Home

Please support mflenses.com if you need any graphic related work order it from us, click on above banner to order!

SearchSearch MemberlistMemberlist RegisterRegister ProfileProfile Log in to check your private messagesLog in to check your private messages Log inLog in

Gaillardia - an interesting flower
View previous topic :: View next topic  

PostPosted: Wed Jun 10, 2009 10:25 pm    Post subject: Gaillardia - an interesting flower Reply with quote

This is about an interesting find, when I was wondering around in parks taking shots using my "insect vision" filter. I know that prominent "Gaillardia" flower since I was a kid, but I never thought that it would exhibit some prominent UV pattern - but it does!

VIS shot:

simulated tetrachromatic vision ("butterfly vision" shot) (UV+B+G+R):

simulated trichromatic vision ("bee vision" shot) (UV+B+G):

I found it especially fascinating, that the red part of that prominent Gaillardia pattern has a very strong UV reflectance, accompanied by a prominent pattern the petal tips exhibits (UV+Green) so as to generate that "heliport landing spot" pattern. Is it just a coincidence that the pollen exhibits the very same color (and do I see some fluorescence there - to make the pollen look even brighter??)

PostPosted: Wed Jun 10, 2009 11:28 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

That is really interesting. I'm glad you have been showing these, I had no idea.

PostPosted: Thu Jun 11, 2009 4:42 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

beautiful flower and interesting infos
do you see the heliport with the "insect vision" filter or do you have to process the file

PostPosted: Thu Jun 11, 2009 5:18 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

Have you got a paper written on the "bee vision" aspect of flowers ?

You may find some interesting patterns across varieties and species.

There has to be a very interesting evolutionary story there.

PostPosted: Thu Jun 11, 2009 10:52 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

Thanks Guys!

@Luis: I have a list of publications on that on my UV-BLOG in case you're interested.

PostPosted: Thu Jun 11, 2009 2:01 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Klaus

Do you know if there are different pigments in the red and yellow parts of the petals ? Or is it a simple concentration effect - concentrated pigment in the red part and the same diluted pigment in the yellow part ?

PostPosted: Thu Jun 11, 2009 4:38 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

sichko wrote:
Klaus

Do you know if there are different pigments in the red and yellow parts of the petals ? Or is it a simple concentration effect - concentrated pigment in the red part and the same diluted pigment in the yellow part ?

Well John,

this would need some detailled maybe microscopic anylysis which I don't have the means to. But I will do some spectroscopic analysis using a micro reflectance probe on such a petal, to see how it reflects the wavelengths differently. I have the means to do that here in my lab.

PostPosted: Thu Jun 11, 2009 8:18 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

I wondered if anyone had actually isolated the pigment(s). It's the sort of thing a chemist might do. I did a search on Google when I first saw your Rudbeckia work. I didn't find much. Unfortunately now that I'm retired I don't have ready access to a decent library.

PostPosted: Thu Jun 11, 2009 9:55 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Now you have me wondering about our own Cornus canadensis, which is supposed to be quite unusual in its iteration of the UV attractors.

PostPosted: Fri Jun 12, 2009 7:03 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

Well, the outer 4 bright white "petals" reflect UV quite strongly if I remember correctly, but the inner "real" flower appear quite dark. We have that here and it is fully blossoming, so I can try and get some shots maybe today....(just cannot afford to have much wind for that and this was always an issue with Cornus canadensis)

PostPosted: Sat Jun 13, 2009 11:46 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

Well not exactly the dwarf type of Cornus canadensis but a similar, cultivated form I found a last one flowering, since all the others are done already. Unfortunately it was in a private garden where I could not get closer.

Visual light shot:

"bee vision" shot (UV+B+G):

The outer white pseudo-petals are very bright also in UV so to make the center stand out.

PostPosted: Sat Jun 13, 2009 3:30 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

....found more in another park: