Home

Please support mflenses.com if you need any graphic related work order it from us, click on above banner to order!

SearchSearch MemberlistMemberlist RegisterRegister ProfileProfile Log in to check your private messagesLog in to check your private messages Log inLog in

Which wide angle lens with Canon 5d?
View previous topic :: View next topic  

PostPosted: Mon Jun 22, 2009 4:54 pm    Post subject: Which wide angle lens with Canon 5d? Reply with quote

May you give me advice about compatibility?

Thank's

PostPosted: Mon Jun 22, 2009 5:36 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Hi Smile
In my 5D I tend to use the Distagon 28/2.8 but mirror hits at infinity. However, I can focus just a little bit before infinity and using a little aperture - f5,6 or f8 - I reach it with no problem. Quality and colour is excellent from 2.8.

My other option is Olympus 21/3.5, even if I have a bad "grinded for me" adapter I get good results from f8 and can reach infinity without trouble (if you have a good adapter). The lens have a bit of CA in some extreme situation and a very particular flare Wink. It's one of the cheapest/quality/compact wide angle's you can find.

Hope to be useful Smile

See you!

PostPosted: Mon Jun 22, 2009 5:58 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

any M42 aka US (universal screwmount) aka Pentax Screwmount

search ebaY for "EOS adapter" -- any without glass that indicate "infinity focus" -- any of those lenses

edit (Thanks hk300! see below):

Caveat -- the 5D mirror is obstructed by some M42 lenses; some obstruct the mirror only near or at infinity focus.

There's a list "5D Mark II lens compatibility chart" at http://forum.mflenses.com/viewtopic.php?t=15761

Note the 5D mirror clears some of those; the 5D Mark II mirror apparently swings a slightly smaller diameter arc.

Last edited by visualopsins on Tue Jun 23, 2009 5:27 pm; edited 2 times in total

PostPosted: Tue Jun 23, 2009 8:24 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

Thank's a lot

PostPosted: Tue Jun 23, 2009 9:26 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

siriusdogstar wrote:
any M42 aka US (universal screwmount) aka Pentax Screwmount

search ebaY for "EOS adapter" -- any without glass that indicate "infinity focus" -- any of those lenses

note that some M42 lenses will hit the mirror.

PostPosted: Tue Jun 23, 2009 10:25 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

Olympus wides are good idea. The 2.8/24 works very well on EOS 5D

PostPosted: Tue Jun 23, 2009 4:42 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

mflex-on wrote:
Olympus wides are good idea. The 2.8/24 works very well on EOS 5D

Thank's MFLEX

PostPosted: Tue Jun 23, 2009 6:28 pm    Post subject: Re: Which wide angle lens with Canon 5d? Reply with quote

donTTouchonlywatch wrote:
May you give me advice about compatibility?

Thank's

For the 5D MK I you find my compatibility chart here

PostPosted: Sun Jul 05, 2009 8:44 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

Thank's everybody

PostPosted: Sun Jul 05, 2009 8:54 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

How wide you need?
There's a big difference between a 28mm wide and a 20mm wide.
If you need really wide then I would suggest a Flektogon or Nikkor 20mm
Both of them don't require any mirror shaving.

PostPosted: Sun Jul 05, 2009 10:49 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

For wide, I really like the Olympus 3.5/28 much, it is perfect.
For ultra-wide I used a Prakticar bayonet (PB) CZJ Flek 2.8/20 after some modification I liked the results after stoppping down to f:5.5, wide open soft and exhibits more CA. But for ultra wide I would opt for the Olympus Olympus 3.5/21.

PostPosted: Mon Jul 06, 2009 5:00 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Agree with Orio, Zeiss Distagon 20mm, 21mm is ok but Zeiss 18mm is not suitable for full frame.

PostPosted: Mon Jul 06, 2009 5:10 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Yes that's true, there is a big difference.
Perhaps this helps, a small test I did last year to find the aperture sweet spot for some lenses:

15mm

18mm

28mm

50mm

85mm

135mm

PostPosted: Mon Jul 06, 2009 5:35 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

KhanX wrote:
Agree with Orio, Zeiss Distagon 20mm, 21mm is ok but Zeiss 18mm is not suitable for full frame.

Why is the Zeiss 18 not suitable for Full Frame Smile ? I am just wondering...

thanks

tf

PostPosted: Mon Jul 06, 2009 6:07 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

trifox wrote:
KhanX wrote:

Why is the Zeiss 18 not suitable for Full Frame Smile ? I am just wondering...
thanks
tf

Because you are the only lucky guy in the world to have a 5DII whose mirror is cleared by the Distagon 18. The rest of us humans get a mirror conflict. Sad

PostPosted: Mon Jul 06, 2009 6:10 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

One thing our friend needs to know, my suggestions were on the relatively affordable side (200 Eur approx. for a Flektogon 20/4, something less for a Nikkor 3.5/20), while the other suggestions of a Distagon 21, 18, or 15, are all on the super expensive side (Distagon 18 around 600 Eur, Distagon 21 more than 1000 Eur, Distagon 15 around 2000 Eur)