Home

Please support mflenses.com if you need any graphic related work order it from us, click on above banner to order!

SearchSearch MemberlistMemberlist RegisterRegister ProfileProfile Log in to check your private messagesLog in to check your private messages Log inLog in

Techart LM EA7 - AF for manual lenses, just amazing.
View previous topic :: View next topic  

PostPosted: Sat Apr 16, 2022 4:33 pm    Post subject: Techart LM EA7 - AF for manual lenses, just amazing. Reply with quote

I know some of you have been touting this contrivance but I just could not bring myself to pony up the 400 bucks. Watched ebay carefully for a while and finally snagged one for 180 dollars. I then got the LM to EF adapter and that allows me to use most of my plethora of manual lenses as I already had a bunch of EF adapters to OM, C/Y, PK, Exacta, m42 and probably others I am not remembering right now. I know I am a bit behind the curve (OK way behind the curve!) on this but wanted to give Techart a shout out on this amazing tech. I will purchase an MD to LM adapter soon. I currently have the following stack of adapters on my A7rii-LM-EA7-EF-OM-to Oly 90mm f2 macro.

PostPosted: Sat Apr 16, 2022 5:10 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

I'm glad that you are satisfied with your new acquisition. It's much more convenient to use all kind of manual lenses with the Techart adapter which I bought together with the A7R II.
For me it was the other way round: Without the Techart I would not have bought the Sony. Wink

PostPosted: Sun Apr 17, 2022 7:12 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

I'd like one too. It would make it a lot easier to photograph my dogs!

My first AF lens showed that, a Samyang 75mm 1.8.

PostPosted: Sun Apr 17, 2022 7:19 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

I have not decided if I need one. May be after I upgraded my RII to something else. Rolling Eyes

PostPosted: Sun Apr 17, 2022 5:14 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Well it is not a perfect solution but useful.. is there a way to quickly override the AF if you want? I was at a pond yesterday and a mallard swam out in front of me. Nicely framed by some willow branches. The AF would only focus on the willows.

PostPosted: Sun Apr 17, 2022 5:23 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

jamaeolus wrote:
Well it is not a perfect solution but useful.. is there a way to quickly override the AF if you want?

Indeed, but there is no better solution for MF lenses available.

The button in the center of the AF/MF-AEL switch turns the camera instantly in MF mode as long as you press it. The switch must be set to AF/MF. The normal MF setting is not possible with the adapter attached.

PostPosted: Sun Apr 17, 2022 7:28 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Thanks a lot for the tip. The techart does not always focus and I did not know how to switch it off.

PostPosted: Wed Apr 20, 2022 11:53 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

One other tip I thought I would relay. At first the screen was way dark when using it whereas I am used to "what u see is what u get" Then I discovered that the front dial for F stop was dialed down. Normally for lenses not electronically linked it reads -- and ha no function. I dialed it to f2 and all of a sudden it works like I expected.

Separately I have a query for AF experts. I understand how a digital sensor can detect lines of demarcation and decide a picture is in focus. How did film cameras achieve AF?

PostPosted: Fri Apr 22, 2022 6:48 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

I use Techart adapter for fast lenses, such as 135/f2, 105/1.8, 85/1.4 or 50/55/1.2. For other lenses, I am still doing manual focus; otherwise I would be losing the joy of vintage lenses. Manual focusing itself is a big part of it. Laugh 1

PostPosted: Fri Apr 22, 2022 7:23 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

vivaldibow wrote:
I use Techart adapter for fast lenses, such as 135/f2, 105/1.8, 85/1.4 or 50/55/1.2. For other lenses, I am still doing manual focus; otherwise I would be losing the joy of vintage lenses. Manual focusing itself is a big part of it. Laugh 1

Like 1

YES!