Home

Please support mflenses.com if you need any graphic related work order it from us, click on above banner to order!

SearchSearch MemberlistMemberlist RegisterRegister ProfileProfile Log in to check your private messagesLog in to check your private messages Log inLog in

Vivitar 105mm f/2.5 Macro with Ring Lite
View previous topic :: View next topic  

PostPosted: Wed Feb 17, 2010 4:55 am    Post subject: Vivitar 105mm f/2.5 Macro with Ring Lite Reply with quote

I mentioned in another thread here a few days ago that I had come across one of these Vivitar 105mm f/2.5 macro lenses, s/n beginning with 22 -- aka Kiron, aka Dine -- that many folks seem to be so enthusiastic about. Well, after about a week of debating whether or not I should add it to my collection, I gave in to the syndrome and bought it.

This particular lens was part of a dental kit that originally included a Nikon N60 35mm SLR and a Yuzo flash which has both a ring and a straight strobe. The flash came with an interchangeable module for Nikon TTL. The company that distributed this outfit was PhotoMed International of Van Nuys, CA. The lens and flash came with a slim manual from PhotoMed, which explains how to operate the outfit.

After doing a bit of research, I was able to determine that the Nikon N60 was produced from September, 1998 until May, 2001. So, this means that this outfit was sold sometime between these dates. I was a bit surprised by this because I didn't think that the Vivitar 105/2.5 was still being made that late. I also found a .pdf copy of the Yuzo manual (this flash is found under the Dine brand name also) at the butkis manual site. After reading through the .pdf, it became pretty obvious that this flash is intended most specifically for medical photography. It is of rather limited usefulness for close macro work if one does not have the proper TTL module (they were available for Canon, Minolta, Nikon, Olympus, and Pentax). I would like to find a Canon module for this flash, but even if I did find one, it's probably not the one I would need for my DSLR. Canon has had three different TTL technologies that I'm aware of: that found on the T90, that used with EOS 35mm cameras (like the 420EZ), and that used with the EOS DSLRs (like the 430 EX and EX II). Chances are, the Canon module for this flash is for the EOS 35mm, which has only limited functionality with my Canon XS (1000D). The problem is reducing the flash intensity sufficiently so that the lens can be used between 1:1 and 1:2 reproduction ratios, even at low ISO settings. It occurs to me that I should see if the manufacturer still exists, or is still making this flash, in which case, a digital EOS module may be available.

I also found a site on the 'net where a guy who had this Yuzo flash tested its trigger voltage, and found that it was putting out 4.7 volts. So, at least it's safe to use with the modern cameras.

Both the lens and the flash are in almost mint condition. The only thing that doesn't allow it to be mint is a very small ding on the lens's retractable hood.

I've shot some test images with the lens only using a coin as the subject at 1:1 and 1:2. I still need to finish cropping and associating the images. I also shot a set of images with my Tamron 90mm f/2.5 at 1:2 so I could do a comparison. I haven't done it yet, but I'l also be shooting a set of images of the coin with my 55mm f/3.5 Micro Nikkor.

I plan to assemble all the images and do a comparison between the three lenses and post the results on my blog. It will probably take a day or two, as time permits, before I'll have completed this.

In the meantime, though, I grabbed a few shots of some of our shrubbery that managed to survive the hard freeze we had here a couple of weeks ago.

Vivitar 105 macro @ f/2.5

Vivitar 105 macro @ f/5.6

Vivitar 105 macro @ f/5.6 (both images)

My initial tests indicate that this lens is a superior optic, and very useful with its 1:1 capability. I've read repeatedly that this is supposedly the sharpest macro ever made -- which I consider to be hyperbole, frankly. Based on my early tests, its sharpness appears to be on par with that of my Tamron 52B macro, which is not in any way suggesting that it is less than the best. I find my Tamron macro to be an incredibly sharp lens.

PostPosted: Wed Feb 17, 2010 7:00 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

Great looking kit and samples Michael!

Does the flash have manual control?

Is your Tamron as sharp as the Kiron wide open? I see that the adaptall-2 website suggests that the Tamron is much sharper at F4 and I've certainly found that with mine. I have been tempted by the Vivitar macros for this reason, but if there's little difference, I'll stick with the Tammy.

PostPosted: Wed Feb 17, 2010 4:06 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

I love my Viv 105. It may not be the sharpest out there but it will do me well into the future as it is the sharpest I've ever encountered. Congrats on the find.

PostPosted: Wed Feb 17, 2010 4:11 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

way cool stuff, there ...

