Home

Please support mflenses.com if you need any graphic related work order it from us, click on above banner to order!

SearchSearch MemberlistMemberlist RegisterRegister ProfileProfile Log in to check your private messagesLog in to check your private messages Log inLog in

looking for 200mm lens advice
View previous topic :: View next topic  

PostPosted: Wed May 27, 2009 2:17 am    Post subject: looking for 200mm lens advice Reply with quote

hi,

I am looking to pickup one of the 200mm lens listed below. I have a 80-200/2.8L zoom at the moment and find it somewhat heavy and big. As a result, the search for a lighter weight/slower lens at the same FL.

Would you comment about the quality and a fair price range of the lens?

Voigtlander COLOR-Dynarex 200/3.5 (Rollei mount)

Yashica ML C 200/4 (C/Y mount)

Rolleinar MC 200/3.5 (Rollei mount)

Pentax SMC Takumar 200/4 (M42 mount)

If you have to choose one, which one of the above would you select?

Furthermore, my budget is $200 at the most. Would I get a decent one at this price range? I also welcome other suggestion.

Thank you for your time,

Cheers

PostPosted: Wed May 27, 2009 3:13 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

SMC Takumar (Pentax) 200/4

Superb quality, and $60 or so. You can certainly get an excellent one for much, much less than $200

Also good would be a Yashinon DX 200/4, very similar to the Takumar, and possibly about the same price.

PostPosted: Wed May 27, 2009 6:33 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

You might also want to consider the Tamron Adaptall-2 200/3.5, http://www.adaptall-2.com/lenses/04B.html
It's very light-weight and good enough for my purposes. I often bring it along "just in case", and have gotten some good shots with it.
Come to think of it, I hope I'll find the time to use my Takumar 200/4, it's been gathering dust for a long time.

/Erik

PostPosted: Wed May 27, 2009 11:45 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

I had the S-M-C Tak but sold it when I bought the 3.5/200 Auto Chinon. Chinon is sharper, better saturation and performs better in high contrast situations (Tak will show purple fringing). It's also a fraction of the price.

Another consideration is the Pentacon preset 200mm with it's fantastic bokeh. Again, cheaper than the Tak and as sharp.

PostPosted: Wed May 27, 2009 6:54 pm    Post subject: Consider the Oly 200/4 Reply with quote

Consider trying the Olympus 200 f/4: it's very sharp, good color and contrast, and probably the smallest of anything in the same length/speed range. Price is well within your budget too. And I have one to sell! Wink

-Ed

PostPosted: Wed May 27, 2009 7:15 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

All above ideas just good except Yashica ML 200mm , that is very average lens.

PostPosted: Thu May 28, 2009 4:52 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

I've been wanting to gey my hands on the Chinon 200mm also. Chinons perform quite well. Im very pleased with my collection.

PostPosted: Thu May 28, 2009 8:21 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

try to find Jupiter - 21M 200mm/4
it's a bit heavy lens but i love it's quality

PostPosted: Thu May 28, 2009 12:38 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

All,

thank you for time and all the comment/suggestion thus far, please keep them coming. I still have sometime to consider this purchase....having limited funds makes this task somewhat difficult Very Happy

As indicated in my original post, I have a nice EF 80-200/2.8L which is considered to be an outstanding lens by many. My issue is that it is big and heavy(ok in relative terms) , so it is left at home a lot of time; thus I want to get a lighter/compact 200.

I am hoping my initial list of 4 lens and the suggestions received so far would perform reasonable well(when comparing to my lens at f4).

For me, centre sharpness is a must -- edge or extreme edge not so important. ok, that would be nice if the lens is sharp across the frame at wide open, but I knnow I can't have that at my price point...may be I can dream. If there is such lens, please do tell. Color, rendering style and etc are secondary for me.

spiralcity,
there was a 200mm on the xbay for about $65USD last night. I hope you saw it.

Cheers

spiralcity wrote:
I've been wanting to gey my hands on the Chinon 200mm also. Chinons perform quite well. Im very pleased with my collection.

PostPosted: Thu May 28, 2009 1:46 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

cheve wrote:
All,

thank you for time and all the comment/suggestion thus far, please keep them coming. I still have sometime to consider this purchase....having limited funds makes this task somewhat difficult Very Happy

As indicated in my original post, I have a nice EF 80-200/2.8L which is considered to be an outstanding lens by many. My issue is that it is big and heavy(ok in relative terms) , so it is left at home a lot of time; thus I want to get a lighter/compact 200.

I am hoping my initial list of 4 lens and the suggestions received so far would perform reasonable well(when comparing to my lens at f4).

For me, centre sharpness is a must -- edge or extreme edge not so important. ok, that would be nice if the lens is sharp across the frame at wide open, but I knnow I can't have that at my price point...may be I can dream. If there is such lens, please do tell. Color, rendering style and etc are secondary for me.

spiralcity,
there was a 200mm on the xbay for about $65USD last night. I hope you saw it.

Cheers

spiralcity wrote:

Hi,
I've been looking, I just havent been spending. Things are a bit rough with the economy and my situation at work has changed. Hard times.

PostPosted: Thu May 28, 2009 2:16 pm    Post subject: Re: looking for 200mm lens advice Reply with quote

cheve wrote:

Rolleinar MC 200/3.5 (Rollei mount)

I've used one cleaned Rolleinar but I didn't like it.
My Rollei mount Zeiss Tele-Tessar 4/200 is superior to it and I highly recommend!
http://www.flickr.com/photos/yalcinaydin/sets/72157612834391176/