made it.

~Marc

PostPosted: Tue Jun 30, 2009 10:35 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Hi Marc,

Thanks for the hint ... I'm one of those filters users, and, although having a spanner wrench (bought from Alex, of course Wink ) for fixing some of my lenses, i never thought about fixing the filters ... And yes, i had 4 filters in my set with un-tightened retaining rings ...

Cheers

PostPosted: Thu Jul 02, 2009 5:06 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

I have all my lens protected by filters. Yes, yes, I know some will not user filters. Any way, it has never occur to me using a spannar wrench to tighten or untighten the filters. I always use my hand to do that.

PostPosted: Thu Jul 02, 2009 2:22 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

my_photography wrote:
I have all my lens protected by filters. Yes, yes, I know some will not user filters. Any way, it has never occur to me using a spannar wrench to tighten or untighten the filters. I always use my hand to do that.

Not to tighten filter onto lens, but to tighten filter glass to filter ring...