Home

Please support mflenses.com if you need any graphic related work order it from us, click on above banner to order!

SearchSearch MemberlistMemberlist RegisterRegister ProfileProfile Log in to check your private messagesLog in to check your private messages Log inLog in

Poisonous spider
View previous topic :: View next topic  

PostPosted: Sat May 23, 2009 4:28 pm    Post subject: Poisonous spider Reply with quote

I get these almost all year, especially in my shed...Lester Dine 105

PostPosted: Sat May 23, 2009 5:06 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Hello Scott.

Impressive spiders !
What is their size ?
mm or cm ?

Thanks for those pics.
Smile

PostPosted: Sat May 23, 2009 5:22 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

That's a Black Widow, isn't it?

PostPosted: Sat May 23, 2009 5:29 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

A mature female is around 1.5 in (38 mm) long and 0.25 in (6.4 mm) in diameter. Males are much smaller...I hatched an egg case last Summer & there were close to a hundred babies from it. The scientific name is Latrodectus mactans of the genus found here in the Southeast US...

PostPosted: Sat May 23, 2009 5:53 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Screamin Scott wrote:
A mature female is around 1.5 in (38 mm) long and 0.25 in (6.4 mm) in diameter. Males are much smaller...I hatched an egg case last Summer & there were close to a hundred babies from it. The scientific name is Latrodectus mactans of the genus found here in the Southeast US...

Latrodectus mactans = BLACK WIDOW!

Wow! You are a brave man! Smile

tf

PostPosted: Sat May 23, 2009 6:23 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

you are brave Scott! I would approach that only with a 500mm Embarassed
"especially in my shed" Shocked I think I will delay my visit a while Rolling Eyes

PostPosted: Sat May 23, 2009 6:26 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Do you have some antidote at home?

PostPosted: Sat May 23, 2009 6:54 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

LucisPictor wrote:
Do you have some antidote at home?

No antidote at home although I'm sure the local hospital is prepared to treat bites. We also have the "Brown Recluse" spider here as well& their bite is said to be worse...I keep a healthy distance when shooting them. I did take an egg sac last year & put it in a plastic container until they hatched...Lot's & lots of little spiders running around then...I released them in the woods out behind my house...

PostPosted: Sat May 23, 2009 8:48 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

brrr, I hate spiders Confused I get goosbumps when I'm near them or when they are near me Laughing
I would run away Laughing

PostPosted: Sat May 23, 2009 9:08 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

I love spiders and every creatures, but deadly ones like this makes more , more careful. Luckily we don't have much deadly poisoned animals here.

Congrats for these great captures!

PostPosted: Sat May 23, 2009 10:30 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Very beutiful spider.
Not as cruel and dangerous as it's reputation.
But I really, really don't wanna get bit by one. Razz