Home

Please support mflenses.com if you need any graphic related work order it from us, click on above banner to order!

SearchSearch MemberlistMemberlist RegisterRegister ProfileProfile Log in to check your private messagesLog in to check your private messages Log inLog in

Mir-1V Broken End Stop
View previous topic :: View next topic  

PostPosted: Wed May 20, 2009 11:30 pm    Post subject: Mir-1V Broken End Stop Reply with quote

I received a package with a Zenit 15m, Mir 1V, and Helios 44m-6 the other day. Everything was in decent shape. The Mir however had a rattle on the inside. I feared that it might be a glass element but thankfully it was not. Turns out, upon removing the focus ring, that one of the end stops had broken loose. The thing is that the lens stops at infinity no problem. But without the second stop in place, it actually allows the lens to focus closer. Would the lens performance in this "extra-range" be unacceptable since the lens is not actually designed for this? Should I fix it? Any thoughts would be greatly appreciated.

~Marc

PostPosted: Thu May 21, 2009 12:20 am    Post subject: Re: Mir-1V Broken End Stop Reply with quote

themoleman342 wrote:
Would the lens performance in this "extra-range" be unacceptable since the lens is not actually designed for this? Should I fix it? Any thoughts would be greatly appreciated.

~Marc

I've used the lens on (short) tubes. I didn't do an extensive series of tests but the results were OK (for me). Of course wide angle lenses don't always do well at close distances (field curvature ?) but 37 mm is not very wide and it's up to you to decide whether or not the results are acceptable.

PostPosted: Thu May 21, 2009 12:42 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

Thanks for your input. One thing to note is that using tubes is a different thing altogether. All that is happening there is increasing the distance of the entire lens from film. In my case, the back elements are being separated from the front elements further than they were designed to. I'm not sure what to expect...

PostPosted: Thu May 21, 2009 1:41 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

themoleman342 wrote:
Thanks for your input. One thing to note is that using tubes is a different thing altogether.

Not really.

Quote:
All that is happening there is increasing the distance of the entire lens from film.

Yes and the optical cell moves with the lens and so it moves relative to the film/sensor plane. When you focus the optical cell moves relative to the film/sensor plane.

Quote:
In my case, the back elements are being separated from the front elements further than they were designed to.

I don't think so. I've never dismantled a Mir 1V but I assume that its similar to the Mir 1. The Mir 1 has no floating elements. All the elements are fixed relative to each other. Focusing, or adding tubes, simply moves the whole optical cell relative to the fim/sensor plane.