Home

Please support mflenses.com if you need any graphic related work order it from us, click on above banner to order!

SearchSearch MemberlistMemberlist RegisterRegister ProfileProfile Log in to check your private messagesLog in to check your private messages Log inLog in

Kinds of Exakta mounts for use of DSLR?
View previous topic :: View next topic  

PostPosted: Mon Jul 20, 2009 9:40 pm    Post subject: Kinds of Exakta mounts for use of DSLR? Reply with quote

I am and have been familiar with many mounts over the years but one I never paid much attention to are Exaktas. Please educate me or provide a url that will make clear what mounts from what makers are straightforwardly usable on a DSLR like a 5D, which not, and which are maybes.

I know the flange to film distance and the presets from CZJena and Meyer. These are fairly straightforward and presumably present no problem with, say, Exakta to EOS adapters.

Then there are non presets from these two manufacturers of two kinds - one with an "arm" and one with no arm. Can the ones with an arm be used with adapter on, say, a 5D or does one have to change something or are they just not usable? There are also Topcon lenses of both these types, mainly no arm, that claim to be usable straightforwardly on Exakta bodies, though I have heard many complaints over the years about how this is not always true.

Finally there are what are called Exakta mounts by many other makers about which I have heard much controversy about how they are or are not really true Exakta mounts usable like CZJena or Meyer lenses. If so, is there a list of these?

It seems that something may be going on that is similar to various M42 mounts, some of which were made to work _as manufactured_ only with certain cameras.

Any help would be greatly appreciated.

PostPosted: Tue Jul 21, 2009 1:25 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

Hi jmiro!

There's already another thread about Exacta-EOS adapters at

http://forum.mflenses.com/exakta-eos-adapter-that-locks-lens-t15862,highlight,exacta.html

PostPosted: Tue Jul 21, 2009 3:55 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

siriusdogstar wrote:
Hi jmiro!

There's already another thread about Exacta-EOS adapters at

http://forum.mflenses.com/exakta-eos-adapter-that-locks-lens-t15862,highlight,exacta.html

Thanks. It confirms some of what I have heard but also assumes that the reader knows basic facts about some of the questions I asked and thus leaves some of my basic questions unanswered.

PostPosted: Tue Jul 21, 2009 4:09 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

Hi, welcome to our forum!

i am using a Canon 40D btw ...

There are different versions of arms, some of them will clear and some not, I have used Schneider 50/1.9 and Schacht 135/2.8 and these arms will clear, but i remember that some won't.
You need to try yourself and try to remember ... lol
If the arm won't clear, some people will shave the arm, others will disassemble it.

The Topcon lens mount is very similar to the Exakta mount, but it has an extra aperture pin. Most Exakta adapters will not support this. You need to find an adapter with an extra sleeve.
However, an adapter that fits Topcon will also fit Exakta lenses.

PS For adapters ... you can pm me, i can get most adapters.

PostPosted: Tue Jul 21, 2009 6:15 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Thanks Alex. You have also already been very helpful with finding and shipping some adapters.

What you say confirms but with very useful specificity the confusing stuff I thought I heard over the years and gives me some guides in what to look for and how.

PostPosted: Tue Jul 21, 2009 6:53 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Watch out for lenses made for the external Exakta bayonet, like the Meyer Primotar 180 and Meyer Telemegor 300. There is no adapter for this mount.

Exakta cameras actually have a dual mount, and take both an internal and external bayonet. The external bayonet was meant for larger and heavier lenses. There were relatively few lenses made to use this mount, but they are around.

PostPosted: Tue Jul 21, 2009 8:35 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Thanks Luis. There is obviously good reason for all the confusing fuss about this supposedly straightforward "mount."