PostPosted: Wed Feb 17, 2010 4:50 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Nice find indeed! I don't know where this "sharpest macro ever" tag started, but some reviewer must have said it and now just about every eBay listing for these lenses quotes it. It easily obvious, when pixel peeping, this is not the sharpest lens (not that it is not an excellent lens, don't get me wrong, it is sharp, but sharpEST of all other lenses?). I find the Series 1 90mm to be sharper. I haven't tried the tamron (thats next on the hit list, along with a tokina 90mm, just because!) but everything I hear puts it higher than most of the macro lenses I own. The 105 also suffers some chromatic aberration wide open. No worries though. For almost every application and all intents and purposes, this lens excels and produces a magnificent image. The thing I love about it is its physical design. It's like a functioning sculpture. Gorgeous. A true joy to use!

Regarding the ring flash, I too have one of these ringflash units. I think mine is "Dine" tagged. Does yours have the sliding adjuster on the rear of the control unit? I have found, it is pretty difficult to really do many off-the-cuff shots out in the wild. I end up fiddling with it this way or that. The metering with my D700 leaves something to be desired. But with some slight manual adjustments, it can be an extremely useful tool. And for the price compared to some of these other ringflash kits, oh yeah! Only thing id ask (aside from full compatibility with new metering systems) is some type of "hot lamp" or assist light which you may have to rig with an LED or something. Because once you start doing tight close-ups with these, youll lose your focusing light real quick.

Anywho! Glad to see a new viv 105mm owner! I think you'll love it!

PostPosted: Wed Feb 17, 2010 5:56 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Hey guys,

Thanks for the feedback. I neglected to mention, but just in case you're curious, the lens and ring lite cost me $205US including tax. I think that's an excellent deal for one of these lenses in Nikon mount. Same goes for the flash, too.

Martin, yeah the flash has manual control of a sort. It has a combined M/TTL setting. Don't really understand why they set it up that way, but in the case of my outfit, where I don't have a Nikon TTL-compatible camera, it behaves in Manual mode at that setting. And it has a scale that I can use as a guide for exposure at that setting. But in order to use the flash at a magnification approaching 1:1, I have to stop down to f/32 even at my camera's lowest ISO (100). Unfortunately, at f/32, the image deteriorates rather severely. The flash also has a 1/16 setting, which will end up being the most useful -- f/8 at 1.3' (0.4m) -- @ ISO 100. It also has an "Auto" setting, which uses an onboard thyristor, for which the lens is set to f/11 @ ISO 100. But the thyristor port is likely blocked by the lens and the flash when doing very close-up work, so it is of limited usefulness.

Based on my early tests so far, yes, I'd have to say my Tamron is as sharp as the Kiron wide open. One of the things I was surprised about with my Tamron 52B, in fact, was how sharp it was wide open. You might want to check out my write up on it at my blog (linked in my sig).

As I mentioned above, I'll be updating my blog with comparison results soon. Maybe today or tomorrow.

Justtorchit,

Yeah, I've noticed some CA wide open as well. Mine shows purple fringing, which is an easy one-click fix with the image processing software I use.

Yeah my flash has a sliding switch on the rear. The model of the flash is DC2814. Yeah, a modeling lamp would be great. I ran into the need for one last night, when I took the above shots of shrubbery, in fact. I was using Live View and it was dark, so of course I couldn't see anything. So I donned a "headlight" -- which is an LED-based flashlight that I mount to my head with an elastic band. It provided enough illumination for me to use Live View. But, ironically, I used my Canon's pop-up flash for the above shots. Cool I hadn't studied the Yuzo closely enough to figure out how to use it, and in any case, it's pretty much unusable at close focsing distances with apertures larger than f/5.6.

Last edited by cooltouch on Wed Feb 17, 2010 5:59 pm; edited 1 time in total

PostPosted: Wed Feb 17, 2010 5:57 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

I bet the Micro-Nikkor 55/3.5 will give a respectable performance with and without the M2 attached,especially at it's optimized 1:10 magnification.I don't have the Tamron or the Tokina either,and would be nice to see how they compare since they have such a good reputation.I would also like to see how the Kiron 105 compares to the Vivitar 105.I would like to see a good copy of the Micro Nikkor 105/4 thrown in to the comparison as well with the PN-11 attached,I think it's equal to,if not better then my Kiron 105 or Series 1 90/2.5 when shooting digitally.

Seriously though,these are all great macros capable of good performance as a good macro should be.But shooting digitally,some of the best modern macros that have been optimized for digital would probably best these old favorites.

That said,shooting with any good macro is a pleasure....and to me,the Kiron is the most pleasurable.

