Home

Please support mflenses.com if you need any graphic related work order it from us, click on above banner to order!

SearchSearch MemberlistMemberlist RegisterRegister ProfileProfile Log in to check your private messagesLog in to check your private messages Log inLog in

Almost a complete Chinon set!!!
View previous topic :: View next topic  

PostPosted: Tue Apr 28, 2009 7:38 pm    Post subject: Almost a complete Chinon set!!! Reply with quote

Click here to see on Ebay

I thought this was a very decent BIN price for 3 lenses and a nice solid camera. I asked the seller about the other two lenses that you can't see. He confirmed they were both Auto Chinons - the 1.7/55mm and 2.8/135mm.

I've had an AUTO CHINON 2.8/28mm for a year or so now. I've been impressed with its overall above-average quality (both optically and build-wise). So now a 28mm, 35mm, 55mm, 135mm.... Rolling Eyes I need to stop buying things....

~Marc

PostPosted: Tue Apr 28, 2009 8:30 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Congratulations - you got yourself some nice kit there, and without breaking the bank!

PostPosted: Tue Apr 28, 2009 10:16 pm    Post subject: Interesting? Reply with quote

Click here to see on Ebay

Doug Smile

PostPosted: Tue Apr 28, 2009 10:22 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

That one is a k mount, I'm only interested in m42...but I guess the 200mm is necessary to create a bit more complete array of lenses.

I don't ever see an opportunity to shoot around with my Jupiter 21m (I guess I'm not a telephoto kinda person)...so maybe this one will have to wait....

PostPosted: Tue Apr 28, 2009 10:30 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Excellent ! Very Happy

I took a look at that 200mm, I really shouldnt have. Shocked
Now I want to bid...

I have a bunch of Chinon/Chinar glass as it is, but I dont own that 200mm. I rarley shoot long, but it would be nice to add to my collection.

PostPosted: Tue Apr 28, 2009 11:46 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Tee hee

I am the ultimate tempter! lol

Doug

spiralcity wrote:
Excellent ! Very Happy

I took a look at that 200mm, I really shouldnt have. Shocked
Now I want to bid...

I have a bunch of Chinon/Chinar glass as it is, but I dont own that 200mm. I rarley shoot long, but it would be nice to add to my collection.

PostPosted: Wed Apr 29, 2009 4:21 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

I have a 28mm f2.8 Chinar in K-mount, and sad to say it is several steps down from Pentax SMC-M or even SMC-A lenses in build quality, fit and finish, etc.

PostPosted: Wed Apr 29, 2009 6:12 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

I have the 3.5/200 in M42 mount and it beats the S-M-C Takumar and the Pentacon preset in just about everyway, including price.

PostPosted: Wed Apr 29, 2009 6:19 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

Ive had the 50/2.8 and 100/2.8 autochinon. The 100 is great, the 50 was not very impressive.

PostPosted: Wed Apr 29, 2009 7:02 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

maybe Chinon and Chinar are different classes?

because my Chinar is really, mechanically, closer to the Korean fantastics than to Japanese work. The rubber focusing grip has come loose, the aperture ring works back and forth a bit, and every time I trip the shutter (which moves the aperture lever at the back of the lens), I can feel the whole lens rotate a little bit.

Optically... I wouldn't know really. I don't use it much because I have a 16-45/4 ED.

PostPosted: Wed Apr 29, 2009 3:03 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Had a Chinon 135mm as part of my first SLR kit and it was a gem,still looking around for one now

PostPosted: Wed Apr 29, 2009 5:19 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

CaptainPenguin wrote:
Had a Chinon 135mm as part of my first SLR kit and it was a gem,still looking around for one now

They crop up on efray often enough.

PostPosted: Wed Apr 29, 2009 6:00 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Any idea how the Auto Chinon 2.8/135mm would compare to a Komine-make Vivitar 2.8/135mm?

PostPosted: Wed Apr 29, 2009 10:51 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

orly_andico wrote:
I have a 28mm f2.8 Chinar in K-mount, and sad to say it is several steps down from Pentax SMC-M or even SMC-A lenses in build quality, fit and finish, etc.

Hmmmm, I find this to be an intersting statement.
I would say optically not as good but the build is rather nice, as a matter of fact the build is sturdy and very functionally sound, no difference in build quality when compared to my Taks that I can detect.

I own 2 28mm Chinars, one is older as you can see from serial number.
Both built very solid.

Last edited by spiralcity on Thu Apr 30, 2009 6:34 am; edited 1 time in total

PostPosted: Thu Apr 30, 2009 4:02 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

spiralcity
that's the exact same chinar i have.

see the gap between the lens focusing barrel and the aperture ring? doesn't look very well put-together...

PostPosted: Thu Apr 30, 2009 5:09 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

I have an Auto Chinon 2.8/28mm in K-mount with a 52mm filter thread and its superb. I think It was made by Tokina. It's really sharp wide open and the only fault i found was a little bit of barrel distortion which doesn't bother me much.

PostPosted: Thu Apr 30, 2009 6:21 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

orly_andico wrote:
spiralcity
that's the exact same chinar i have.

see the gap between the lens focusing barrel and the aperture ring? doesn't look very well put-together...

They function superb and are solid. That gap you see is not a problem in the slightest. These are old lenses and handle just as well as my Taks with the exception of image quality. Although the image quality on these two 28's is decent.

Last edited by spiralcity on Thu Apr 30, 2009 7:05 am; edited 1 time in total

PostPosted: Thu Apr 30, 2009 7:00 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

themoleman342 wrote:
Any idea how the Auto Chinon 2.8/135mm would compare to a Komine-make Vivitar 2.8/135mm?

Well, I have the Chinar 135 2.8 and the Viv Komine. I havent compared samples yet. I actually havent even thought of doing this until now. Smile
It may not be a Chinon auto but, hey, what the hell.

Here they are.

PostPosted: Wed May 27, 2009 5:32 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

I was looking over the Chinons today and realized that some say they are Japanese and others Korean despite having essentially the same nameplate and build. Any optical difference between the two? Or for lenses other than the chinons? Many Thanks

~Marc

PostPosted: Thu May 28, 2009 4:23 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

themoleman342 wrote:
I was looking over the Chinons today and realized that some say they are Japanese and others Korean despite having essentially the same nameplate and build. Any optical difference between the two? Or for lenses other than the chinons? Many Thanks

~Marc

I think the Chinars may be Korean. My 28's are decent lenses, the 135mm I have yet to put to the test.

The 135mm minimum focus distance is absurd. I think it may be 8 feet.

PostPosted: Thu May 28, 2009 11:22 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

themoleman342 wrote:

I've owned both these lenses, both are well built, but optically the Chinon is sharper wide open. Though neither are as good as the various Pentacons, thats in my opinion.

PostPosted: Thu May 28, 2009 12:15 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

orly_andico wrote:
maybe Chinon and Chinar are different classes?

Chinar was an attempt from chinon to compete with other oem lens vendors (soligor, vivitar...)

Chinon lenses are only m42 or k mount for chinon cameras (+ supposed to be top quality)
Chinar lenses were sold in olympus, canon ... mounts

Chinar distribution was a short term adventure

PostPosted: Thu May 28, 2009 4:43 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Here's what I know about my 28mm Chinars.

ONE IS PK, THE OTHER M42 mount. THE ONE PICTURED IS PK.

Decent glass. I like them both.

Made in Korea for sure. No doubt about it.