Home

Please support mflenses.com if you need any graphic related work order it from us, click on above banner to order!

SearchSearch MemberlistMemberlist RegisterRegister ProfileProfile Log in to check your private messagesLog in to check your private messages Log inLog in

Portrait and fashion course in Guadalajara (Spain)
View previous topic :: View next topic  

PostPosted: Mon Jun 01, 2009 10:33 am    Post subject: Portrait and fashion course in Guadalajara (Spain) Reply with quote

Our spanish Pentax forum organized an intensive course (one day) past saturday in Guadalajara, about portrait and fashion. Since I always feel needing an improvement, I convinced my good workmate Jose Luis and we both drove the 560Km from Barcelona and back after the course.
It has been very interesting. We had four hours about theory (lighting, composition, model driving, etc.) and six hours of directed practice.
Two scenerys with whithe and black background, different ligthing sources (flash, continuous light) and several models that allowed us to improve a lot in our shooting.

I used the Pentax *istDS and the Carl Zeiss Planar 50mm 1.7 that has proven excellent for portraiture on the Pentax.

Some sample shots of my 330 shot set:

Was nice to see that a humble *istDS with the Planar could decently compete with cameras with much higher specifications and price...

Regards,

Jes.

PostPosted: Mon Jun 01, 2009 11:07 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

wow! Jes! I knew that you are a men of taste!
beautiful portfolio, more interesting than the insect I am constrained to shot Crying or Very sad
where are the other 330 shots Rolling Eyes

PostPosted: Mon Jun 01, 2009 11:44 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

All are very nice, but number 1 is just....WOW

PostPosted: Mon Jun 01, 2009 11:50 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

#2 / 6

I love Spain.

Go on Jesito, you are talented. Cool

PostPosted: Mon Jun 01, 2009 12:13 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

I'd like to see #1 in B&W aswell. Wink

If #4 were not out of focus, I'd vote for it as best. Very good expression.

Regards

PostPosted: Mon Jun 01, 2009 12:14 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Thanks colleagues for your comments...
It was damn easy when you have such a setup and nice models around...

@Poilu, most of the 330 shots are out focus, breaking the rules (the teacher said "no more than one reflection in the eye", "no cutting hands nor necks",.. and so on. So there are a lot to not to be considered. I'm filtering and picking the few that accomplish the rules..

@Lahnet, thre were five models, but that one (Nerea) seemed to share some feeling and it was very easy to direct her to look for the expressions I was looking for. Also the black background performed better with her golden hair.

@Magnet, Thanks for your kind words, but in such a place everything is much easier.

Regards,

Jes.

PostPosted: Mon Jun 01, 2009 12:30 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Nice, really nice ones!

PostPosted: Mon Jun 01, 2009 1:47 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Thanks, Attila, Hasan.

Jes.

PostPosted: Mon Jun 01, 2009 1:56 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Nice work Jes. I really like the first photo. Pose and focus. Many people would think focus is wrong but I personally like once in a while a photo where the focus is somewhere else than the face. The slight blur on the face augments the pensive feeling.

oh and models are two thumbs up Wink

PostPosted: Wed Jun 03, 2009 1:01 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Orio wrote:
Nice work Jes. I really like the first photo. Pose and focus. Many people would think focus is wrong but I personally like once in a while a photo where the focus is somewhere else than the face. The slight blur on the face augments the pensive feeling.

oh and models are two thumbs up Wink

Thanks a lot Orio for your kind comment, but unfortunately it was not intended. I really was pursuing a well focused portrait, but my sightseeing not being very good and the lighting conditions did that nice joke...

The target I was pursuing was similar to this one, much better focused, always with my beloved Planar (thanks to Andy who provided me with it) and the *istDS:

Regards,

Jes.

PostPosted: Wed Jun 03, 2009 1:18 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Nice work Jes Very Happy

PostPosted: Wed Jun 03, 2009 1:23 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Excellent photo Jes!!
Have you considered cropping it on the left? I think that a reframing would enhance it further more.

PostPosted: Thu Jun 04, 2009 6:30 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

Thanks, Graham, Orio!.

@Orio,

Yes Orio, you're right, I've been considering reframing it to give some relative space on the right side and cut the left area, but on the other hand I wouldn't like to lose the detail of the shoulder and the strap, so I left it as is... A composition problem, I should have moved the camera to the right a little... But you know, 20 people lurking around with cameras and trying to get some room on an elbow basis....

Thanks for commenting!.

Jes.

PostPosted: Thu Jun 04, 2009 6:45 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

Jesito wrote:
Thanks, Graham, Orio!.
@Orio,
Yes Orio, you're right, I've been considering reframing it to give some relative space on the right side and cut the left area, but on the other hand I wouldn't like to lose the detail of the shoulder and the strap, so I left it as is... A composition problem, I should have moved the camera to the right a little... But you know, 20 people lurking around with cameras and trying to get some room on an elbow basis....

I know well what you say... and many pictures that I show of people, are really crops, for the same reason - and also because I think that the 24x36 format is not ideal for portraits.

Please let me show how I would crop this image if it was mine:

Your photograph is really beautiful and I think that a square crop enhances the intensity that is in there.

Of course if you don't like I will remove this crop!

cheers
Orio

PostPosted: Thu Jun 04, 2009 9:03 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

Thanks a lot Orio, your crop is wonderful,
I think it has added some more balance to the picture, and you're right, the square format is much better for this portrait.

Thanks for your help!

Kind regards,

Jes.

PostPosted: Fri Jun 05, 2009 4:31 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

Wow, Jes, you lucky sonofa__ , well, you're just lucky, OK? That first one is a knockout and I like Orio's crop of your last, excellent work! Smile Cool

PostPosted: Fri Jun 05, 2009 6:40 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

Katastrofo wrote:
Wow, Jes, you lucky sonofa__ , well, you're just lucky, OK? That first one is a knockout and I like Orio's crop of your last, excellent work! Smile Cool

Thanks, Bill!

I'm now setting up a small home studio with some lighting to do more portraits... I cannot forget the lessons learned!!

Regards,
Jes.

PostPosted: Sun Jun 07, 2009 12:46 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Very intresting to read and see pictures.
Many thanks for sharing Jesito!

Beutiful pics of beutiful girls.
And what others already have said, the first pic is really good.

PostPosted: Sun Jun 07, 2009 4:02 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Swappo wrote:
Very intresting to read and see pictures.
Many thanks for sharing Jesito!

Beutiful pics of beutiful girls.
And what others already have said, the first pic is really good.

Thanks for commenting, Swappo!.

Regards

Jes.