Home

Please support mflenses.com if you need any graphic related work order it from us, click on above banner to order!

SearchSearch MemberlistMemberlist RegisterRegister ProfileProfile Log in to check your private messagesLog in to check your private messages Log inLog in

200 mm astrology: Sun or Jupiter?
View previous topic :: View next topic  

PostPosted: Sat May 23, 2009 9:07 am    Post subject: 200 mm astrology: Sun or Jupiter? Reply with quote

Does anybody have any information on IQ and value of the Sun Tele Auto 200 mm F2.8? There is one up for sale but I can't find any info - except one Honkong eBay seller. I'm looking for a fast, affordable tele with good image quality, and so far my choices are between a Jupiter 21M and this one. I saw Rolf's shoot-out (Pentacon135, Jupiter 21 en Canon 200/2.8 ) and I like the Jupiter - But maybe the Sun with its 2.8 could do something of the sort?

PostPosted: Sat May 23, 2009 9:13 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

Don,t know about the Sun lens, I wouldn't hold out a lot of hope, it might surprise you however, but the Jupiter 21m is a definite quality item and can certainly be relied on its only drawback is its a pretty heavy lens to lug about but a good performer

PostPosted: Mon May 25, 2009 11:55 am    Post subject: Re: 200 mm astrology: Sun or Jupiter? Reply with quote

bobcominitaly wrote:
Does anybody have any information on IQ and value of the Sun Tele Auto 200 mm F2.8?

The sun 24x36 were manufactured by goyo optical beetwen ~1970 and ~1985

The first series : 1970 /1978 were ok (not top but ok) and rather ahead of their time (ie 24/40 or 38/90)
That serie has often a siver stop ring

The second series : 1978/1985 were lowest quality. Most soligor, osawa lenses of that period were sun lenses
Some design were unique : ie the dualfocal 28+35 (not zoom, dual focals !) or 80+135 sold by sun AND soligor (unfortunatly the quality of these lenses were lower than their zoom equivallentà
That serie has often a macro position with a lock button which looks something like that "L>"

PostPosted: Mon May 25, 2009 1:15 pm    Post subject: Re: 200 mm astrology: Sun or Jupiter? Reply with quote

bobcominitaly wrote:
Does anybody have any information on IQ and value of the Sun Tele Auto 200 mm F2.8? There is one up for sale but I can't find any info - except one Honkong eBay seller. I'm looking for a fast, affordable tele with good image quality, and so far my choices are between a Jupiter 21M and this one. I saw Rolf's shoot-out (Pentacon135, Jupiter 21 en Canon 200/2.8 ) and I like the Jupiter - But maybe the Sun with its 2.8 could do something of the sort?

Hi,

I don´t know about the Sun lens. I have only one

http://forum.mflenses.com/sun-opt-hi-tele-zoom-5-8-190-430mm-t16646.html

but I would prefer the Jupiter. As you can see under certain condition the Jupiter performs like the actual Canon Lens. Btw it is the question whether 200mm isn´t too short for astrology ?

Rolf

PostPosted: Mon May 25, 2009 1:41 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

I know nothing about Sun but I've found a zoom that can be yours paying a 10 dollars bill

http://www.ritzcam.com/catalog/index.php?category_id=890

PostPosted: Mon May 25, 2009 1:59 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Thanks for your replies. As far as I can conclude the Sun under offer falls in the category
Quote:
The second series : 1978/1985 were lowest quality. Most soligor, osawa lenses of that period were sun lenses
So I'll stay away from it. Especially since I am expecting the arrival of a Jupiter I got for less than half the price of the Sun. Doesn't have the adapter and the teleconverter included, but those won't help the IQ either.

@Rolf: For astrology 200 mm is way too long - you can draw horoscopes with your eyes closed. But you guys have shown me that the signs are in favour of Jupiter - and I hope my photgraphs will prove you right.

PostPosted: Mon May 25, 2009 2:21 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

If you need to choice from Russian or third-party Japanese lenses in general always pick-up Russians, they are almost good as than famous brands or good as. This fact rare true on "noname" Japanese lenses.

PostPosted: Mon May 25, 2009 8:46 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

For astrology, you don't really need a lens or a camera Smile Now, if you were into astronomy, that would be a whole another matter!