Home

Please support mflenses.com if you need any graphic related work order it from us, click on above banner to order!

SearchSearch MemberlistMemberlist RegisterRegister ProfileProfile Log in to check your private messagesLog in to check your private messages Log inLog in

Weston Master III - units and ISO equivalence (Help needed)
View previous topic :: View next topic  

PostPosted: Sat Jun 27, 2009 2:09 pm    Post subject: Weston Master III - units and ISO equivalence (Help needed) Reply with quote

I've been able of fixing a couple of nice Weston Master III light meters. Both show the same behaviour in front of a light source, but when trying to get them out to use, I found they aren't calibrated in ISO/ASA units but in Weston units.

Some places in the net say the equivalence is applying 1/3 stop lower (i.e. if you are using ISO 100 film, apply 80 on the Weston).

Other places say: "Film speeds have doubled since this meter was made, so it will overexpose if used at 4/5's of the recommended film speed ie 80 Weston = 100 ISO. You must divide by 5 and multiply by 8 to get the true figure, so 160 Weston = 100 ISO".

Anyone else having a Weston Master could shed me some light?.

Thanks in advance.

Jes.

PostPosted: Sat Jun 27, 2009 3:45 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Send a mail to John, he will know.

PostPosted: Sat Jun 27, 2009 5:15 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Quote:
I've been able of fixing a couple of nice Weston Master III light meters. Both show the same behaviour in front of a light source, but when trying to get them out to use, I found they aren't calibrated in ISO/ASA units but in Weston units.

Some places in the net say the equivalence is applying 1/3 stop lower (i.e. if you are using ISO 100 film, apply 80 on the Weston).

Other places say: "Film speeds have doubled since this meter was made, so it will overexpose if used at 4/5's of the recommended film speed ie 80 Weston = 100 ISO. You must divide by 5 and multiply by 8 to get the true figure, so 160 Weston = 100 ISO".

Anyone else having a Weston Master could shed me some light?.

I think you were refering to an old thread in Photo.net

I use both a Weston II which has the Weston scale and the Weston Master V which has the ASA scale. This 0.8 conversion works well for me and it gives consistent results as compared to the Master V.

Hope this helps.

PostPosted: Sat Jun 27, 2009 5:48 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

I have Weston III. I use Weston 80 = ISO 100. Weston III meter readings agree with meter readings on several cameras...Weston III manual says use Weston 80 for ISO 100 film...

PostPosted: Sat Jun 27, 2009 7:33 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Thanks a lot colleagues, I'll be using the 80 to 100 ratio!.

Regards,

Jes.

PostPosted: Sat Jun 27, 2009 7:34 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Yep, that's correct. 0.8 x ASA = Weston Units.

I wasn't around at the time of the change Embarassed

PostPosted: Sun Jun 28, 2009 5:54 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

GrahamNR17 wrote:
Yep, that's correct. 0.8 x ASA = Weston Units.

I wasn't around at the time of the change Embarassed

Thanks, Graham!.

I'm just learning how to use it. It seems quite complicate at the beginning with so many dials...

Regards,
Jes.