PostPosted: Wed Feb 17, 2010 6:07 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Hey Boomer,

I expect my 55mm Micro-Nikkor to acquit itself admirably against the other two Macros also. Mine is the one where the aperture size varies with focus. I've done quite a bit of macro work with my 55mm Micro and Canon XS, and have always been impressed with the sharpness and contrast I've gotten with this lens.

Yeah, it would be nice to toss some other Macros into the mix as well. Including the Canon FD 100mm f/4, which I used to own. But I'll have to use what I got, unless somebody wants to lend me theirs to include in the testing.

BTW, if anybody here has a Canon TTL module for the Yuzo/Dine flash, and you want to part with it, PM me.

PostPosted: Wed Feb 17, 2010 8:24 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Cooltouch,

Yeah those macro flashes can be pretty brutal. I rigged mine so I could set it back just a tad behind the lens and created a somewhat conical diffuser out of cardboard and shower curtain so as to soften the light as well as knock the power down a bit. It's precarious to say the least and every exposure is a case all its own it seems. But when you get it, its nice!

Boomer,

I have been waiting on a canon FD-m4/3 adapter (since my Vivitar 90-180mm f/4.5 is in FD mount, everything else is Nikon AI) to do a nice big comparison test. Ill either do it with the D700 or perhaps the GF1 so the 90-180mm can be a part of it all. It will be comprised of what I have so far:

Nikon 55mm f/3.5 with PK-13
Nikon 105mm f/4 with PN-11
Vivitar Series 1 90mm f/2.5
Vivitar 90mm f/2.8 (Komine made)
Vivitar Series 1 105mm f/2.5
Vivitar Series 1 90-180mm f/4.5
Kiron 105mm f/2.5
Tokina 100mm AT-X Pro f/2.8

Maybe in the time it takes China to ship that adapter I will have saved up enough extra $$ to pick up the:

Tamron 90mm f/2.5
Tokina 90mm f/2.5 (just for the heck of it)

Haha. I have been looking forward to doing it for a good while now! Ill keep anyone who is interested, posted. It'll go on the blog no doubt. Based on using these lenses, all of them will perform admirably. Some will most likely just suffer a bit more CA than others. And that S1 90 will be awesomely sharp wide open...(definitely my favorite lens to use)

PostPosted: Thu Feb 18, 2010 5:19 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

Cooltouch-I find it interesting and will be watching your blog for this comparison.The Canon FD 100/4 is another fine lens,I'm surprised you let this lens go,along with a few other excellent lens you used to have.BTW...very fine job on your blog and quite enjoyable read as well,keep up the good work!

justtorchit-I must say,Heavens to Murgatroid!....or....Holy Macro Lens,Batman that is quiet the remarkable macro collection that you've put together!I just checked out your blog....and will be looking forward to more.

The Vivitar 90-180 is a favorite of mine as well and is in a class of it's own along with the latter Micro-Nikkor AF 70-180 mm f/4.5-5.6 ED.To my eye the Vivitar though has a better image quality and is a better purpose built lens then the Micro-Nikkor 70-180.I wouldn't think it fair to put the Vivitar in comparison with dedicated macro primes,but for what it does the Vivitar 90-180 is an incomparable lens.

PostPosted: Thu Feb 18, 2010 5:21 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

I have the Lester Dine version of the 105 & it's my favorite. I also have the 135mm F2.8 Close Focus Vivitar (1:2), the 90mm F2.8 Komine made Vivitar (1:1) & a Micro Nikkor 55mm F2.8...Most all macro lenses will give excellent results as long as your technique is good, the major differences between them will be in build quality & coatings... I prefer the Dine as it goes to life size without any additional adapters.I know of several shooters who also have a Dine lens as well as the current iteration of the Nikkor 105 & both give the Dine a slight edge in their opinion. YMMV...I got my Dine from my Father-in_Law (a retired Dentist) for free alomg with a Nikon N2000 & the ring light (Sunpak version)...I find that when up close, the best way to shoot is using the power slider (full, half, quarter, etc)

justtorchit

Damn, what a nice selection of macro's !

PostPosted: Sun Feb 21, 2010 7:11 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

Screamin Scott wrote:
I got my Dine from my Father-in_Law (a retired Dentist) for free alomg with a Nikon N2000 & the ring light (Sunpak version)...I find that when up close, the best way to shoot is using the power slider (full, half, quarter, etc)

Hmmm . . . now I find myself wishing my setup would have come with the Sunpak flash. For power settings, the Yuzo has only full and 1/16.

Incidentally, I've updated my blog with a write-up on my Vivitar 105 macro with initial impressions and a few photos -- some of which I've already posted here.