Home

Please support mflenses.com if you need any graphic related work order it from us, click on above banner to order!

SearchSearch MemberlistMemberlist RegisterRegister ProfileProfile Log in to check your private messagesLog in to check your private messages Log inLog in

3D Image effects
View previous topic :: View next topic  

PostPosted: Thu Jun 04, 2009 10:40 pm    Post subject: 3D Image effects Reply with quote

What lenses are the best to obtain 3d effect? Does it matter what focal length? Is it just a matter of where you focus?

I never seem to be able to grab a nice 3D effect.

Heres one of my recent efforts... Confused

PostPosted: Thu Jun 04, 2009 11:47 pm    Post subject: Wow Reply with quote

Wow, I accidently left clicked on your picture and it started moving backwards... Talk about 3d! Click it a few times and you will see what I mean.

I have only got the 3d ish look a few times, and for me it seemed less about the lens and more about conditions... Lighting, and subject distance to OOF background seems to play a part in the 3d look.

But I do know there are some lenses that seem to do it a lot more than others. Hopefully some owners of those lenses will chime in. But for now I am going back to clicking on your pic to get 'that' 3d effect. Very Happy

PostPosted: Thu Jun 04, 2009 11:58 pm    Post subject: Re: Wow Reply with quote

Gus Helios wrote:
Wow, I accidently left clicked on your picture and it started moving backwards... Talk about 3d! Click it a few times and you will see what I mean.

I have only got the 3d ish look a few times, and for me it seemed less about the lens and more about conditions... Lighting, and subject distance to OOF background seems to play a part in the 3d look.

But I do know there are some lenses that seem to do it a lot more than others. Hopefully some owners of those lenses will chime in. But for now I am going back to clicking on your pic to get 'that' 3d effect. Very Happy

Actually that pic is the closest I have ever come. i always assumed it was a matter of where you placed your focus. This one I center focused deep to try to get the effect.

PostPosted: Fri Jun 05, 2009 12:54 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

No, it's not just the focus... There are many factors that tell the eye what is the distance to different parts in the picture. Lightness/darkness, contrast, even color. Close objects are contrasty and colorful. Distant objects are grayish and may appear darker. Great painters know that. Great lenses know that too. By "great" I mean Zeiss of course Smile Leica's too. It's pure magic or, as some people call it, "microcontrast". Some people call it "bullshit", but I am a believer Smile

I was trying to show an example here, but somehow browser kills most of the effect. In my Photoshop the deer is ready to jump from the screen Smile Oh no, it's just the resizing. Click on the picture to see it better.

PostPosted: Fri Jun 05, 2009 4:41 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

pirius wrote:

I was trying to show an example here, but somehow browser kills most of the effect. In my Photoshop the deer is ready to jump from the screen Smile Oh no, it's just the resizing. Click on the picture to see it better.

Yes, very nice! The separation of the deer from the background is very clear indeed.

About browsers ... Internet Explorer still doesn't support color management, so I would recommend e.g. Firefox 3. Also in that browser, you need to enable color management manually, btw!