Home

Please support mflenses.com if you need any graphic related work order it from us, click on above banner to order!

SearchSearch MemberlistMemberlist RegisterRegister ProfileProfile Log in to check your private messagesLog in to check your private messages Log inLog in

Lens hood for Zuiko 21/2
View previous topic :: View next topic  

PostPosted: Sun May 31, 2009 4:32 pm    Post subject: Lens hood for Zuiko 21/2 Reply with quote

Hi y'all. I've got a question. One thing I've been getting into with my 21/2 is IR. Yesterday, the clouds were perfect, so I went out to the nearby reservoir to take a few shots, and got something like this:

As you can see, it's flaring. Mind you the sun was 180 degrees in the other direction, about 45 degrees above the horizon.

I have a feeling it's accentuated by the PP that goes on with IR, and also perhaps due to the long exposure time, but I figured if I'm to continue this pursuit, a lens hood is essential. Problem is, I don't have one for it, and as you know, genuine Zuiko lens hoods (or anything Zuiko for tha matter), are expensive; I'd end up spending more on the hood than I did on this lens Laughing

I did some searching on Ebay, and there really aren't that many hoods for 21mm lenses, and they're all expensive, but there are quite a few for 20mm lenses for reasonable prices. The question is, would those be good?

I understand that hoods designed for wider lenses shouldn't cause vignetting, but may be inadequate, while those designed for longer lenses would be more than enough and may cause vignetting.

Any input greatly greatly appreciated. Thanks.

PostPosted: Sun May 31, 2009 4:39 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

rawhead ... perhaps i can ask my supplier if they can do custom hoods.

What design are you after?

PostPosted: Sun May 31, 2009 4:54 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

I can tell you my solution when I owned this lens.

Use a 55-86 step up ring first. The Contax one is what I had but any will work.
Then Purchase a 86mm Wide angle metal hood. This hood will typically be a copy of one meant to work on the Hassy WA system. You can buy the original if you like to spend the dough.
No you have a hood that is wide enough to not vignette and also provides far better protection than the original and grossly expensive little "cone" hood from Zuiko.
My lens came with that cone hood. When I realized how poorly it worked I came up with this method and ebayed the original for $210 Laughing

Interesting shot. Maybe you could do a step by step of your work flow if you don't mind Smile

BTW the Contax 55-86 step up ring alone is not a bad hood option for the zuiko 2/21mm in less harsh conditions.

PostPosted: Sun May 31, 2009 5:13 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

F16SUNSHINE wrote:

Then Purchase a 86mm Wide angle metal hood. This hood will typically be a copy of one meant to work on the Hassy WA system. You can buy the original if you like to spend the dough.
No you have a hood that is wide enough to not vignette and also provides far better protection than the original and grossly expensive little "cone" hood from Zuiko.
My lens came with that cone hood. When I realized how poorly it worked I came up with this method and ebayed the original for $210 Laughing

Interesting shot. Maybe you could do a step by step of your work flow if you don't mind Smile

BTW the Contax 55-86 step up ring alone is not a bad hood option for the zuiko 2/21mm in less harsh conditions.

Andy ... pls post a pic of your solution.
Also ... what is the height of your 86mm hood ... and how big is the diameter of the front of this hood?

PostPosted: Sun May 31, 2009 7:54 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

hk300 wrote:
rawhead ... perhaps i can ask my supplier if they can do custom hoods.

What design are you after?

Please read what I have to say below, as it is related, thanks! Smile

PostPosted: Sun May 31, 2009 8:16 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

F16SUNSHINE wrote:

Great suggestion! It's funny because I've already purchased a 55-77 step up ring, since I'm thinking of buying a 77mm R72 filter; I currently only have a 58mm one, and I'm using a 55-58 adapter to use it with my 21/2, but, as you can imagine, it results in rather severe vignetting. This image is cropped a good 4-5% and you can still see the vignette. Also, with a 77mm filter, I can use it on my Pentax DA 12-24mm as well. I know for a fact that a 77mm filter won't cause any additional vignetting since I've tried shooting with a 77mm CP filter (which is thicker than IR filters).

Anyway, do you think a 77mm metal hood would work just as well, or shoul I get a 77-86 step up, too? It'll be a rather elaborate set up, but I wouldn't mind, since IR shooting itself is involved anyway.

Quote:

Haha, maybe I'll sell the cone hood for my 85/2 to finance this; probably can't sell it for $210, but maybe $100? Laughing

Quote:

No worries, though there are masters far more knowledgeable here than me.

I used a 58mm Hoya R72 IR filter mounted on the 21/2 via 55-58 step up, on my EOS 5D.

ISO 100, F8, 10s exposure @ AWB.

Then, for post, here were the basic steps, all done using adjustment layers:

(1) Levels -> Auto Levels
(2) Channel Mixer -> Blue 0%, Red 100% @ Blue channe & Blue 100%, Red 0% @ Red channel (so-called Blue-Red swap)
(3) Hue/Saturation -> for "Cyans" bring saturation way down, bring lightness way up & for "Blues" bring saturation slightly down: a lot of this isn't exact science, and I just fiddle around till it looks right Smile
(4) Levels ->clip black point and white point a tad, and move the middle slider till the mid tone contrast looks good, again, just fiddling around mostly.

PostPosted: Mon Jun 01, 2009 5:51 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

$210 seems like an anomaly price-wise, good score getting someone to pay that! Wink

I sold an OM 21/2 hood recently for $75, it was in as-new shape. I only sold it since I had found a 2nd one new-in-box for under $40 so I kept that one.

btw, the 85/2 hoods are cheap and common, no more than a $20 item if that.

does it flare like that in non-IR shooting? If not, it might be an IR artifact, in which case a hood may not help.

-Ed

PostPosted: Mon Jun 01, 2009 7:23 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

EdSawyer wrote:
$210 seems like an anomaly price-wise, good score getting someone to pay that! Wink

I sold an OM 21/2 hood recently for $75, it was in as-new shape. I only sold it since I had found a 2nd one new-in-box for under $40 so I kept that one.

btw, the 85/2 hoods are cheap and common, no more than a $20 item if that.

does it flare like that in non-IR shooting? If not, it might be an IR artifact, in which case a hood may not help.

-Ed

Ebay is an anomaly I take no credit in people bidding out of control Rolling Eyes

Hi Ed did not see you around for a while.

@ Rawhead
I think your fiter/hood is a great idea. Look for a 77mm hood. Actually even if you find a 77-86 or 77-95 step up ring that is tapered. That may be enough to finish it.

A few filter makers make wide versions of their filters also.
For example I had one from B+W that was 55mm threaded on the lens side and flared out to 90mm.
Take a look at B+H to find similar. You will find something that works well.